Recalled/Assigned: Brandon Segal Called Up (sent back to the Whale 1/20)

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
As far as I'm concerned...Carkner was responsible for us not getting out of the East . That is how I see it .:nod:
I'll give you Carkner but Lucic should not be a concern in the fighting dept. Bickel will have to take on Carkner and see what happens.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Carkner was a player I was hoping the Rangers would sign over the off-season. Steady #6/7 who can fight anyone. Great in the locker room as well.

Rupp, Asham and Bickel are fine.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Carkner was a player I was hoping the Rangers would sign over the off-season. Steady #6/7 who can fight anyone. Great in the locker room as well.

Rupp, Asham and Bickel are fine.

I think Bickel can be just as effective as Carkner. The ability is there.

Of course, hopefully this will all be moot when McIlrath cracks the roster. Goon lovers get their "heavy weight" and the rest of us can be content with the fact that we finally have a guy who can intimidate and fight, without being a major liability every time he steps on the ice.

But back on topic, I like adding Segal to the roster. Guy knows his job and does it well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rupp is 6'5'' 230 lbs

What exactly is your definition of a heavyweight if thats not one?

And Bickel is 6'4", 210. They're not the best fighters in the world, but they absolutely are heavies. They're not at an inherent disadvantage against anyone and will throw down with any willing party.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
But back on topic, I like adding Segal to the roster. Guy knows his job and does it well.

And the importance of the bolded cannot be understated, especially when it comes to bottom 6 forwards.

Thats why all of the "sign Gomez for the 4th line" stuff is such complete and utter rubbish.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Another thing to note is that a lot of these bottom pairing guys who are known for scrapping are former journeymen types who finally got their act together. Carkner and Engelland are two guys who didn't make the NHL until their late 20's. Now they've entrenched themselves on the roster. I've seen nothing in Bickel that doesn't lead me to believe he can be a similar story if he continues to work at it.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Another thing to note is that a lot of these bottom pairing guys who are known for scrapping are former journeymen types who finally got their act together. Carkner and Engelland are two guys who didn't make the NHL until their late 20's. Now they've entrenched themselves on the roster. I've seen nothing in Bickel that doesn't lead me to believe he can be a similar story if he continues to work at it.
I agree. From a hockey stand point, Bickel can be as good or better as those 2 in his late 20s. Would like to see him improve his skills with the gloves off. Bickel is not on that level, neither of those 2 would lose to the Haley's of the world.

Probably a moot point when McIlrath arrives. I don't expect Bickel to be with the Rangers at that point.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Rupp is 6'5'' 230 lbs

What exactly is your definition of a heavyweight if thats not one?

No question. Rupp is a heavyweight by size. He's a decent fighter too. He's not really an enforecer though. But...in this day and age of the game he is just fine. A big boy that can drop the mitts and play the game.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No question. Rupp is a heavyweight by size. He's a decent fighter too. He's not really an enforecer though. But...in this day and age of the game he is just fine. A big boy that can drop the mitts and play the game.

Its my hope that every other team loads up on what you call an enforcer and I call a goon.

Its one less roster spot the opposition has for an actual hockey player.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
"Probably a moot point when McIlrath arrives."

Is this guy really NHL material? And, when Rupp is into it (and that's the big question) he can go with the best.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Is this guy really NHL material? And, when Rupp is into it (and that's the big question) he can go with the best.

McIlrath is 100% NHL material. At this point I would be more surprised if he didn't make it than if he makes it. Solid defensively. Big wingspan which he uses to keep forwards uncomfortable. Intimidates. Great attitude. High hockey IQ. Good skater and has good footwork, especially for a player his size.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah he is. He's played well in his brief stint in Hartford. He still has a ways to go working on positioning, but he's mobile enough and understands how to play the position. He'll be a keeper.

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
Am I the only one that thinks Colby Armstrong signing a 1 million $ deal in Mtl. is cheap with what he brings to the table if healthy?!? Would have loved to have signed him for bottom 6.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Am I the only one that thinks Colby Armstrong signing a 1 million $ deal in Mtl. is cheap with what he brings to the table if healthy?!? Would have loved to have signed him for bottom 6.

No, I agree, but you have to bear a couple of things in mind:

1) It seems pretty clear that Rangers' management was looking for certain attributes in the guys they signed. For example, they clearly wanted Halpern's faceoff ability and Asham's sandpaper. Rupp was already signed and Boyle and Kreider/Hags (whichever is playing on the 3rd line) aren't going anywhere, so it really comes down to Armstrong vs. Pyatt - and I'd rather have Pyatt.

2) The player also has a say in where he signs. :) For a guy like Armstrong who likely still feels that he can contribute at a 3rd line or even 2nd line level, does it make more sense to sign on as the last forward for the Rangers where darn near every position ahead of him would've been set in stone - or MTL where he has a much better chance of moving up the roster as the season progresses? (And that leaves aside family considerations, which may also have drawn him to MTL over NY...)

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
As much as I like Armstrong he is also a bit of a loose cannon much like Ryan Hollweg . Armstrong is going to seriously hurt somebody in this league someday . He is a very dirty player . Our team does not have a need for anybody like that moving forward , physical guys we can always use...dirty , no way !!! Hopefully Armstrong finds a way to keep his elbows down and reform along the lines of Cooke .

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

he is also getting paid out by TO who bought him out. Yes the Leafs who stink bought him out. They just dumped Lombardi and Connolly too. Funny how they now go with youth after sucking for so long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->