Prospect Info: Brandon Saigeon C (2018 140th overall)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
For anyone wondering the pronunciation of his last name, it's "Say-Jen". Way too often his name is mis-pronounced as Seguin (like Tyler Seguin), "Say-Jon", "Say-Jean".

I'll post more about him another time. Have seen him play countless times in person and on tv. Saigeon was an integral part to the Hamilton Bulldogs OHL championship this season as he was Hamilton's leading goal scorer in the playoffs, and 2nd in OHL playoffs.

Here's the OHL player playoff stats: Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Scoring that many goals in the OHL at 20 isn't as much of an accomplishment as you'd think. Another pick I'm not a real fan of, probably a pure AHL depth player who never sniffs the NHL.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m not gonna being passed over against a pick, even twice. Happens a lot, many guys develop between significantly between 18-20. Look at a guy like Perunovich. Teams are less and less afraid to pick overagers high. Certainly you have to take everything into consideration; Perunovich dominates with skill which translates while Saigeon dominates juniors with strength and that advantage will simply not be as big as he becomes a pro. But he was certainly worth of getting drafted and whether it is 5th round or 7th round can really be splitting hairs because scouts are going to have all kinds of different opinions.

It’s interesting to note that Saigeon was very highly touted early in his OHL career and it just took him a while to find his feet and the right situation so this is not Mitchell Heard in that he was and has always been seen as a player of some skill and pedigree...and obviously we only spent a 5th not 2nd rounder.

All that said, I don’t hold any great feelings that Saigeon is going to be some amazing gem - just that he seems like a fair use of 5th round pick for a guy with some interesting tools.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I posted this in your Draft GDT thread so it might have gotten lost. Apologies on the double post but for those interested, I can give you guys a little insight regarding Saigeon as I watched him in person numerous times with Hamilton this year.

First and foremost, he has an excellent shot. Kid can snipe it. Pretty good on the defensive end of the ice. I thought he was an average skater but that can be worked on.

Had an excellent OHL playoff but he must have gotten dinged up the first game of the Memorial Cup in Regina as he seemed limited and was not very effective for the duration of the tournament.

Was a former top 5 OHL draft selection.

The problem with him is his consistency. Some nights he was completely invisible.

I had talked to two scouts from NHL clubs during the OHL Final and they both mentioned it was likely he would be a late round pick.

He will be able to step in to your AHL club.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Hepple said they should have drafted him last year, had an injury so went undrafted. Pegs him at 3c.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Our new Henley it seems.

Well the Avs certainly have a type.

Seems like they keep trying to find a Stephane Yelle type as their 4th line center :

Henley (as you mentioned)
Heard
Josh Dickinson
Toninato
Saigeon [for some reason, I want to call him Karl]

All 6'1" and up, all centers and all left-handed shots.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Another one of my posts being sucked up by the blackhole. He's a very strong player in terms of toughness with the puck and in skating ability. So I don't know how much that corresponds to being two to three years old than majority of the competition he played against. I would like this a lot more if he was 19 years old instead of 20 because absolutely nobody was able to touch him due to the strengths I mentioned. Besides that he is a very underrated stickhandler and see's the ice well enough to get around.

Like a lot of Avs picks he is very competitive, plays a full two-way game, and sticks up for teammates by dropping the gloves on occasion. Definitely a player who can solidify the depth on the bottom two lines and provide some gritty and secondary scoring. A comparisons I like is Josh Anderson of the Blue Jackets or maybe Radka Faska for positions.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs special. I see no upside in drafting 20 year old guys. He will max out as a 4th liner. Much rather pick someone that can become better.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hepple said they should've taken this guy last year, mentioned that he was a bit banged up and broke his arm during his draft year. Has a lot of good character traits and almost broke McDavid's OHL playoff goal record.

Hepple see's him top off as a 3rd line centre who can play at both ends of the ice. Doesn't know if he's going to play in the AHL or OHL next season.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I'm curious about this player's potential. Has 37 points in 21 games with a .500 Hamilton team so far this season. Can anyone comment on his play this year? Wondering if his ceiling is still viewed as a 3C.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs special. I see no upside in drafting 20 year old guys. He will max out as a 4th liner. Much rather pick someone that can become better.

Ehhhh he was a fifth rounder. I don't see this as a wasted pick or anything. It's not like this is Mitchell Heard and he was the team's first pick this year.

I DO think the Avs made a mistake in not leaving room for him at the AHL level, and I think they know it. But whatever, he'll likely get a shot in Loveland next season.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Generals Acquire Brandon Saigeon from Bulldogs in Exchange for Draft Selections – Oshawa Generals

Oshawa, ON- The Oshawa Generals announced today they have acquired Brandon Saigeon from the Hamilton Bulldogs in exchange for draft selections.

Generals receive:
  • Forward Brandon Saigeon
Generals trade:
  • 2 x 2nd Round Selections
  • 3rd Round Selections
“Brandon is a proven playoff performer,” said Vice President and General Manager Roger Hunt on the deal. “Last year he had 25 points in 21 playoff games during Hamilton’s championship run. He has Memorial Cup experience which was an important factor for our organization.”
Saigeon is a Colorado Avalanche prospect, in his overage season. This year he has tallied 25 goals and 36 assists in 40 games, sitting in fifth in Ontario Hockey League scoring.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Avs still have yet to sign him.

If they signed him, he would need to immediately go play in the AHL/ECHL. He’s a 20 year old playing his overage season in the OHL.

Avs will sign him when the Generals finish their season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad