Value of: Brandon Saad

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
haven't followed Sprong this year, if he can slide over to LW, I would put him with Kaner and Schmaltz and see what they could do...

I really like that defense though, keeps Manning and Davidson out of the lineup!!
I'd do the same just wasn't sure if Sprong played LW

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Sprong could play LW he'd be doing it in Pittsburgh.

I like Saad as a bounceback candidate, but if Sprong averaged 17+ minutes a night with linemates the calibre of Kane and Schmaltz, I think he'd put up better numbers as a rookie than Saad did last year. And probably not by a little.

t6Eofsn.jpg

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Saad's a 35ish point player from here on out, no one's gonna want him at that cap hit.

I doubt he forgot how to play hockey while in his prime. More likely, he left the Hawks when they were a powerhouse, continued to score with Columbus and came back to the Hawks when their depth was chipped away and being asked to do too much helping anchor Toews' line and replace Panarin's production.

He's not a ppg+ offensive player. He's a complementary piece.

Throw him with Malkin and he goes back to 50ish points. Mostly at ES. Which is great for us because we have no need for a LHS on the PP.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Not a bad proposal. I’d prefer swapping out Beaudin for Ian Mitchell though, as RHD is more of a surplus than LHD is for the Hawks.
Mitchell is the one D prospect outside of Joker and Boqvist who should probably be untradeable. Also this is a Quennevile team expect any one of those young three to play on their offside like we’ve seen with Murphy, Hjalmarsson etc. Also Boqvist can apparently play on the left side.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Saad's a weird case right now. His best game came last night, but getting scored on while he was on the ice in OT probably helped him get 4th line duties.

So do the Hawks sell low on him by trading him now, or are they better off keeping him and hoping he finds his game again. He is only a year removed from a 53pt season where almost all of those points came at even strength.

Unless the price is right, I think we should keep him for now. Though that Drouin/Scherbak deal posted above is enticing.

Honestly, I agree with you. Unless you get a deal that you absolutely can't say no to, keep him and hope he rebounds. He's too good to keep playing like he has been, in my opinion.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Mitchell is the one D prospect outside of Joker and Boqvist who should probably be untradeable. Also this is a Quennevile team expect any one of those young three to play on their offside like we’ve seen with Murphy, Hjalmarsson etc. Also Boqvist can apparently play on the left side.

I’d say it goes Jokijaru, Boqvist, Beaudin, Mitchell in order of untradeable

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I’d trade Saad in trade deadline for picks and prospects if Hawks arent competing for playoff spot. Today I wouldnt trade him and just let him figure it out.

If he doesnt figure it out, trade him and give Panarin the money.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Might be healthy scratch next game!?
With the Hawks looking good this year, I would think they would be open for a change of scenery type of deal in which they would acquire a similar player/case...
Anybody has a suggestion on who would fit that description?

Shattenkirk, N.Ritchie ?

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
What Emp mentioned is along the lines of what we can offer. Sprong could be on the table.

We've wanted Saad for awhile. Ownership is always in JRs ear about bringing in local kids. To the point where we were about to blow our wad on bringing in Saad over Kessel a few years ago.
Yes I remember the Pens being interested in Saad and may be a great spot for him. Sprong is a good prospect. I know i wouldn't want Maata as his footspeed is not great and in this league speed kills.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Trading Saad now would be the textbook example of buying high and selling low. I doubt that we move him, especially if tied to anything remotely of value (either received or sent to sweeten the pot).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Saad for Callahan? If Saad is going to be a 4th liner or healthy scratch Chicago can get a player who is better suited for that bottom 6 role, saves Chicago a little in cap and has 1 less year left on his deal which expires when DeBrincat is due a raise. For Tampa they get a guy with higher upside who could possibly turn it around with a change of scenery. The extra year and higher cap hit aren't ideal but if he improves can be a future trade piece and his buyout would be cheaper than Callahan's the first two years if it came to that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad