Brandon Prust: Typical Canadian kid living out everyone's dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Splatman Phanutier said:
Downgraded? That was my first post in this thread.

As for the scoring part, I still have no idea what the hell your talking about. Why won't he make the NHL again? And how does players drafted to be a 1st liner DIRECTLY correlate to Prust's development? :amazed:
Well, I'll tell you one thing. The odds are stacked against him big time to be an NHL regular, whether it be a 4th line or whatever. Anybody who says he is a virtual 'sure thing" 4th liner is smoking weed (or worse). Take a gander over the course of time of the 3rd rounders, & it aint pretty how many ever became regulars in any sense of the word.

Phanuthier*

Sammy said:
Well, I'll tell you one thing. The odds are stacked against him big time to be an NHL regular, whether it be a 4th line or whatever. Anybody who says he is a virtual 'sure thing" 4th liner is smoking weed (or worse). Take a gander over the course of time of the 3rd rounders, & it aint pretty how many ever became regulars in any sense of the word.
How about drafting overagers, 3rd round or higher? The last one the Flames tried was Matt Lombardi, and that worked out pretty well. One of the great things about drafting and overage player.

I believe it was Darryl Sutter or Flames head scout Tod Button who said Prust is "almost NHL ready"

Phanuthier*

Habsfan 32 said:
I think Prust could become a 3rd liner but that his at maximum potential but I think he has enough skill to be a 4th liner.
I think 3rd line is a little generous, but if you are really good away from the puck (as Prust is) then you can make a difference on 3rd lines, or (for Nystrom at least) 2nd as well.

Sammy*

Splatman Phanutier said:
How about drafting overagers, 3rd round or higher? The last one the Flames tried was Matt Lombardi, and that worked out pretty well. One of the great things about drafting and overage player.

I believe it was Darryl Sutter or Flames head scout Tod Button who said Prust is "almost NHL ready"
Thats like saying ther last time the Flames drafted a 5'6" tenacious kid in the 7th round (Fleury) he turned into a potential H of F'r, so therefore the next time they do its a good chance it will happen again. The world doesnt work that way. If he was such a sure thing he wouldnt have taken so long to be drafted. All I say is take a look at all the kids drafted in the 3rd round or later & tell me how sure a thing anything is.
Lastly, if I could have a dime everytime I have heard a coach/GM/Scout or whatever say "almost NHL ready" & the kid never plays regularly in the show...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Sammy said:
Thats like saying ther last time the Flames drafted a 5'6" tenacious kid in the 7th round (Fleury) he turned into a potential H of F'r, so therefore the next time they do its a good chance it will happen again. The world doesnt work that way. If he was such a sure thing he wouldnt have taken so long to be drafted. All I say is take a look at all the kids drafted in the 3rd round or later & tell me how sure a thing anything is.
Lastly, if I could have a dime everytime I have heard a coach/GM/Scout or whatever say "almost NHL ready" & the kid never plays regularly in the show...

Actually, it was either Sutter or Button (Tod) that has said they have been watching this kid for a couple years now and finally decided to take the chance on him. It's not like it was a wild pick. Sutter has made some solid picks so far. Prust's game will never be offensive but he excels at forechecking and fighting. IMO, he will be a Clark-type player for the Flames. A role guy who is there for energy and some PK time.

Sammy*

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Actually, it was either Sutter or Button (Tod) that has said they have been watching this kid for a couple years now and finally decided to take the chance on him. It's not like it was a wild pick. Sutter has made some solid picks so far. Prust's game will never be offensive but he excels at forechecking and fighting. IMO, he will be a Clark-type player for the Flames. A role guy who is there for energy and some PK time.
My point remains the same. The odds are stacked against any draft pick making the NHL, but even moreso as you go down the draft food chain.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Douggy said:
Look at the guy: He gets five o'clock shadow at 9 am. He's not going to 'mature' any more.
People, and players stop maturing at the age of 20? :help:

Most people here would agree that Prust has the upside of a 4th line NHL player, some have said that he could play in a 3rd line role. He was a 19 year old 3rd round draft choise.. not really insane expectations.

Phanuthier*

Sammy said:
I think you missed the point, Sammy. When drafting an 18 year old kid, in most cases, you are taking on a project - a kid with some pretty good tools, but has to refine his game and learn how to use all these tools. When drafting an overage player, eg 20, then your taking on someone who has more of a refined and mature game, and you have a better idea of what kind of player your getting. That is the case with Prust. I think given the extra time of development, Prust's game has matured such that scouts have a good idea of what type of player Prust is (as opposed to a raw project). Granted, his upside isn't high, but if you can pull a NHL player out of a 3rd round (or higher) pick, that is a pretty good selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->