Value of: Brandon Pirri to Columbus

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think it might be worth it for the Jackets to take a flyer on Brandon Pirri. He would come relatively cheap, and could push Gregory Campbell out of the lineup. If the CBJ could sign him for 1.25M, that would be pretty nice as it would give them more NHL depth at C.

from SportsNet:

Over the past three seasons combined he ranks 13th amongst the 415 NHL forwards who have played 1000+ minutes in goals scored per 60 minutes with 1.31. The players who rank immediately behind Pirri in this regard are – in order – Evgeni Malkin (1.30), Brad Marchand (1.28), John Tavares (1.27), Zach Parise (1.27) and James Neal (1.26).

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Karlsson-Foligno
Calvert-Pirri-Anderson
- Clarkson, Campbell as extras

Thoughts?

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
He might work out in Columbus. Pirri is a talented scorer but, unfortunately, one of the worst skaters I've ever seen. He's great in the shootout as well, but, because of his foot-speed and play in the defensive end, works best when playing in a sheltered role.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It would qualify as a "sheltered role" per the previous poster. Should he be on an NHL roster and if not at 4th line then where? Thanks.

He is an atrocious defensive player and thus using him at C even on 4th line is terrible idea

Also your 4th line is unlikely to have much offensive talent so why bother signing such a flawed player in Pirri for 4th line role? He isn't cut out for that type of game traditionally suited to 4th line players

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I know he's listed as a center, but isn't he more suited for the wing?

Yup. He's got a very quick release and plays a sniper-type game - bad defensively, prefers to shoot instead of pass (which would explain his elevated G/60).

It would qualify as a "sheltered role" per the previous poster. Should he be on an NHL roster and if not at 4th line then where? Thanks.

RW "trigger man" on a 2nd line (or 3rd line if the team runs 3 scoring lines) would be the ideal spot. The problem is that team has to be pretty bad in order to have someone so one-dimensional on its 2nd line. What he needs to do is sign a two-way deal and then score a bunch of goals in the Top 6 of an AHL team and hope the NHL club has some injuries that force a callup - honestly, the Kings might be the best fit in that regard, since they could shelter him defensively and Gaborik seems to have his injury concerns. From there, he should be hoping that Vegas takes a chance on him when they come into the league next season - there's a chance he could be one of the best pure "scorers" available to them.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind him on the Flames 2nd line for short term.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Frolik - Backlund - Pirri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad