Brandon Naurato's work with Joe Veleno already paying off

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I just read Max Bultman's article in the Athletic and Shawn Horcoff talked about the role Naurato played in helping Veleno improve his shot. Larkin has been working with him and he's obviously trending very strongly. It's looking like Drapes and Horcoff found a difference maker in Naurato, which is exactly what we need.

Reactions: Sparkzuk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny thing has been, when reading that main "prospects" board, is how other team guys now are now crying after missing Veleno.

Mostly it seemed to be because of his weak shot.

Seems to be it's not weak anymore. :)

Drafting plan number one = take players with the room for development. Nothing is set in the stone as 18-year old.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I just read Max Bultman's article in the Athletic and Shawn Horcoff talked about the role Naurato played in helping Veleno improve his shot. Larkin has been working with him and he's obviously trending very strongly. It's looking like Drapes and Horcoff found a difference maker in Naurato, which is exactly what we need.

Maybe.
Let's see where Veleno's shot is 4 months from now.

But I liked how much he was shooting.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Funny thing has been, when reading that main "prospects" board, is how other team guys now are now crying after missing Veleno.

Mostly it seemed to be because of his weak shot.

Seems to be it's not weak anymore. :)

Drafting plan number one = take players with the room for development. Nothing is set in the stone as 18-year old.

People said the same thing about Robert Thomas.
No shot.
Now the kid is a Stanley Cup champ.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
With a name like that, you'd figure he'd be a conditioning coach.

narutorunning.jpg

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Here's the relevant quote from the Athletic:

"We worked on trying to make (Veleno's) release quicker, we worked on trying to help him change the angle a little bit more and add a little bit more deception to his shot,” said Red Wings director of player development Shawn Horcoff on Monday morning. Player development consultant Brandon Naurato “was great with that — he’s very good in those instances — and I think it showed. He scored some really nice goals here so far."

He was interviewed by Craig Custance on the Full 60 podcast.
Link:
Listen to The Full 60 - The Athletic

He was also named to the Top 40 under 40.
Link:
TPH's Brandon Naurato named to The Athletic's Top 40 Under 40 in hockey

Finally he wrote an article in the Athletic.
Link:
Analyzing how the Red Wings score, how it compares to the...

I didn't pay too much attention when he was hired but there's some signs that he's a pretty legit development guy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Here's the relevant quote from the Athletic:

"We worked on trying to make (Veleno's) release quicker...................

Finally he wrote an article in the Athletic.
Link:

I didn't pay too much attention when he was hired but there's some signs that he's a pretty legit development guy.
@Run the Jewels
Did you read this article? If so, could you provide some highlights/bulletpoints? Thanks in advance.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
@Run the Jewels
Did you read this article? If so, could you provide some highlights/bulletpoints? Thanks in advance.

Basically, Naurato has spent some time watching NHL goals...like all of them, but this piece was about what works on the powerplay. Specifically with the intent of following how they are scored. Whether they are started on a breakout, a rush, an offensive zone set up; whether they are scored by forwards or defensemen; the location of the goal, whether it's net front, back door, half wall, point, bumper (slot); the type of shot, deflection, slap shot, backhand, one time, etc, and a few other points.

The point that I was making in last night's GDT was how the powerplay looks different in this offseason/preseason stretch of scrimmages and games. I noticed in the prospect camp/scrimmage, in the prospects tournament, and now in the first game of the preseason, the powerplay looks like it's generating more dangerous chances, and chances in general, at a higher rate because of a clear change in philosophy in how the puck is moving in the offensive zone. In the past, we used the "umbrella" structure way to rigidly; the puck movement was pretty much isolated to rotating from half boards to point man to half boards in just a swooping set of perimeter passes. Every once in a while you would get a pass down low to the net front guy (similar to how Ras scored his goal last night if you look at GDT I'm sure there's probably a replay), but for the most, it was perimeter passing with the eventual shot to a congested net front and hoping for a deflection, screen, or rebound. In the article, Naurato and Scott discuss the idea of the "Royal Road" and basically how passes across the center point of the rink generate an high amount of success relative to powerplays that don't utilize those passes. Think of the powerplays you see from Tampa where Kucherov can control the puck from the half wall, find a passing lane, and sling a pass across to Stamkos on the other half wall, or on the back door set up, resulting in a goal. That concept is the idea of the Royal Road passes and how they can make a powerplay more effective. I think that Naurato joining the Wings not only has an impact on player development, but I think he is like the super attention to detail and analytics poster child that a team needs to transform the identity of a team to be on the cutting edge of what works and what doesn't.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Basically, Naurato has spent some time watching NHL goals...like all of them......................... I think he is like the super attention to detail and analytics poster child that a team needs to transform the identity of a team to be on the cutting edge of what works and what doesn't.
How Power Play Goals are Scored in the NHL - The Hockey Think Tank

Thanks @HenKolland, I ended up reading this one after I posted. I'm surprised we didn't already have a guy or team of analysts doing this already. The changes SY is bringing to the team are long overdue, as we were behind the times.

Reactions: mantha39

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How Power Play Goals are Scored in the NHL - The Hockey Think Tank

Thanks @HenKolland, I ended up reading this one after I posted. I'm surprised we didn't already have a guy or team of analysts doing this already. The changes SY is bringing to the team are long overdue, as we were behind the times.

What is really interesting is that I don't know if this was an Yzerman move. Maybe Yzerman's presence and fresh thinking allowed for different names and ideas to rise to the surface, but Naurato was actually brought on in the summer of 2018. He met and spoke with Draper, who put him in contact with Horcoff, who organized time with Ben Simon, and he was just brought on in that capacity. According to this article Red Wings hire Naurato for player development role

If this truly is a change that was driven by Draper, it's even more of a resume builder for Draper. I would do everything in my power to keep Draper in this organization as long as possible. His messages on scouting draft eligible players have always been well received by me, and if he also has the presence of mind to push the envelope and improve the way the Red Wings operate, I'm all for it.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In the article, Naurato and Scott discuss the idea of the "Royal Road" and basically how passes across the center point of the rink generate an high amount of success relative to powerplays that don't utilize those passes. Think of the powerplays you see from Tampa where Kucherov can control the puck from the half wall, find a passing lane, and sling a pass across to Stamkos on the other half wall, or on the back door set up, resulting in a goal. That concept is the idea of the Royal Road passes and how they can make a powerplay more effective. I think that Naurato joining the Wings not only has an impact on player development, but I think he is like the super attention to detail and analytics poster child that a team needs to transform the identity of a team to be on the cutting edge of what works and what doesn't.

This Royal Road is not news for hockey people. I already did read this article at 2016, and I think it was written year earlier, and it now has some august 2019 update with a podcast.

The Most Important Line on the Ice You've Never Heard Of

Also saw some old data elsewhere years ago, where Teuvo Teräväinen was making these Royal Road passes most per icetime on his Chicago Blackhawks days of all Hawks players. He has been quite a PP killer last 3 seasons at Carolina.

When I was watching the game yesterday, the Red Wings PP is still very predictable, if we don't have any legit right-handed shooters. Everybody knows we will try to create that one-timer from left side to right for a lefty to shoot. There's no threat on left side, because there's no righty. Only way to create some threat is that play where Rasmussen socred. Hirose passed the puck near the goal and this behind-to-front move from Rasmussen was kind of net-front royal road move and resulted a (lucky) goal. It's put the goalie on move, and opens the package. = lowers the save percentage = higher shooting percentage.

One interesting thing with Royal Road passes is still screening, if the screener can screen the goalie from that pass. Not the screen for the shot, but the pass before a shot. Then the goalie is totally late, when one-timer happens from different side. It just takes some timing from all the 5-man unit to make every detail happen at right time, and then it will be lethal.

Good to hear that Naurato is on the right page of this things, and Red Wings "old" power-play is coming back from this stone age of power-plays. Our superstar guys did these same things when we were at our best, and when we last time had Elite right-handed shooter (Shanahan). What a heck... 14 years ago...

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This Royal Road is not news for hockey people. I already did read this article at 2016, and I think it was written year earlier, and it now has some august 2019 update with a podcast.

The Most Important Line on the Ice You've Never Heard Of

Also saw some old data elsewhere years ago, where Teuvo Teräväinen was making these Royal Road passes most per icetime on his Chicago Blackhawks days of all Hawks players. He has been quite a PP killer last 3 seasons at Carolina.

When I was watching the game yesterday, the Red Wings PP is still very predictable, if we don't have any legit right-handed shooters. Everybody knows we will try to create that one-timer from left side to right for a lefty to shoot. There's no threat on left side, because there's no righty. Only way to create some threat is that play where Rasmussen socred. Hirose passed the puck near the goal and this behind-to-front move from Rasmussen was kind of net-front royal road move and resulted a (lucky) goal. It's put the goalie on move, and opens the package. = lowers the save percentage = higher shooting percentage.

One interesting thing with Royal Road passes is still screening, if the screener can screen the goalie from that pass. Not the screen for the shot, but the pass before a shot. Then the goalie is totally late, when one-timer happens from different side. It just takes some timing from all the 5-man unit to make every detail happen at right time, and then it will be lethal.

Good to hear that Naurato is on the right page of this thing, and Red Wings "old" power-play is coming back from this stone age of power-plays. Our superstar guys did these same things when we were at our best, and when we last time had Elite right-handed shooter (Shanahan). What a heck... 14 years ago...

I think you are over-stating the requirement of the right hand shot in this situation. Obviously if you are built like Tampa with Stamkos and Kucherov able to post up on opposite half walls, you have an embarrassment of riches, but teams are able to pull this off without having two top tier goal scorers on either side. I don't consider Washington to have an legit left hand handed shooters on their powerplay, and that is kind of illustrated in the video below. They have no problem utilizing dominant right hand shots facilitated by playmakers on the opposite side. This isn't to say that you don't want to have the balance on both sides, but I think you could utilize the same concepts of Washington's powerplay despite not having the handedness.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Naurato article from the Athletic.

Small parts from the article:

Where do the Red Wings need to get better?

The No. 1 adjustment for them this summer should be to find a way to create more offensive zone possession time. Starting with their entires, they can make adjustments to enter as a unit instead of always attacking as individuals.

Better decisions on entry will lead to more offensive zone possession time. The alternative is turning the puck over or chipping the puck deep and having to work to go and get it back.

Establishing more offensive zone possession time will also lead to wearing other teams down. This will help the Red Wings’ struggling power play get more opportunities.

It has always been like this. Everything adds up. Penalties by accident will happen, when you control the puck in offensive end. Players stand on opposite team sticks = tripping penalty etc.

What personnel additions can be made to fit this style?

Draft, develop and sign puck-moving defensemen. The top possession teams in the league have their defensemen involved in every offensive scenario.
The Red Wings need an influx of defensemen who push the pace and join the rush.

This just sounds so much of an Yzerplan we have seen. Drafting Seider was exactly this. Tuomisto too. Kaski too. Hoar guys from everywhere, develop them and keep the best.

Everything will start from the own end. Good 1st pass --> better possession through neutral zone --> more offensive zone time. Then everything adds up and success begins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->