Confirmed with Link: Brandon Mashinter for Tommy Grant a 2014 7th round pick

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Based on what?

I also don't understand the Rupp hate around here.

Ingrates. (shakes head)

Based on the Winter Classic alone, no one should breathe a syllable of complaint about Mike Rupp.

Guy played hurt all year, very solid in the locker room. He's a player any coach/GM would feel comfortable having around his younger players. You don't grow guys like that on trees.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Ingrates. (shakes head)

Based on the Winter Classic alone, no one should breathe a syllable of complaint about Mike Rupp.

Guy played hurt all year, very solid in the locker room. He's a player any coach/GM would feel comfortable having around his younger players. You don't grow guys like that on trees.

In a salary cap league, 1.5 for what Rupp brought last year (almost nothing, besides the winter classic) is unacceptable.

Hopefully he has a better year.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
In a salary cap league, 1.5 for what Rupp brought last year (almost nothing, besides the winter classic) is unacceptable.

He played on a bum knee all season. I expect a better year.

I always find it comical when folks on this board think any Joe Schmo can waltz in here and do a 4th liners job for the league minimum.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Go back and what 24/7. It's clear that Rupp has the respect of the coaching staff and a voice in the lockerroom. That may not show up on the scoresheet or even in his play on the ice. But there's definite value there.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

I always find it comical when folks on this board think any Joe Schmo can waltz in here and do a 4th liners job for the league minimum.

Punching Fatso and putting Bernier on his ass made his season an automatic success.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dunno about that.. people said that when the Bickel and John Mitchell trades was made

My heart is pounding with excitement thinking we might have the next John Mitchell or Stu Bickel on our hands.

Ill go ahead and stick with the thought you'll most likely never hear from this guy.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Same. People forget that Rupp was not 100% most of the season. For the most part, he's a great bottom-6 option. I think him having a comeback season will REALLY help bolster the bottom-6.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Same. People forget that Rupp was not 100% most of the season. For the most part, he's a great bottom-6 option. I think him having a comeback season will REALLY help bolster the bottom-6.

Theres a lot of personnel change in that bottom 6. Im looking for both Rupp and Boyle to not only have good seasons, but also instill to the newcomers whats expected in those roles - especially Rupp.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Go back and what 24/7. It's clear that Rupp has the respect of the coaching staff and a voice in the lockerroom. That may not show up on the scoresheet or even in his play on the ice. But there's definite value there.

That's fine, but considering how tight the cap is gonna be next year he needs to bring more than that.

You're right, he was playing on a bum knee. Let's see if his play was because of the knee, or because he's a 33 year old dude with a lot of mileage. Hopefully it was the knee.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That's fine, but considering how tight the cap is gonna be next year he needs to bring more than that.

You're right, he was playing on a bum knee. Let's see if his play was because of the knee, or because he's a 33 year old dude with a lot of mileage. Hopefully it was the knee.

Yes, Mike Rupp is one of the big cap concerns for next season.

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
A fourth liner needs to bring more than leadership, toughness and willingness to fight? All with a whopping cap hit of 1.5M?

He wasn't very good at fighting last year, and he could barely keep up with people to be tough. Most of his fights weren't decisive victories, and Prust still had to take on plenty of bigger guys. Last years Rupp simply wasn't worth 1.5. Hopefully it was the knee and he can have a better year.

Talk about foolish? Get out of here. Paying guys like Rupp 1.5 is the epitome of foolish when we have so many more important players to keep. But go ahead, act like it isn't a concern if his play doesn't improve.

I'm fully hoping he improves. If he doesn't, though, it's a problem. That's all i'm saying. Acting like it wouldn't be a concern is just sweeping the issue under the rug.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He wasn't very good at fighting last year, and he could barely keep up with people to be tough. Most of his fights weren't decisive victories, and Prust still had to take on plenty of bigger guys. Last years Rupp simply wasn't worth 1.5. Hopefully it was the knee and he can have a better year.

Talk about foolish? Get out of here. Paying guys like Rupp 1.5 is the epitome of foolish when we have so many more important players to keep. But go ahead, act like it isn't a concern if his play doesn't improve.

I'm fully hoping he improves. If he doesn't, though, it's a problem. That's all i'm saying. Acting like it wouldn't be a concern is just sweeping the issue under the rug.

Brad Richards wasnt worth his contract either if thats the type of measurement you're using. What about the leadership aspect? As SBOB mentioned, Rupp is a well-liked, experienced voice in the room - as is Richards. Theres intrinsic value in there. As a Ranger fan, you dont need to go back to far to see what a room containing no or toxic leadership gets you.

And yes, I think it is a bit foolish to complain about Mike Rupp and his salary, trying to frame it like it could be the big factor in not signing the younger players.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Brad Richards wasnt worth his contract either if thats the type of measurement you're using. What about the leadership aspect? As SBOB mentioned, Rupp is a well-liked, experienced voice in the room - as is Richards. Theres intrinsic value in there. As a Ranger fan, you dont need to go back to far to see what a room containing no or toxic leadership gets you.

And yes, I think it is a bit foolish to complain about Mike Rupp and his salary, trying to frame it like it could be the big factor in not signing the younger players.

It certainly CAN be a factor, considering how tight we're up against the cap once it goes down.

I'm not downplaying his leadership abilities, all i'm saying is his one the ice play last year was not good. I don't understand how we can argue about that, and I don't think the team would've went off the rails if we didn't have Rupp's leadership skills considering everybody else we have in the room.

He needs to have a better year, simple as that. With Prust gone, he needs to be a better fighter. He also needs to bring a more offensive aspect to the 4th line, which he WAS capable of doing in the past.

Punxrocknyc19*

It certainly CAN be a factor, considering how tight we're up against the cap once it goes down.

I'm not downplaying his leadership abilities, all i'm saying is his one the ice play last year was not good. I don't understand how we can argue about that, and I don't think the team would've went off the rails if we didn't have Rupp's leadership skills considering everybody else we have in the room.

He needs to have a better year, simple as that. With Prust gone, he needs to be a better fighter. He also needs to bring a more offensive aspect to the 4th line, which he WAS capable of doing in the past.

he did score a hat trick against NYR :laugh:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

So say you from the comfort of your couch. How exactly do you know it's almost nothing? Are you with those guys every day?

Right.

All we folks here on this nice chat board know is that Tort's (not someone who gives praise lightly) loves "Rupper". If the Rangers were dissatisfied with Rupp, he would be gone. Simple as that. But you keep crunching those numbers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mashinter wore one of the three A's for Worcester. Seems like a good leader as well.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I loved the Rupp signing then and still love it now.

Actually, for the first time since the early nineties, I can honestly say I like every player on this team for the role he plays. There isn't a single guy who I think is playing in the wrong role, on a bad contract or simply a bad fit. Can't wait for the season to start!

And on that same topic while actually being on topic for this thread, I know nothing about Mashinter, but he seems like he has a chance to be a Rupp-like player (the news about wearing the A only confirms that profile). Happy to give up some AHL scoring to get a guy with that kind of upside.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Most fights aren't decisive. They never have been and it's not necessarily the point. The point is the willingness and any team's ability or reluctance to defend its own. I liked the Rupp signing because unlike Derek Booggard, Colton Orr or an on his last legs Donald Brashear Rupp can play--he can skate at an NHL pace-play his position defensively well enough and even once in a while put a puck in the net. He's not the feared fighter that Booggard, Orr or Brashear were but he can hang in there with the heavies even if he loses and bounce back up in the same game. He also took the heat off of Prust to fight people way over his weight class. Both would probably lose against George Parros for instance but Rupp would be a lot less likely to get seriously hurt.

$1.5 mil by the way is not an albatross of a contract. Much worse when a player like Redden has multiple years of a much higher salary.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I liked the Rupp signing from day 1, I even was hoping they would sign him over last off-season. He is a veteran with a lot of experience and he is difficult to play against because of his size, strength and skating ability when healthy. He wasn't healthy all of last season. He is a warrior. Perfect tough-guy in this new NHL.

I am hoping Mashinter can turn into the same type of player. Develop his skating and his defensive game and he can carve out a NHL career. Offense is a plus, forechecking and defensive play are what will lead to him having a NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad