Confirmed with Link: Brandon Mashinter for Tommy Grant a 2014 7th round pick

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I like the trade.

Personally I think the most important thing for the whale is to develop the young players. Grant we all know was never going to amount to anything in the NHL. Yea the Whale loses some offense from this, but really, big deal.

Mashinter can do some of the heavy lifting so McIlrath can focus on other things. And Mashinter is still only 24, may have some upside yet, maybe as a sort of future Rupp.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I didn't really see ANY upside in Grant at all. Don't know anything about Mashinter, but this seems like a totally irrelevant deal in the grand scheme of things.

Punxrocknyc19*

I didn't really see ANY upside in Grant at all. Don't know anything about Mashinter, but this seems like a totally irrelevant deal in the grand scheme of things.

The fact that Mashinter played in the NHL already and is younger. Remember the Stu Bickel trade. I wont be shocked if Mashinter is with NYR at some point.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Someone was talking about Mashinter a few years ago, Dagoon? Lion Hound? Like the deal, good protector for the Whale.

I don't think I mentioned him. In the fight department it looks like he kicked everyone's ass in Jrs. At the AHL level he wins more than he loses. He's got some heavy hands. I'm guessing he headed to the Whale to lighten the load for McIlrath. Could be more too it. Maybe they didn't like Grant in the room or something? That's just a guess.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This is the AHL enforcer deal many on here were clamoring for in the past week or so.

Wonder of this was in any way influenced by Thomas dropping the mitts last night.

Punxrocknyc19*

Id love if this dude would play the Flyers especially with Rinaldo and that other punk that Bickel fought in preseason.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Considering Grant was an un drafted guy from no where this winds up being ok for every one.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not sure how I feel bout this trade. I mean like Grant IMO was starting to get decent, but they do bring in a tough guy who can score (sort-of) and take some of the load McIlrath would have to use to fight people. Nothing to worry about. Welcome MASH :yo:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
220px-Much_Ado_Quarto.JPG

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
In before someone bumps this thread in 8 years because the 7th round pick turned out to be a perennial all-star

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not sure what Mashinter's upside (3 goals in AHL this year) but Tommy Grant has really progressed this year, especially offensively.

I was about to say the same thing. Grant has done much better this year than last, I was actually quietly beginning to have hopes for him as a prospect. I hope this new guy is good. He seems to be tougher. Maybe another Haley.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I was about to say the same thing. Grant has done much better this year than last, I was actually quietly beginning to have hopes for him as a prospect. I hope this new guy is good. He seems to be tougher. Maybe another Haley.

He has good hands and is actually a pretty decent scorer. He's taken a turn for the worse this year, but I think we got the better end of the deal. Worst case, we get someone to defend players down in CT besides McI. Best case, we get a really light version of Clowe. He's got excellent puck control, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on our fourth line in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->