Brandon Manning appreciation thread.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm still laughing about the Oilers trade. Seriously, WTF??? I'm trying to think of a comparable situation. Maybe putting Lindros and Stevens on the same team, but Stevens lost his eyes in a freak cooking accident?

Reactions: Rebels57

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I stand by every word I said. My last comment in particular couldnt be proven more true. While fans have spent time obsessively complaining about fourth liners and third paring D (PEB, Manning, Hagg, etc) its been the lack of a true number 1 goalie and enough legit top four D which has sunk the franchise. Nice try though boss.

Nice try at...?

Boss? Are you also the type of person to refer to strangers as “pal” or “hoss” by chance?

Never mind that you didn’t mention D or goalies in the post I quoted. You literally only mentioned Manning so I have no idea what you’re on about.

Reactions: kudymen

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Why is this thread back in the mix? Are we hating MacDonald enough to reminisce about Manning? I hope not. Both suck.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fletcher doesn't have the Homer magic otherwise he would have managed to unload a more expensive pile-on in MacDonald instead of letting them scoop up the equally crappy but more affordable Manning

Holmgren hated to disrupt the room. He made very few trades that involved trading a player off the roster within the season after the Upshall/Carcillo trade. After that it was Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Harry Zolniercyk, Max Talbot, Andrej Meszaros (replaced by MacDonald separately) and that was it, everything else was off-season. As we know it, it is a vice of many teams and is probably why you very rarely see any trades until February apart from salary cap concerns. You go into a season and have all this team building and whatnot and tell your players that they need to fight for each other and stick together, and for the most part is seems that they do and probably think they can't promote that kind of ethos only to then send bodies flying around just because you can

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Holmgren hated to disrupt the room. He made very few trades that involved trading a player off the roster within the season after the Upshall/Carcillo trade. After that it was Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Harry Zolniercyk, Max Talbot, Andrej Meszaros (replaced by MacDonald separately) and that was it, everything else was off-season. As we know it, it is a vice of many teams and is probably why you very rarely see any trades until February apart from salary cap concerns. You go into a season and have all this team building and whatnot and tell your players that they need to fight for each other and stick together, and for the most part is seems that they do and probably think they can't promote that kind of ethos only to then send bodies flying around just because you can

We made lots of mid-season trades when we were in last place. We aren't exactly out there looking like a team that has such great chemistry and leadership no one can be moved.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We made lots of mid-season trades when we were in last place. We aren't exactly out there looking like a team that has such great chemistry and leadership no one can be moved.

That was before the Upshall/Carcillo trade. Most would say none of those worked either given the vemom (including from me) that went Matt Carle's way. They got lucky when they got Coburn for Zhitnik. But even at that, as you said, we were in last place. And not only last place, but lost contact with the rest of the field early on. Different situation than any we've found ourselves in since then including now. They played well in 2007 to get within 11 points of second-to-last.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I think it's Chiarelli's way to motivate McDavid to keep his head up at practice. :sarcasm:

A quick analysis:

Impact Of Brandon Manning in Edmonton and more

If the first trade [Petrovic for Wideman and a third] was not enough, there was a second very late Sunday afternoon.

The main part for Edmonton was Brandon Manning going from Chicago to the Oilers. Drake Caggiula was the “marquis” player going the other way. Ultimately, Jason Garrison will end up in Chicago’s AHL affiliate in Rockford. Robin Norell will head for the minors in the Edmonton organization.

Apparently, compete level was important with Peter Chiarelli and allegedly Manning is another player that provides as such.

Things went poorly for Manning in Chicago to the point where he was a -14 in just 27 games. He tallied a goal and two assists while averaging less than a shot a game. Edmonton receives a player who was on the ice for barely 15 minutes a night and was a healthy scratch often of late. He had not played in 2 1/2 weeks. Even Chicago, as bad as they have been, had enough of Manning. Strangely enough, the Blackhawks are playing their best hockey of the year right now.

NHL Trade Analysis: Manning and Petrovic to Edmonton in Wild Afternoon - MyNHLTradeRumors.com

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad