Brandon Manning appreciation thread.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Brandon Manning's performance in game 6 must have been one of his best ever in the NHL, sound positional play and I remember him successfully denying zone entries multiple times, throwing timely checks.

His overall tool set is quite well balanced for an undrafted late bloomer and he appears to be very coachable and comes with a team-first mentality. I imagine he will find a job in the NHL elsewhere. He will never be more than a bottom pairing D and he can be considered a finished product at his age but he s not the horribad player that this board will make you think.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I was hoping this would be the thread where Boxcar revealed his true identity.

Would it be more interesting if he was a personal associate of BM's, or if he was just an honest fan?

At any rate any hate for the guy is misplaced, he did his best, but for heaven's sake his best is about middle pair on a decent Canadian beer league team.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I was hoping this would be the thread where Boxcar revealed his true identity.

Would it be more interesting if he was a personal associate of BM's, or if he was just an honest fan?

At any rate any hate for the guy is misplaced, he did his best, but for heaven's sake his best is about middle pair on a decent Canadian beer league team.

i dont think anybody here ever disliked Meatpig the person..we only know players for their on ice performance..

thus how we rate/like them..

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For as bad as his reputation is on these boards, the man still had 19 points in 65 games on D and wasn't a minus player.

Sanheim, I agree, is the better talent. But his stat line wasn't better.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
For as bad as his reputation is on these boards, the man still had 19 points in 65 games on D and wasn't a minus player.

Manning was legitimately good for about the first month of the year.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I still remember him at the Carnival this past November. We were queued to see either Neuvy or Jake (can't remember which), and Manning happened to have an autograph session in that section immediately beforehand. There was still about 15 minutes left of his 30 minute autograph session and absolutely no one was in his line. Everyone was there for the next player. Felt sorta bad.

Anyway... good riddance to ManDog the player, happy trails to ManDog the human being.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I still remember him at the Carnival this past November. We were queued to see either Neuvy or Jake (can't remember which), and Manning happened to have an autograph session in that section immediately beforehand. There was still about 15 minutes left of his 30 minute autograph session and absolutely no one was in his line. Everyone was there for the next player. Felt sorta bad.

Anyway... good riddance to ManDog the player, happy trails to ManDog the human being.
lol that's cold i thought you were going to say, so we went over and talked with him or something like that lmao.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Manning was a solid #6 D-man, he had good offensive skills, but was an average athlete overall and made too many mistakes.

He wasn't nearly as bad as people suggest, unless you just want to reject advanced metrics, he's easily around 120 or so league wide, and he brings a toughness and a team first attitude that a bad team like Arizona could use.
He should have no problem finding a job, I'm sure there are 30 worse starting D-men in the NHL.

He didn't block anyone, if you couldn't beat him out, you weren't that good.
He outscored Sanheim, PP/60 minute 5x5 by a wide margin, production beats potential. In fact, he was 32nd league wide.
Sanheim at 22 is going to be better than this season, Manning next season can only hope to match this year.
And with Myers on the near horizon, ain't no room on the island.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

For a little while people were saying del zotto played like top line d too. Seems to be a pattern for those playing with gudas.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MDZ has had a career where the most consistent feature has been his inconsistency.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Brandon Manning is a much better player than people give him credit for. He's a tough, durable team first guy. There are worse 6th/7th type defenseman in this league. The obsession with complaining about depth defenseman and fourth liners in recent years when the Flyers have had a plethora much bigger problems has been strange to say the least.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Brandon Manning is a much better player than people give him credit for. He's a tough, durable team first guy. There are worse 6th/7th type defenseman in this league. The obsession with complaining about depth defenseman and fourth liners in recent years when the Flyers have had a plethora much bigger problems has been strange to say the least.

And a chorus of responses goes like this: if Manning and other depth defensemen and fourth liners were used as depth defensemen and fourth liners, there would be far fewer complaints.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
And a chorus of responses goes like this: if Manning and other depth defensemen and fourth liners were used as depth defensemen and fourth liners, there would be far fewer complaints.
With this board?
102.gif

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

The fun thing about how this post aged is that now, instead of one fan base disagreeing with you, you have two.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hey GG, he will find his niche in Edmonton lol.

Hey.

Not gonna get on you for your absurdity because I think you’re a nice and pleasant person. However, it’s worth noting that, apart from two fan bases hating Manning’s play, Edmonton fans already hate Manning because they all believe he’s a gutless puke who intentionally injured McDavid his rookie year. What they believe.

That and they gave up an actually useful and cheaper player for him. Manning hasn’t played a game for them yet and they, as well as potentially McDavid, already dislike him.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The fun thing about how this post aged is that now, instead of one fan base disagreeing with you, you have two.
I stand by every word I said. My last comment in particular couldnt be proven more true. While fans have spent time obsessively complaining about fourth liners and third paring D (PEB, Manning, Hagg, etc) its been the lack of a true number 1 goalie and enough legit top four D which has sunk the franchise. Nice try though boss.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->