Brandon Manning appreciation thread.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I understand all the negativity toward him as a hockey player. Although, the guy with very limited talent and skills was one of the hard workers on the team .
I appreciated his support of the Temple University Hospital burn unit and bringing his team mates with him.

Cant take that away from him. That was classy.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's good that he's not here to block the real prospects anymore, but I never hated Manning. Typically no one likes their 6th/7th defensemen that much and he's not even near the worst 10 defensemen the Flyers have had in the past 20 years or so.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
So if Samuel, Hagg, and Sanheim play like the Three Stooges next season, do I have permission to post and bash them?? I hope they don’t because I want the team to win.

It would be ironic if Manning goes somewhere and has a decent season while one or more of our young D flops.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pretty much everything. His point totals increased in each of his last 3 seasons. He was no defensive stalwart, but his D also improved. Just because he’s a fringe defenseman & you don’t like him doesn’t mean he didn’t get better. Guy was an undrafted FA, worked himself into an AHL all-star, then NHL #7, then eventually became a serviceable 6/7 with 19 points in 65 games. There’s a lot worse in the league, & I have no doubt he’s earned himself an NHL contract next season. Flyers fans just hold against him that he played over some higher touted young prospects. Not his fault.

It's not that he hasn't improved because I don't like him. I don't like him because he hasn't improved.

But good try ;)

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's not that he hasn't improved because I don't like him. I don't like him because he hasn't improved.

But good try ;)
So the reason you don’t like him is because you think he hasn’t improved?
I think I gave pretty good evidence that he has improved.
Now, if you don’t like where he still is despite the improvement, I understand.
But to say he hasn’t improved I don’t believe is accurate.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
So if Samuel, Hagg, and Sanheim play like the Three Stooges next season, do I have permission to post and bash them?? I hope they don’t because I want the team to win.

It would be ironic if Manning goes somewhere and has a decent season while one or more of our young D flops.
If they flop, they will still be defended, & Hakstol blamed for any obvious failings.
That said, the time has come to cut ties with Manning and hand the reins to the touted kids.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

LOL... bet taken..

Meatpigs next shift will be @ Walmart

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So the reason you don’t like him is because you think he hasn’t improved?
I think I gave pretty good evidence that he has improved.
Now, if you don’t like where he still is despite the improvement, I understand.
But to say he hasn’t improved I don’t believe is accurate.

I dislike him because he's a horrible player... quality of play is the only reason I like or dislike players. That's what all the guys I constantly shit on have in common... Manning, MacDonald, Filppula, Lehtera, Hagg, and so on.

Whether he got 1% better in some statistics category or not, he's still awful so the improvement might as well have never happened. Certainly nothing noticeable where you go can say "Manning has really improved in this area" because he's still useless in all 3 zones and the super rare positive doesn't make up for the regular negatives.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Hopefully no other team employs him. Hes the kind of former flyer to cheapshot and injure Coots or Patrick or someone. Former flyers are always flyers killers

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Brandon Manning was the ultimate undrafted, feel good story. Toiled in the minors, finally got his shot, and made the best of it. Limited talent, but always made up for it with hard work and doing whatever he could do to stay in the big show. He was the consummate teammate and brought his lunch pail every game. I will always contend the hate for him was way overboard, as his advanced stats were actually decent compared to some of the better D-men in the league.

The bottom line is I'm a Flyers fan and want them to be successful. If they think Robert Hagg, Radko Gudas, and Andy Mac are better than the Dog, then so be it. Manning has proven himself to be an NHL caliber player, and he should hook on with someone for next season. Like I have always said, he will be fine used in a #6 role playing 15-17 minutes per game.

Mandog, thank you for everything you gave this organization the past seven years. You will be missed, my friend.

Emergency-Hug-Gif-From-Gravity-Falls-On-Disney-XD.gif

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I dislike him because he's a horrible player... quality of play is the only reason I like or dislike players. That's what all the guys I constantly **** on have in common... Manning, MacDonald, Filppula, Lehtera, Hagg, and so on.

Whether he got 1% better in some statistics category or not, he's still awful so the improvement might as well have never happened. Certainly nothing noticeable where you go can say "Manning has really improved in this area" because he's still useless in all 3 zones and the super rare positive doesn't make up for the regular negatives.
That’s what I’m saying—not liking him because you don’t like him in his current state is understandable.
But saying you don’t like him because he didn’t improve seems inaccurate.
Going from 7 to 12 to 19 points IS an improvement, and his defense didn’t get worse , but probably better, too.

Reactions: JXC

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Theres ZERO chance Sanheim and Morin play like stooges if they are in the lineup.

Hagg, on the other hand, is probably worse than good old Meatpig.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
This thread should move into pure sarcasm/back handed compliments. It would make it super enjoyable. It seems to be mostly headed in that direction with the exception of the few fish that swim against the tide for debate's sake

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Ya know - this may be an unpopular viewpoint - but I never really had a problem with Manning, or any player for that matter.

Put yourself in his shoes...he's a dude who's trying to make it in his career, playing to the best of his abilities, grabbing whatever opportunity he can get and running with it.

He didn't intentionally suck for the Flyers. If it were up to him, he would have been the best player in the league and led us to a championship. That's the dream all these players have growing up. In reality, he wasn't that good...but it's the coaching staff's fault for playing him. Manning just went with it and did his best. It probably hurts like hell to know fans hate you in the process, though the millions of dollars he made probably helped with that.

Anywho...that's my rant that no one asked for. Thanks for the times, Manning.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Ya know - this may be an unpopular viewpoint - but I never really had a problem with Manning, or any player for that matter.

Put yourself in his shoes...he's a dude who's trying to make it in his career, playing to the best of his abilities, grabbing whatever opportunity he can get and running with it.

He didn't intentionally suck for the Flyers. If it were up to him, he would have been the best player in the league and led us to a championship. That's the dream all these players have growing up. In reality, he wasn't that good...but it's the coaching staff's fault for playing him. Manning just went with it and did his best. It probably hurts like hell to know fans hate you in the process, though the millions of dollars he made probably helped with that.

Anywho...that's my rant that no one asked for. Thanks for the times, Manning.
Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad