Value of: Brandon Carlo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
laugh all you want, but the extra cost to have Boston give Toronto a young defender this good is large...as in Mattews.

thats real world cost for Toronto, not in a vacuum.

theres no other reason for Boston to help fill such a need for a rival and direct competitor

Thanks! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
TIL Bruins fans are very protective of Carlo.

Yeah he has been playing as their #1 with McAvoy and Krug out and has continued the level of play he was showing the last couple weeks before he got knocked out for the season last year. People just want for everyone to recognize that he is reaching potential as opposed to just being a big guy who is playing in the NHL young but isn't that good.

Very excited to see the Bruins blue line healthy this season. Although they still need secondary scoring.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah he has been playing as their #1 with McAvoy and Krug out and has continued the level of play he was showing the last couple weeks before he got knocked out for the season last year. People just want for everyone to recognize that he is reaching potential as opposed to just being a big guy who is playing in the NHL young.

Very excited to see the Bruins blue line healthy this season. Although they still need secondary scoring.
Ya and he’s going to be cheap relatively speaking.

There’s something to be said about a dman that can play 25 minutes a night where nothing happens on the ice. Sure he doesn’t score much but neither does the other team.

Fortunately in today’s silly contract market actually playing defence isn’t worth as much as a dman who acts like a 4th forward out there. A mix of both is necessary.

Reactions: wintersej

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Matthews?

As far value to a division rival its high of course. Just as if the Bruins asked about Nylander, the Leads would want more because while its not 1988 and teams don't play division rivals 8 times, you could see Carlo/Nylander seven times in a playoff series and you don't want them coming back to bite you without over paying.

Price would be too high, but not Matthews to high...

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
laugh all you want, but the extra cost to have Boston give Toronto a young defender this good is large...as in Mattews.

thats real world cost for Toronto, not in a vacuum.

theres no other reason for Boston to help fill such a need for a rival and direct competitor

This is just silly. If Toronto wanted Carlo there are plenty of packages Sweeney would accept that dont include Matthews.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is just silly. If Toronto wanted Carlo there are plenty of packages Sweeney would accept that dont include Matthews.

Sure, but having McAvoy + Carlo making the RD situation set for a decade is really hard to pass up. It would have to be *something* Leafs fans would view as insanely ridiculous for the Bruins to give up Carlo. Even if it wasn't the Leafs but some random team. It being the teams primary rivalry (right now) makes it even more outlandish.

Outside of RD, the only position I would rather have locked up is 1C and 2C (kudos to the Leafs on that count).

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Sure, but having McAvoy + Carlo making the RD situation set for a decade is really hard to pass up. It would have to be *something* Leafs fans would view as insanely ridiculous for the Bruins to give up Carlo. Even if it wasn't the Leafs but some random team. It being the teams primary rivalry (right now) makes it even more outlandish.

Outside of RD, the only position I would rather have locked up is 1C and 2C (kudos to the Leafs on that count).

I don't disagree, but Matthews is probably a top 5 asset in the entire league. Carlo is worth a lot, but hyperbole isn't useful in trade forums.

The deal I'd accept for Carlo isn't something the Leafs would do, so its a moot point I guess.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't disagree, but Matthews is probably a top 5 asset in the entire league. Carlo is worth a lot, but hyperbole isn't useful in trade forums.

The deal I'd accept for Carlo isn't something the Leafs would do, so its a moot point I guess.

I don't think the majority of folks in here try to be useful. Most try to play entry level salesman games trying to be clever and acting like this is real life.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
The problem is there are not many comparable for Carlo in the league currently. Soon to be 22 years old 6'5 right handed defenceman who plays over 20 minutes a night but isn't a huge point producer. If we take out the handidness maybe a guy like Zadorov?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Having Carlo and McAvoy lock down that right side for years to come is incredibly valuable from a team building perspective, especially if they can get them signed long term for something reasonable. The Bruins can focus on other things like developing a little more depth scoring going forward but there's nothing they really lack right now that's worth giving up Carlo for.

In a few years that might change as Krejci and Bergeron won't last forever (don't want to think about it) but until then there's not a realistic scenario to trade Carlo as any hole they could plug wouldn't be as big as the hole they'd create.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Bruins have nobody to replace the quality minutes Carlo is playing. They are not in position to swap Carlo for a Nylander unless they had another dman who could man the right side. Maybe if Sweeney has traded for Erik Karlsson, the team could potentially afford to swap Carlo for a forward.

However I’m not a fan of Nylander. He’s already giving the Leafs front office headaches about a contract. If Carlo were on trading block I’d look elsewhere for a trade. Besides Mathews and Tavares (lots more value than Carlo), Toronto doesn’t have much that’s interesting. Marner maybe

Reactions: b in vancouver

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
:laugh::laugh:

I assume you guys are Boston fans.

:laugh::laugh:
No really, lol, usually fans of the team never comment on a player they know well or have a better insight on HF Boards. They leave it up to opposing fans who remember one play and judge Carlo. Re-draft he goes later in the 1st round. He has been that good this year and was coming on last year before getting hurt. The idea he would be traded to leafs is crazy on every level, lets put this one to bed.

As for the best Islander acquisition so far this off season. This morning stats, NHL.com - Stats

Halak is # 1 in 3 categories for keepers. Shutouts, GAA and Save percentage.

His GAA is leading by a good margin at 1.51. (Second is 1.91)
Halak's Save % is .947. (He has not lost in regulation this year)
He is tied for first with Kinkaid for shutouts but played 2 less games.

Not bad indeed, 6 games started 4 wins and 2 OT losses, for a cap hit of 2.75. I would say that so far he is the best signing for the money for any former Islander player this year.

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Carlo has improved immensely from last season and has probably been the best and most consistent defense man this season. Price to acquire him? A lot.
Perfect, good to hear McAvoy has regressed so much. Glad he's become so expendable, we'll give you a second round pick.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Perfect, good to hear McAvoy has regressed so much. Glad he's become so expendable, we'll give you a second round pick.
Lol. Anything is possible. Carlo is playing good right now. His injury really affected the team in the playoffs last year. As long as he keeps developing, it’s going to hard for them to trade him. It’s not to say he’s not untradeable. Toronto isn’t a good fit I would imagine. And no, Mathews isn’t s compareable. That’s just homerism.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Lol. Anything is possible. Carlo is playing good right now. His injury really affected the team in the playoffs last year. As long as he keeps developing, it’s going to hard for them to trade him. It’s not to say he’s not untradeable. Toronto isn’t a good fit I would imagine. And no, Mathews isn’t s compareable. That’s just homerism.

the chances of Toronto and Boston trading right now are slim to none. No GM is going to chance sending a piece the other way that could sink their own team. It'd be different if one of these teams was a bottom feeder, but they're basically each other's biggest competitor right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->