Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Geeze ... All this talk of ‘locking him up long term’. I wouldn't hesitate to trade him if the right deal were in place to make this team better.

Just not that impressed with some of his decision making. Hall Gill 2.0? Alberts 1.5?

Not the 2nd coming of Chara like most are hoping for ... That’s for sure.

I don't know who you're watching, but it's clearly not Carlo. Carlo has more snarl in his game than Gill ever did...not to mention he's also more mobile than Gill was.

Carlo's a keeper.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
On pace for his second straight single digit point season. People claim he's a good puck mover, but all the stats (basic and advanced) say otherwise. He also has a bad habit of playing like garbage versus Toronto.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Brandon Carlo emerging as one of best young defenders in NHL – Boston Herald

As the team’s health has improved, they’ve continued to find an identity as one of the stronger defensive teams in the league.

Playing alongside Torey Krug, however, has changed Carlo’s already-confident game into something they haven’t expected.

“When it’s Torey and you have that line out there with (Brad Marchand) and (David Pastrnak) and especially when (Patrice Bergeron) is there as well, you want to get the pucks to them and generate and not just throw pucks down the wall,” Carlo said. “I’ve been trying to hold on to it a little longer and make plays with those guys. That’s what they want me to do and it’s been encouraging to get results so far.”

For a player the Bruins want to be defense-first — there’s already plenty of puck movers between Krug, Charlie McAvoy, and Matt Grzelcyk — his sudden ability to find lanes and get pucks on net is welcomed.

“This year I’ve been trying to get up the ice a little more,” Carlo said. “It was a monkey off my back scoring that goal and a relief. I think when I’m not focused on it too much, a lot of other good things happen for me. I’ve had a lot of good opportunities to get pucks on the net, just trying to get my head up and see the ice a little better.”

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Shutdown D of the future

What a display tonight vs the Flames

What does Carlo next contract look like?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think we are getting our own chris tanev here... I know Vancouver fans have had a hard on love affair for tanev for years... going so far as to call him their best dman

tanev has 95 points in 428 games... certainly not an offensive dynamo

I think carlo could hit tanev type numbers and defensively im sold. I think they compare. so has tanev been overrated? is there value in this type of dman?

id like to keep carlo and enjoy him here if the price on the cap hit is right. I think guys like this continue to improve

carlo is just 22 now. when tanev turned 22 in December of 2011 he was playing 34 games in the ahl. and the next year when tanev was 23 he was in the ahl 29 games

I wouldn't say that tanev or carlo are franchise dmen… but I think carlo will be as good/better than tanev and that's pretty damn good guy that is a legit top 3 dman on pretty much any team in the league

Reactions: Flannelman

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Feel like he's improved a lot lately. Still a total non-factor past the red line, but other than that I've enjoyed the hockey he's played in the last few weeks.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think we are getting our own chris tanev here... I know Vancouver fans have had a hard on love affair for tanev for years... going so far as to call him their best dman

tanev has 95 points in 428 games... certainly not an offensive dynamo

I think carlo could hit tanev type numbers and defensively im sold. I think they compare. so has tanev been overrated? is there value in this type of dman?

id like to keep carlo and enjoy him here if the price on the cap hit is right. I think guys like this continue to improve

carlo is just 22 now. when tanev turned 22 in December of 2011 he was playing 34 games in the ahl. and the next year when tanev was 23 he was in the ahl 29 games

I wouldn't say that tanev or carlo are franchise dmen… but I think carlo will be as good/better than tanev and that's pretty damn good guy that is a legit top 3 dman on pretty much any team in the league

Tanev is their best defenseman. He has always been the guy Toronto should have targeted. He has health issues, won't put up a lot of points. However, if Carlo becomes as good as Tanev is, that is a massive win for Boston.

Reactions: Flannelman

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Feel like he's improved a lot lately. Still a total non-factor past the red line, but other than that I've enjoyed the hockey he's played in the last few weeks.

I agree

Carlo reminds me of Hedman , minus the offensive capabilities

Hedman when he wants to be, can totally go on shutdown mode

I would love to sign Carlo to a 5 year , 3 to 3.5 million per season deal

I think this is fair and can't see him asking for something unreasonable.... unless he has a greedy agent

False Start

May 8, 2018
I agree

I think this is fair and can't see him asking for something unreasonable.... unless he has a greedy agent

I can see him getting 5 mil per easily on the open market. Good thing he's restricted.

But this means possibilities of a bridge deal. Which would mean we'd have to pay up down the road.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I agree

I'd give him 8/40 all day

only way he signs for 3 to 3.5 is on a bridge deal

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I love this guy more every game. When he buried that guy at the blueline at the end of the 2nd, it was so good. He's not getting the points but he's been doing more on offense, he's just going to have to improve a bit on his puck skills and he can be a 25-point guy. But even if he isn't, he's still super valuable.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Do you guys agree Carlo should have gone in top 10 in draft year.? The guys getting a mean streak now with his amazing shutdown force on opponents. I always said he's a Tyler Myers Minnie me.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Do you guys agree Carlo should have gone in top 10 in draft year.? The guys getting a mean streak now with his amazing shutdown force on opponents. I always said he's a Tyler Myers Minnie me.

No. He isn’t even close to it, and you’re tyler myer comparison is still awful.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Tyler Myers is not a shutdown guy IIRC, haven't seen him play in a while. They're both over 6' 4" and both play defense in the NHL.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
One of the guys I'm absolutely glad to be eating crow on. The kid has been very, very impressive. If he develops a 5-15-20 type offensive game, that would be even better.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Carlo in 2 years will be a top shutdown D. He will never be as mean or physically dominant as Chara in his prime however with his mobility, skating and relentless effort he will be a cornerstone of this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad