Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
The 7M qualifier isn't going to matter at all. McAvoy will be paid way more than 7M for his next contract.
Oh, for sure. I didn't mean it in a negative way. 4.9 million is a bargain for the next 3 years.

Does anyone know what's Carlo's qualifying offer once he's a rfa again?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
You can't compare the two. Trouba is several years older and this is, what, his third contract?
You can't, but it's definitely nice to have McAvoy and Carlo combined for less than Trouba.

(yes, things will change in the future, but let's enjoy it for this season).

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Dope deal. Was sort of shocked at posters in the off-season who suggested 5m per.

The Krug deal is the one I have no clue what ds will do. If Z retires maybe they give Krug 7-8m because he'll be looking for that.

aguineapig

Carlo is far better than "effective" so much so that even the homer CBC broadcast crew were raving about his play vs the Leafs in round 1 and onward, mentioning often that last year was his first taste of playoff action and how exceptionally well he responded to it
Carlo may never top out at even 20 pts, but he'll save you that four or five times over in his own end. Guys like him were always so hard to play against. Not overly physical, but long and lanky you'd think you'd have him beat, but two strides and a long stick and he'd chip the puck away and ride you off the play. After awhile your looking for him instead of looking to make the play. Him and Urho would be a shut down pair deluxe for the new NHL. Charlie and Lauzon when Z is raised to the rafters and Krug if he stays is your PP QB.

Reactions: hrdpuk

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

It's even better than that:

According to Natural Stat Trick, when Carlo was on the ice, opponents averaged 49.29 shot attempts per 60 minutes of five-on-five play last year. It was the fourth-lowest mark in the league among defensemen who logged 1,000 or more five-on-five minutes. Additional on-ice metrics include scoring chances against/60 (20.35, fewest), goals against/60 (1.53, second fewest), expected goals against/60 (1.91, third fewest).

It was no fluke, the guy was a rock last year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's even better than that:

According to Natural Stat Trick, when Carlo was on the ice, opponents averaged 49.29 shot attempts per 60 minutes of five-on-five play last year. It was the fourth-lowest mark in the league among defensemen who logged 1,000 or more five-on-five minutes. Additional on-ice metrics include scoring chances against/60 (20.35, fewest), goals against/60 (1.53, second fewest), expected goals against/60 (1.91, third fewest).

It was no fluke, the guy was a rock last year.
even more impressive is he played like a seasoned vet come playoff time

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy was unreal tonight. He must have had 10 takeaways downlow and 10 breakout passes to go with them.

Wish they would have signed him for 8 years because they're going to find some kind of advanced stat that shows he's worth $6.5m.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Zero offense D don’t get 6,5M per year.

If you read the post you quoted carefully, you will see that the point I'm making is that zero-offense D are undervalued. Guys that drew a lot of walks and hit a mediocre % in baseball didn't used to get paid; now they do. Analytics are rewritting the rules on value and they're going to uncover that a guy like Carlo is wildly undervalued.

Reactions: Spooner st

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If you read the post you quoted carefully, you will see that the point I'm making is that zero-offense D are undervalued. Guys that drew a lot of walks and hit a mediocre % in baseball didn't used to get paid; now they do. Analytics are rewritting the rules on value and they're going to uncover that a guy like Carlo is wildly undervalued.

The top young scoring F are getting a big part of the Cap. The older one too. The top UFA also. Top scoring D are also getting a lot. There is not much left for zero offense F or D.

I love Carlo. But he will never be a 6,5M player.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The top young scoring F are getting a big part of the Cap. The older one too. The top UFA also. Top scoring D are also getting a lot. There is not much left for zero offense F or D.

I love Carlo. But he will never be a 6,5M player.

Times change.

Guys like you said a few years ago that 5-foot-9 defensemen would never thrive in the NHL. Now the Bruins have two of them.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Seids signed a 4 mil a year deal 6 years ago......is 6 really all that crazy if the cap keeps going up? I could see Colorado offering him that if he was an ufa.

Reactions: Spooner st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->