Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Carlo has been one of my favorite players from the first day he stepped on the ice. A shut down D in every respect.
He gives his offense the room to score.
One of the toughest D to play against. love that he's signed

Reactions: GloveSave1

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I don't ball wash..but this is a great deal. Like one of the best I have seen ii n a while. Carlo may not be sexy but he is effective.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Beleskey's first year was probably the best. Backes was OK his first year but never close to 6 mil Beleskey earned his contract for a year. And then he got hurt, got fat, lost his confidence, and wasn't an NHLer.

I think one way or another we will be rid of Backes 12 months from now. As long as he is gone next summer and we can push our chips in and add we are in good shape.

Its time to get some extensions in. We need to give Gryz a 1 year extension or else next summer hes only taking a deal that doesn't expose him to Vegas. And I think Krug you have to make the decision now. I don't want to give him extra years to keep him away from UFA. JDB should be easy to come to some agreement with.
Assuming you mean Seattle? I was confused and just confirming.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
DS does it again. Never any doubt. Pennies.

Man, I feel bad for defensive players. You can be a offensive producer who never even sees his own zone and make a fat contract, but a defensive rock, you get the bottom of the barrel. Carlo is worth so much more than this to the team’s success.

I can’t blame these young defensemen who just want to be set free to play offense, it’s where the money is.

As I’ve said many times, it makes guys like Carlo even more valuable. You just can’t find young, top level, shutdown D anymore. They are diamonds.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Love the signing of both Carlo & McAvoy. Definitely thought Carlo would get more, same for McAvoy, but he does have the 7+ million dollow qualifier once a RFA.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

On the off chance that B’s players read things on here, as a fan I’d like to say a big thank you to our players for the effort they put on the ice, their commitment to team, commitment to the city and its people (particularly kids), and for creating a team atmosphere that means something.

Kudos to management as well.

I’m looking at Carlo, McAvoy, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastranak, Chara, Neely, Sweeney and just about anyone you want to name when I say this.

I see some of the BS over contracts with other teams and am happy.

We’re a long way from Sinden telling Joey Juneau to learn how to yodel, I’ll tell you that.

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: B’s.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
100% backes is an outlier.

Love this Carlo deal in the short term.
One thing on Backes...... his contract is a bear. However it’s not because he’s not putting effort in on and off the ice. Hell, he even took on the enforcer role for a bit towards the end of the season just to add something to the team.

He handled himself with the utmost class in playoffs when he sat. Had to hurt, but no bad mouthing or whining.

Yes, his contract hurts. However I have zero doubt he is a big part of the leadership in the room that is resulting in players putting team above personal riches/stats. And THAT atmosphere is a big part of the reason I suspect we all love this team.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's a really good little deal. I suspect that Carlo isn't completely satisfied with it, hence the short term and the length of time it took to get done, but obviously he wasn't getting any firm indications of significantly better elsewhere and I think he genuinely was willing to take less to stay in Boston. It's still good money, keeps him where he wants to be, and gives him a great opportunity to increase his value in the next couple of years. And of course it's fantastic for the team as a whole.

I doubt Carlo sees himself as worth over $2 million a year less than McAvoy though. People point to his lack of offensive production, and fair enough, but his +/- numbers are excellent - there's more ways to contribute to scoring than just putting points on the board. And he's the best shut down D we have, or very close to it. That sort is defense is too underrated. So personally I think he's worth more, but I'm very glad he's a good team man and he's staying!

Having eventually done such economical deals to retain Charlie and Brandon, I wonder if Sweeney made a little bit of a mistake not doing more to keep Acciari. Proven 4th liner, incredible work-rate and compete level, excellent penalty killer, and great character. Sure his offence was limited, but that's not everything, especially with the likes of Kuraly and Wags around. I would have preferred to offer Acciari a little more than spend it on unproven Ritchie and co. I reckon it's pretty safe to say that he would have been content to stay in Boston for a smaller pay rise like the others. I suppose though the issue was that with our fairly stacked bottom 6 we couldn't guarantee him regular game time, whereas Florida could. C'est la vie.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
if he's looking long-term, the only comparables i can think of are cody ceci and
brett pesce. and pesce's offense has come around a little since he signed his deal.
we'll see how the next 2 years go. i would say carlo will certainly be better than a 10-point
guy, but can he get to 30? either way, he's a really solid player and good fit in boston.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I have to believe that there's still an offensive side to his game....he posted what, 5 or 6 goals his rookie season?

It's hard for me to believe that he's incapable of getting more. Maybe i'm just too optimistic, I dunno but i'm really glad they have him signed for the moment

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't ball wash..but this is a great deal. Like one of the best I have seen ii n a while. Carlo may not be sexy but he is effective.
Carlo is far better than "effective" so much so that even the homer CBC broadcast crew were raving about his play vs the Leafs in round 1 and onward, mentioning often that last year was his first taste of playoff action and how exceptionally well he responded to it

Reactions: lopey and hrdpuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad