Confirmed with Link: Branding, Jerseys, Community Involvement, Arena & Water Street Tampa - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I found this concept online and thought it was awesome with a few touch ups. I changed the lightning bolts on each jersey. That logo is flawless, and would love to see this as our new adidas jerseys.

http://imgur.com/a/CHtTL

CHtTL

Last edited:
Reactions: pucky

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I found this concept online and thought it was awesome with a few touch ups. I changed the lightning bolts on each jersey. That logo is flawless, and would love to see this as our new adidas jerseys.

http://imgur.com/a/CHtTL

CHtTL

The current logo we have is far from glamorous but considering how long we've stuck with it we might as well just keep it rolling. The only thing I'm gonna keep pounding on my desk for is that we go back to wearing black. I don't give a damn how much tradition other markets have it's a blasphemy that we're stuck wearing blue like the rest of them.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I doubt we're changing the logo again, but anything to distinguish us from Toronto, including black, is welcome.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

axiomatic, a los angeles-based gaming and esports company, announced vinik as an investor and co-chair thursday.

"i've watched the growth of the esports industry for a number of years and the opportunity to become involved with the impressive group already assembled at axiomatic is the ideal way for me to make an impact," vinik said in a release. He did not quantify his investment.

Axiomatic was founded in september 2016 and is a majority owner of team liquid, a los angeles-based esports franchise. It is chaired by vinik, golden state warriors co-owner peter guber and monumental sports & entertainment founder ted leonsis.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

That ain't Falco.

My concern with eSports is that every game's popularity fades and so you need sequels, and since the changes are up to developers, who have to keep in mind accessibility, and likely have a large publisher who demands to make ALL the possible money, it's a hard act to balance long-term.

Core A Gaming is a good channel that analyses the competitive fighting game scene. (which is also applicable to all eSports)
(language warning)

Last edited:

JedYzerman

Jan 8, 2011
Cocoa Beach, FL
My concern with eSports is that every game's popularity fades and so you need sequels, and since the changes are up to developers, who have to keep in mind accessibility, and likely have a large publisher who demands to make ALL the possible money, it's a hard act to balance long-term.

I don't think you need sequels to games. You just need games that change frequently enough to keep things fresh. Look at the most popular E-Sports games right now League of Legends and Overwatch. Both those companies Riot and Blizzard have developed games that they can add in new champions and balance existing champions frequently.

The true issue with esports is not a centralised league. Game developers generally own and operate the leagues that the professionals play in. That needs to change if there is going to be any hope for esports to grow. It would be nice to see teams that are city based as opposed to just who sponsors them currently.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't think you need sequels to games. You just need games that change frequently enough to keep things fresh. Look at the most popular E-Sports games right now League of Legends and Overwatch. Both those companies Riot and Blizzard have developed games that they can add in new champions and balance existing champions frequently.

The true issue with esports is not a centralised league. Game developers generally own and operate the leagues that the professionals play in. That needs to change if there is going to be any hope for esports to grow. It would be nice to see teams that are city based as opposed to just who sponsors them currently.

Overwatch and LoL will one day look bad enough, and have outdated mechanics enough compared to newer games to warrant sequels on that alone, and every sequel is going to change things because of new technology, thinking, trends, and the developers themselves.

Melee is a classic, and still popular, but it's not going to get more popular at this point. It's a GameCube game from 2001 that requires a CRT TV for high level play and can't be played online. Nintendo doesn't even produce GameCubes or Melee discs anymore.

Getting the developers/publishers away from eSports leagues is also basically impossible. If they invested in making a competitive game, they want to make their money. The probably turned away some casual fans in the process to do so.

I can also host a hockey game for profit and not get sued because the NHL or whoever doesn't own the sport and everything asset involved in it, and I didn't pay to license it.

...we'll verge off-topic at some point, but you could say Vinik is looking to turn Tampa Bay into "Smashville". :snide:

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
So no changes expected for the Adidas jerseys? Are they going to finally bring back victory stripes?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Overwatch and LoL will one day look bad enough, and have outdated mechanics enough compared to newer games to warrant sequels on that alone, and every sequel is going to change things because of new technology, thinking, trends, and the developers themselves.

The nature of these games with patches coming out every few weeks and larger updates coming at the end of the year allows them to get around having to produce a sequel. LoL did a complete graphics overhaul two years ago and it looks like a completely new game. They also continue to tweak the mastery system and continue buffing/nerfing champions so there's a balance but it's never the same champions dominating the meta.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The nature of these games with patches coming out every few weeks and larger updates coming at the end of the year allows them to get around having to produce a sequel. LoL did a complete graphics overhaul two years ago and it looks like a completely new game. They also continue to tweak the mastery system and continue buffing/nerfing champions so there's a balance but it's never the same champions dominating the meta.

I was going to write out a multi-paragraph response, but I think it's getting off-topic. I'll just say that with regular updates, it's in effect rolling out a sequel. A game like that week one is not the same game it is after 3-4 years, much less 10.

League is an outlier for the games industry for it's business model.

esports really just feels like a bubble. Like with what happened with Poker.

Evo 2016 had 15k attendance. Most of which were participants. 5k participated in the Street Fighter tournament alone. There's convention money to be made here, but 77% of esports revenue is from sponsors. Fans have no reason to root for one team over another. There's no regonality to any of them (meaning NYC has team(s), TB has a team, etc). They're grouped by country when that does happen.

Pro Beach Hockey comes to mind. Why pick one team over another? Style of play, logo/sweater design, maybe you recognize one of the guys from minor league puckball, etc.

What separates them individually is personality and success. Having watched enough interviews with them, not many are PK Subban. They're there because they press the buttons good. People spam the cringe emote on twitch when competitors are speaking.

With the volatility of what's popular that moment, the iron grip of the generally scummy games industry, and the complex rights, licensing, and sponsorship agreements where everyone wants their cut, I don't get it.

Relevant (also source for 77% number) https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/how-esports-can-survive-when-the-sponsorship-bubble-bursts

edit: spent some time thinking about esports. I think besides teams claiming regions, most tournaments should be 'hosted' by a team (like the Frozen Four). For instance, the Tampa Bay Surge (what I'll call the team) & sponsors have an event at the convention center. It establishes a pecking order, at least in theory, of top tier teams to follow for the casual (and the other way too, a known top tier team's event would get added prestige) and the host would be expected to be on their best behavior since they're the home team, which would improve esportsmanship and professionalism for the high end.

The biggest World Championship type events would not be necessarily hosted by anyone.

edit 2: y'know. I've thought about it a bit more. I still feel esports are a bubble, but I'm trying to address the issues I have. I think an underpinning issue to edit 1 regards the skill gap. The fact that anyone can compete may actually be a bad thing. It takes the best off a pedestal. There's a reason the NHL doesn't play the KHL. If the NHL wins, it's expected. If they lose, they lose a piece of legitimacy as the undisputed best league. A total rando can come out of nowhere and potentially place well. To a degree you'd need to break the community spirit and institute a clear hierarchy where the arbitrarily selected well funded "best" teams compete alone in an elite league, and the winners of the elite and rabble divisions don't play each other. Relegation could work here. (I'm now aware of relegation existing in LoL competitive play)

Unfortunately, I don't see how esports can really outlast the bubble without stepping on the little guy. I'd rather just stay out.

Last edited:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I was going to write out a multi-paragraph response, but I think it's getting off-topic. I'll just say that with regular updates, it's in effect rolling out a sequel. A game like that week one is not the same game it is after 3-4 years, much less 10.

League is an outlier for the games industry for it's business model.

esports really just feels like a bubble. Like with what happened with Poker.

Evo 2016 had 15k attendance. Most of which were participants. 5k participated in the Street Fighter tournament alone. There's convention money to be made here, but 77% of esports revenue is from sponsors. Fans have no reason to root for one team over another. There's no regonality to any of them (meaning NYC has team(s), TB has a team, etc). They're grouped by country when that does happen.

Pro Beach Hockey comes to mind. Why pick one team over another? Style of play, logo/sweater design, maybe you recognize one of the guys from minor league puckball, etc.

What separates them individually is personality and success. Having watched enough interviews with them, not many are PK Subban. They're there because they press the buttons good. People spam the cringe emote on twitch when competitors are speaking.

With the volatility of what's popular that moment, the iron grip of the generally scummy games industry, and the complex rights, licensing, and sponsorship agreements where everyone wants their cut, I don't get it.

Relevant (also source for 77% number) https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/how-esports-can-survive-when-the-sponsorship-bubble-bursts

edit: spent some time thinking about esports. I think besides teams claiming regions, most tournaments should be 'hosted' by a team (like the Frozen Four). For instance, the Tampa Bay Surge (what I'll call the team) & sponsors have an event at the convention center. It establishes a pecking order, at least in theory, of top tier teams to follow for the casual (and the other way too, a known top tier team's event would get added prestige) and the host would be expected to be on their best behavior since they're the home team, which would improve esportsmanship and professionalism for the high end.

The biggest World Championship type events would not be necessarily hosted by anyone.

edit 2: y'know. I've thought about it a bit more. I still feel esports are a bubble, but I'm trying to address the issues I have. I think an underpinning issue to edit 1 regards the skill gap. The fact that anyone can compete may actually be a bad thing. It takes the best off a pedestal. There's a reason the NHL doesn't play the KHL. If the NHL wins, it's expected. If they lose, they lose a piece of legitimacy as the undisputed best league. A total rando can come out of nowhere and potentially place well. To a degree you'd need to break the community spirit and institute a clear hierarchy where the arbitrarily selected well funded "best" teams compete alone in an elite league, and the winners of the elite and rabble divisions don't play each other. Relegation could work here. (I'm now aware of relegation existing in LoL competitive play)

Unfortunately, I don't see how esports can really outlast the bubble without stepping on the little guy. I'd rather just stay out.

You can't really compare fighting game events to the rest of esports as a whole because the nature of them is very different(as you said, a lot of people participate and when they're out they hang around and watch).

Dota, LoL, and CSGO are the ones to look at for the health of esports. LoL has a dedicated studio to their pro scene with packed bleachers every week and regularly sells out arenas when they host an event. CSGO almost always sells out mid- to major tournaments and pulls in millions of unique viewers for the big events. Dota is the weaker of the three but probably has the most hardcore fanbase(look at how they fund the International prize pool and how stupid high it gets every year).

I agree there is a bubble but I don't think it's as serious as some are suggesting. A thing like Overwatch makes me worry because they're trying to jump into a franchise based pro-league with supposedly multi-million dollar buy-ins when the current pro system is rather weak but I see the big 3 surviving because they seem to have found a way to navigate the bubble(less "big" events so it's always a spectacle and a handful of steady leagues so there's high level play week in and week out).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I did begin to consider after my edits that I may have been too focused on fighting games. I actually don't like fighting games much at all and I'm new to MOBAs, but I get the premise of fighting games as very pure competition.

I'll look into MOBAs over the course of the day and update.

edit: okay, I watched a DOTA 2 newbie stream recording from the 2015 International. I am familiar with MOBAs generally, although I've not played one yet. DOTA 2 at least is way too complex for the average person. What physical sports have is a ridiculous simplicity. Except Cricket. Somebody can not watch a football game for 20 years, and still get it, despite any rule changes. There's no significantly changed mechanics.

DOTA 2 is a spectacle, but the lack of visual focus hurts. There's 3 major lanes, plus the jungle. There's way too much to ever watch at once, which means that you're darting around at moments of the game and need a shoutcaster to induce excitement. Physical sports can be simplified down to telling the spectator to watch the ball. DOTA has like the net worth of each player individually to keep in mind.

I've been around the gaming internet long enough to know that one of the complaints non-sports fan gamers have with the physical sports is a perceived lack of complexity. There's also a trope many of them seem to have fallen into where they categorically dismissed sports because they're indoor nerd kids and they're not supposed to like those types of games. Basically the self-perpetuating 'hockey doesn't belong in the south' logic held by some non-hockey people in the south.

I don't think DOTA at least will age particularly well as players eventually lose interest and migrate out of playing the game because the game's systems are always changing and there's just too much to forget. I'd imagine they'd have a hell of a time trying to figure out what's going on after a 20 year absence.

Last edited:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I did begin to consider after my edits that I may have been too focused on fighting games. I actually don't like fighting games much at all and I'm new to MOBAs, but I get the premise of fighting games as very pure competition.

I'll look into MOBAs over the course of the day and update.

edit: okay, I watched a DOTA 2 newbie stream recording from the 2015 International. I am familiar with MOBAs generally, although I've not played one yet. DOTA 2 at least is way too complex for the average person. What physical sports have is a ridiculous simplicity. Except Cricket. Somebody can not watch a football game for 20 years, and still get it, despite any rule changes. There's no significantly changed mechanics.

DOTA 2 is a spectacle, but the lack of visual focus hurts. There's 3 major lanes, plus the jungle. There's way too much to ever watch at once, which means that you're darting around at moments of the game and need a shoutcaster to induce excitement. Physical sports can be simplified down to telling the spectator to watch the ball. DOTA has like the net worth of each player individually to keep in mind.

I've been around the gaming internet long enough to know that one of the complaints non-sports fan gamers have with the physical sports is a perceived lack of complexity. There's also a trope many of them seem to have fallen into where they categorically dismissed sports because they're indoor nerd kids and they're not supposed to like those types of games. Basically the self-perpetuating 'hockey doesn't belong in the south' logic held by some non-hockey people in the south.

I don't think DOTA at least will age particularly well as players eventually lose interest and migrate out of playing the game because the game's systems are always changing and there's just too much to forget. I'd imagine they'd have a hell of a time trying to figure out what's going on after a 20 year absence.

Dota and LoL's biggest audience will always be the people who play the game(either currently or did in the past). They also have two of the largest player bases in the world so they have a pretty good built in audience.

CSGO is the easiest for a newbie to follow. It's 5-v-5 where one side is trying to plant a bomb or eliminate the other team while the other is trying to defuse the bomb once it's planted or eliminate the other team before they can. There's deeper minutia in it such as the economics of the game but on it's basest level it is just a 5-v-5 shooter which most people who have picked up a game have played something like that at some point.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Dota and LoL's biggest audience will always be the people who play the game(either currently or did in the past). They also have two of the largest player bases in the world so they have a pretty good built in audience.

CSGO is the easiest for a newbie to follow. It's 5-v-5 where one side is trying to plant a bomb or eliminate the other team while the other is trying to defuse the bomb once it's planted or eliminate the other team before they can. There's deeper minutia in it such as the economics of the game but on it's basest level it is just a 5-v-5 shooter which most people who have picked up a game have played something like that at some point.

all valid points.

I'm about tuckered out talking about esports.

gg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We'll see what they look like next Tuesday. General belief is that they won't change drastically. I'm personally hoping for victory stripes and a bit more silver.

Black and victory stripes and we will never need a new jersey again. Heck we could even keep the whites exactly as they are plus victory stripes. Black at home, blue and white on the road? Sign me up, it'll work

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"STM 2017 NHL Draft Party on Friday, June 23rd at 7PM at Amalie Arena. The NHL Draft Party will feature the new Lightning Adidas Jersey reveal and 25th anniversary announcements."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->