Music: Brand New - Science Fiction (Out Now)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I became a fan during the Deja leak and even more so after Devil and God. Their first album was garbage so it took me a while to draw me in.

I grabbed it this weekend and I'm sure it's good. Daisy is a solid album as well.

As for the creaming effect, it's expected when it comes to Brand New. While good, they are overrated immensely.

There is something seriously wrong with you. Your Favorite Weapon? Good lord that's their best album. Not one bad song. Plus, Seventy Times 7 is the most amazing song I have ever seen live.

I guess I am the weird one here. I love BN. Their older stuff to me is much more soulful. I am prepared to get torn apart but to me they are getting worse as they age. However I would put this one as a step above Daisy.

So I would go (in order of best to worse)

Your Favorite Weapon
Deja Entendu
Fork & Knife*
Devil & God are Raging Inside Me
Science Fiction
Daisy

*Single

P.S. If nobody has heard Fork & Knife go do it RIGHT NOW.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
137 sucks as a song, honestly, and 451 isn't all that better. I also really dislike the recorded talking parts of the album like the very beginning. Unnecessary and would like a version with all that crap edited out.

But the rest of the album is pretty ****ing killer. Awesome riffs and an STP vibe in some songs. But this is FAAAARRRRR from the best Brand New album. Probably the worst, really. After a couple listens I'd rather listen to every other album before this one. Daisy is my fave.

Don't drink the Kool Aid, kids.

lolwut

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
137 and 451 are my fave songs tbh.

Also that's a great ****ing article above.
They don't quite get to the truth that the entirety of the album is built from Limousine. The "seasickness" rolling in (which is the best description I've heard yet of the first four songs on the album) leading to the crash and crushing guilt afterward. It's one of the ultimate storyteller albums.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I didn't know the true meaning of Limousine for a very long time after the album came out and when I finally learned, it HAUNTED me.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Limousine is probably in my Top 3 favorite Brand New tracks ever.

In any case, Science Fiction is ****ing awesome. Very happy and pleased with this release.

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
I'm enjoying it so far. In particular, I've found my self playing "In the Water" repeatedly.

I like it more that Daisy, which I thought was just ok. But definitely a notch below TDAGARIM, which is not a knock.

Musical taste is subjective and changes all the time.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
There is something seriously wrong with you. Your Favorite Weapon? Good lord that's their best album. Not one bad song. Plus, Seventy Times 7 is the most amazing song I have ever seen live.

I guess I am the weird one here. I love BN. Their older stuff to me is much more soulful. I am prepared to get torn apart but to me they are getting worse as they age. However I would put this one as a step above Daisy.

Your Favorite Weapon
Deja Entendu
Fork & Knife*
Science Fiction
Daisy

*Single

It's my favorite cuz it brings me back to the days of burned CDs of bands I've never heard anything about and driving around for hours listening to them. It's not their best tho.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Emo from the early 2000s wasn't really emo it was pop punk and YFW was definitely the best pop punk album from that time. Emo was dead by the time Devil came out and BN was going through their stupid phase when they wouldn't play YFW at shows.

Out of Mana
Waste
Same Logic
In the Water
Desert
Could Never Be Heaven

Some of their best stuff. Also like that they didn't lose their roots. It's the same BN 8 years later.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal

Your Favorite Weapon
Deja Entendu
Fork & Knife*
Science Fiction
Daisy

*Single

Seventy Times 7 is so good

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
When I finally saw them last year, they closed with Seventy Times 7 and it was the first time they had played it on their tour and it was amaaaaazing.

member 51464

I know Brand New is the more popular and critical acclaimed of the two, but I always preferred Taking Back Sunday's response track to Seventy Times 7.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I know Brand New is the more popular and critical acclaimed of the two, but I always preferred Taking Back Sunday's response track to Seventy Times 7.

Northstar has a track with the same "is that what you call a getaway etc"

In the Deja Entendu cd pocket it says in small print "listen to Northstar everyday"

Thats how i discovered them

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
After giving this album a few more listens i'm happy they are back on track, but this album for me is still their 4th best effort, surpassing only Daisy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I didn't know the true meaning of Limousine for a very long time after the album came out and when I finally learned, it HAUNTED me.

Just until a couple of years ago, the drunk driver that hit that limo was still having his appeal go through the court system:

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/court-of-appeals/2013/174-1.html

I believe it is finally over with.

This was such a big incident locally. I was 18 or 19 at the time and I think it hit a lot of newer drivers really hard at the realities of it all.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
great album...nice recovery from Daisy, which was pretty bland

glad they didn't put I am a Nightmare or Mene on this one...2 obvious singles that had no business on a record like this..

my order:

The Devil and God....10/10
Deja Entendu 10/10
Science Fiction 7.5/10
Your Favorite Weapon 6/10
Daisy 4/10

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Just wanted to pop in and say how much I love the new album, listened to it 5 times already. Also, as a guy who has followed Brand New since their first album, I like them all and liked the transition from Your Favorite Weapon until now. I love Your Favorite Weapon as an emo kid, but the band has obviously matured their sound since then into a different direction they wanted to go in.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hmmm, there is definitely something going on, but it could just be some troll

but I'm going to assume it's a double/second album coming out that day

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
Hmmm, there is definitely something going on, but it could just be some troll

but I'm going to assume it's a double/second album coming out that day

It would be a pretty elaborate troll but I also don't know if anyone in brand new would be so elaborate either. Maybe they let their web team go nuts and have some fun but it's a pretty cool puzzle either way. If it is a second album I'll kiss you on the mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad