Music: Brand New - Science Fiction (Out Now)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Science_Fiction.jpg

Tracklist:

Lit Me Up
Can't Get It Out
Waste
Could Never Be Heaven
Same Logic/Teeth
Out of Mana
In the Water
Desert
No Control
Batter Up

Initial pre-order for the LP sold out in like minutes for a limited version. New pre-order for standard version went up today (http://www.procrastinatemusictraitors.com/products/598731-brand-new-science-fiction). Orders get the download code instantly.

Album is amazing. Been waiting for years and I am just so impressed.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Album is amazing. Typical Brand New casually dropping an album after an 8 year wait. Brand New has taken for a 100$ today, I'm not complaining as they are one of the few bands I would spend that on. Today I bought the cd, vinyl, and the Australian (after I missed out on the pre-sale vinyl pressing) vinyl plus I've been listening to the digital download since I got home from work. I guess this is the appetite they had hoped to create for fans by having us wait 8 years.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This was worth the eight year wait, I can't even deal with how good it is.

You can tell this is the sound they've been striving for - this was the endgame and what a note to go out on. The entire album carries the Devil and God aesthetic but takes the best parts of Daisy in the first half and the best parts of Deja Entendu in the second half to form something amazing. Lit Me Up is a perfect opener, setting the scene for the rest of the album. Every song is great but my personal favorites are Lit Me Up, Waste, In the Water, Desert, Batter Up, and my favorite favorite 451 which I consider to be Sink Pt. 2. From top to bottom, lyrics to production to music - this is a perfect Brand New album - easily on par with Devil and God and Deja Entendu.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Your wrestling opinions are brutal Bono, but glad to see we agree on Brand New!

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
And now the end of work cannot come soon enough.

Devil andGod is an absolute masterpiece. I will be incredibly impressed (and ecstatic) if they manage to match that effort.

Early reviews are certainly encouraging, but it will take a bit to see if it's got the staying power for me that D&G did.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Album is amazing. Typical Brand New casually dropping an album after an 8 year wait. Brand New has taken for a 100$ today, I'm not complaining as they are one of the few bands I would spend that on. Today I bought the cd, vinyl, and the Australian (after I missed out on the pre-sale vinyl pressing) vinyl plus I've been listening to the digital download since I got home from work. I guess this is the appetite they had hoped to create for fans by having us wait 8 years.

Who is doing the Australian pressing?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And now the end of work cannot come soon enough.

Devil andGod is an absolute masterpiece. I will be incredibly impressed (and ecstatic) if they manage to match that effort.

Early reviews are certainly encouraging, but it will take a bit to see if it's got the staying power for me that D&G did.

This is their best album.

I’ve been a fan of this band since they first existed and have seen them probably 20-30 times over their career.

I cannot stress how great this album is.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Was able to go to youtube for the last hour or so of work and listen to it. Not at all what I was expecting from BonMorrison's description, to be honest. I don't hear much of Devil and God's asthetic at all. Personally it feels more in the same vein as some of their newer stuff like "Out of Range" and "Sealed to Me" - which isn't a bad thing; the former in particular grew on me in a huge way. I do dig it though - someone on reddit mentioned that the album cover bears more than a passing resemblance to Elliott Smith's self-titled album, and I don't think that's a coincidence; more than one of the songs would not be out of place on a Smith album.

But honestly, I can't say that I think it reaches D&G levels, at least not yet. Maybe it will grow on me more.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
I wanted it so badly to be great, I knew it would be great but goddamn I didn't ever expect it to be this great. I've listened to it probably 5-6 times already and it just keeps getting better. First time was on my drive home from school, then at home on my stereo, and then 3-4 times laying in bed with some good headphones on.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Big fan of these guys. This is great news! Will have to obtain this soon.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The lyrics in 137 are just amazing. Appropriate as well, somehow.

Let’s all go play Nagasaki
What a lovely way to die
To finally show where we all go
So no one has to say goodbye

Lets all go and meet our maker
Won’t matter whose side you’re on
We’re so afraid, I prayed and prayed
When God told me to love the bomb

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The amount of lyrical callbacks in all the songs to the last albums are great.

Was able to go to youtube for the last hour or so of work and listen to it. Not at all what I was expecting from BonMorrison's description, to be honest. I don't hear much of Devil and God's asthetic at all. Personally it feels more in the same vein as some of their newer stuff like "Out of Range" and "Sealed to Me" - which isn't a bad thing; the former in particular grew on me in a huge way. I do dig it though - someone on reddit mentioned that the album cover bears more than a passing resemblance to Elliott Smith's self-titled album, and I don't think that's a coincidence; more than one of the songs would not be out of place on a Smith album.

But honestly, I can't say that I think it reaches D&G levels, at least not yet. Maybe it will grow on me more.

Haha sorry to mislead you, that's just how I was hearing it. Jesse is definitely wearing his influences on his sleeve on this album though, you can hear them all over the place.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I know this band has a lot of die-hard fans, so I was getting a little annoyed by the bold proclamations of how good this is. Like, can we have a little time to digest it first?

....nevermind

...bruh...

This is THAT good.

Like....wow.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The amount of lyrical callbacks in all the songs to the last albums are great.

Haha sorry to mislead you, that's just how I was hearing it. Jesse is definitely wearing his influences on his sleeve on this album though, you can hear them all over the place.
No worries haha. Vin's influences are definitely not far below the surface either. "Waste" definitely calls to mind Stone Temple Pilots.

I'm definitely loving it more the 2nd time through (probably not having to concentrate on work stuff helps haha) - its just so different from anything they've really done (I just realized why it called to mind "Sealed to Me" though...."Lit Me Up" is basically a reworking of it like "Archers" is for "Battalions".

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No worries haha. Vin's influences are definitely not far below the surface either. "Waste" definitely calls to mind Stone Temple Pilots.

I'm definitely loving it more the 2nd time through (probably not having to concentrate on work stuff helps haha) - its just so different from anything they've really done (I just realized why it called to mind "Sealed to Me" though...."Lit Me Up" is basically a reworking of it like "Archers" is for "Battalions".

It took me about four listens to get into D&G. It was a pretty big departure from Deja. D&G then became my favorite album soon after. I'm just astounded at how quickly this album has surpassed everything else. It normally takes me a couple of listens.

I actually can't wait to turn it on with my NC headphones on the train ride home, today.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It took me about four listens to get into D&G. It was a pretty big departure from Deja. D&G then became my favorite album soon after. I'm just astounded at how quickly this album has surpassed everything else. It normally takes me a couple of listens.

I actually can't wait to turn it on with my NC headphones on the train ride home, today.
Yeah I hear you. Actually I was a couple years late on Devil and God for that very reason :laugh:. But I think the true barometer (at least for me) will be in a year or two or eleven. There's always an immediacy bias. It's certainly passing any kind of test I could think of in present day though (as it drags me further and further in). :D

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, so I have a hard time saying this is as good or better....but after a few listens through, Science Fiction is damn close.

Without a doubt those two albums will go down as their best.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me is a weird one to define for me. It's in my top 20 favorite albums of all time, but at the same time I always say that it should be viewed as the best album of all time. Like, people who listen to popular music and cite a Beatles album as the best need to hear it and then they would realize it is better. But I also realize that that doesn't make any sense.

But right now this is up there with TDAGARIM. I hope it has the staying power I think it does and draws me in more and more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad