Branch appeals to Ontario Government

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
where will this end. If Juniors are deemed to be employees then maybe it backs up into midget, bantam, peewee levels as well. Minimum wage levels and all of the applicable payroll charges would greatly increase the costs for all teams. This court action could be huge and be the end for the low profit/attendance teams. OHL as we know it would change with teams folding & then there would be less opportunity for eligible kids. Also I doubt that NHL would financially support all 60 CHL teams so be careful what you ask for............

Midget, Bantam, and peewee levels of hockey have no bargaining power if they were ever to try to become paid players. Why? Nobody goes to the games. Yet people keep bringing this up.

The reason that pro players get paid is because of the money that is made off their backs. This money comes through gate receipts, advertising, TV contracts, etc. The amount the players get paid along with the success of the league is based on interest. That's why CWHL just folded - because it was not financially viable. Very few in paid attendance to their games. Little advertising dollars and no TV deal.

The OHL has a paying fan base that varies from city to city. They make serious money on advertising every year. They bring in money via TV deals and pay per view. This is not the CWHL so no, paying players minimum wage won't shut down the league or cause multiple teams to fold.

There's a reason that the Green Bay Packers are viable. Ditto the Florida Marlins, Arizona Coyotes and Florida Panthers.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
Thousands more? I remember when the OHL was a 10 team league. This product is already watered down enough.

How many people do you think will pay go to the games if you get down to the deep recesses of the thousands of players that you're talking about?

There are thousands that would take the place of the player that must have the minimum wage. That is what this thread is about...

U Otter B There

Aug 25, 2016
If I'm not mistaken, I believe teams already have to submit funds to the league and then the league distributes the funds to the eligible players. I believe this came into being after the issue a few years ago with a player from I believe Kingston who had to legally go after Kingston and the OHL to get the team to fund his education. I believe the player might've been Brody Todd but I'm not 100% on that. And I'm pretty sure he played with Kingston but he may have played with other team(s) as well.

Someone may correct me on the name and teams involved. But I'm pretty sure this was the case that caused teams to have to send funds to the league for the league to distribute.

That being said, I do not believe funds go into one big pool, league wide, for the league to distribute. I believe each team has to submit funds to the league as their players reach the requirements to qualify for education. In other words, as soon as a rookie plays his first OHL game, one year's education goes to the league in his name. Ditto every year after.

Again, I may be corrected on the particulars.
I recall Sherry Bassin being sued by a former player for his education package also. I'm not sure but I think it was Kelly Geoffrey. Unfortunately nothing shows up on a Google search.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
CHL settles class-action lawsuit over minimum wage payment - Sportsnet.ca

This has to mean a loss for the CHL and a win for the players? These players in the lawsuit will get some compensation.

Or I suppose a win-win since the settlement means no further litigation?
It’s a small win for the players in the lawsuit. After attorney fees and money gets split up.... I guess it depends on how many ex-players were part of the class action. It will be a significant hurt on many team’s bottom line with everything going on but to finally end the dispute for good at the cost of $250k (which will likely be a tax write off for some to all teams) isn’t really all that bad. I’m just glad to see it over with. I personally would like to see current and future players compensated slightly better but overall, I think they’re getting a decent ride. Well, at least a majority of them are and better than what the NCAA route offers for most.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
It’s a small win for the players in the lawsuit. After attorney fees and money gets split up.... I guess it depends on how many ex-players were part of the class action. It will be a significant hurt on many team’s bottom line with everything going on but to finally end the dispute for good at the cost of $250k (which will likely be a tax right off for some to all teams) isn’t really all that bad. I’m just glad to see it over with. I personally would like to see current and future players compensated slightly better but overall, I think they’re getting a decent ride. Well, at least a majority of them are and better than what the NCAA route offers for most.

It was about 5,100 players,, they will get less than $6,000 each.. BEFORE the lawyers fees , they will be lucky to see $2,500 each.. this is a huge win for the CHL.

I don't think you can write off a lost lawsuit. Although I'm sure the teams have insurance much like the CHL does

Reactions: three dog night

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It was about 5,100 players,, they will get less than $6,000 each.. BEFORE the lawyers fees , they will be lucky to see $2,500 each.. this is a huge win for the CHL.

I don't think you can write off a lost lawsuit. Although I'm sure the teams have insurance much like the CHL does
My understanding is the CHL has insurance to settle this.

The lawyers will take about a third, and the players who qualify will split what's left after court costs etc are paid.

Hardly, as the 'plaintiffs' claimed, a life changing settlement.

What I find intriguing, was the number of players who signed onto the lawsuit.
Very few per team, in the OHL, only one Guelph Storm.

The Q ,one team had 18 and many over 10

Reactions: Otto

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My understanding is the CHL has insurance to settle this.

The lawyers will take about a third, and the players who qualify will split what's left after court costs etc are paid.

Hardly, as the 'plaintiffs' claimed, a life changing settlement.

What I find intriguing, was the number of players who signed onto the lawsuit.
Very few per team, in the OHL, only one Guelph Storm.

The Q ,one team had 18 and many over 10

Did they name any of the players past and present?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
CHL settles class-action lawsuit over minimum wage payment - Sportsnet.ca

This has to mean a loss for the CHL and a win for the players? These players in the lawsuit will get some compensation.

Or I suppose a win-win since the settlement means no further litigation?

Let get down to the bottomline, this situation is as black and white as you can make it.

Said players in this lawsuit believe(d) they were treated as employees of said teams for the time they were in the league and believe that they deserve(d) compensation. No one wins in this situation plain and simple so to say it's a win-win scenario is like saying teams win every deal they make, until we see the end result of this there will not be a winner or loser more of a who cuts the cheque and for how long/much.

Spin it anyway you want to or believe what you want believe but in the end when the dust settles the dollar speaks all languages and this will dissolve all of those players complaints until/when this happens again.

Names of players in this lawsuit really don't matter one way or another to anyone in the league's eyes more simply how fast this can this be resolved with as little to stir up and affect the league's reputation and name sake.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Did they name any of the players past and present?
No, the info contained in the court document only specified the team name and number of players signed onto the class action.

It didn't mean they'd qualify for settling.

Any who signed an NHL contract were disqualified.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Its a moot point now but I wonder how many hours per week they would have been paid. Training, practises, public engagements , travelling and the games themselves. Then there is the cost of WSIB (if there is even a classification of hockey players), CPP, EI.
I can see it being a logistical nightmare

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
And then.....

Honestly, I saw this coming from at least one of the three judges (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec) after learning that several intervenors at the settlement hearings were opposed because the terms compromised their statutory rights in other ongoing litigation. These class action settlements usually gain rubber stamp court approval, so this is quite rare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad