Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This notion that Brady is bad defensively is nonsense. Brady was a +1 at seasons end while Stutzle was -17, Batherson -10 ( a big improvement), Giroux -14, Chychrun -30, Sanderson was a +8, Joseph -4, Norris -6, Chabpt -3, Pinto +9, Greig +10, Zub +5, Brannstrom +5, Kelly -8, Kubalik -30, JBD -7, Katchouk -6, Kastelic -5, Hamonic -10, Crookshank -3, MacEwan -4. There are a lot of guys on this team that need to be better defensively, some of them improved in that area including.

I watched the games. He misses assignments, the opposing team gets prolonged cycles off and he's a big reason why.

I'm not here to slam him. I don't think he's a massive liability but he's not that good defensively.

He's got the power forward thing figured out where he'll crash into the boards, fight in front of the net. I like him as a player. But he's a star, not a superstar.

I'm fine with him being back next year. I'm fine with him being back next year as our captain. What we need is Stutzle to have a good year offensively, we need to get a better goalie. We need to figure out stability in our top 4 defensemen. One of Chychurn and Chabot needs to go and we need to find a partner for the one that stays. Given Chabot has the contract and Chychurn doesn't... I'm guessing that's the direction we go.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This notion that Brady is bad defensively is nonsense. Brady was a +1 at seasons end while Stutzle was -17, Batherson -10 ( a big improvement), Giroux -14, Chychrun -30, Sanderson was a +8, Joseph -4, Norris -6, Chabpt -3, Pinto +9, Greig +10, Zub +5, Brannstrom +5, Kelly -8, Kubalik -30, JBD -7, Katchouk -6, Kastelic -5, Hamonic -10, Crookshank -3, MacEwan -4. There are a lot of guys on this team that need to be better defensively, some of them improved in that area including.
You seem to think we said this other players are good defensively. Brady plays very little defense. I would actually be curious how often he’s on with Sanderson zub oairing

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I watched the games. He misses assignments, the opposing team gets prolonged cycles off and he's a big reason why.

I'm not here to slam him. I don't think he's a massive liability but he's not that good defensively.

He's got the power forward thing figured out where he'll crash into the boards, fight in front of the net. I like him as a player. But he's a star, not a superstar.

I'm fine with him being back next year. I'm fine with him being back next year as our captain. What we need is Stutzle to have a good year offensively, we need to get a better goalie. We need to figure out stability in our top 4 defensemen. One of Chychurn and Chabot needs to go and we need to find a partner for the one that stays. Given Chabot has the contract and Chychurn doesn't... I'm guessing that's the direction we go.
He is a super star, or at least on the verge of it. He is a focal point for league marketing. He’s not going to be putting up 140 point seasons, but none of those guys are ppg and top 3 in hits either.

I think the definition of super star/star is different from elite talent, generational, etc. Brady is a super star on this league because his style of play and the talent level combined make him an archetype of the quintessential star power forward. I think your definition of power forward reads more like a 4th line grinder. Describing Brady as a player the way you described the power forward thing is pretty funny.

He has elite talent in power forward skills, has very good puck skills, and excellent hockey IQ and instincts, and is insanely marketable league-wide. Star and Super star to me are a combination of elite talent and star power/popularity. The guy keeps surprising me with how he continues to evolve his game year after year.

Having said that, Stu has more offensive skills and potential.

The thing is, the more points Stu gets, and the better he gets, the more points Brady gets over all since they play together on the PP at least depending on line ups.

If scoring stays at this level, and Stu reaches his potential, there is no reason why Brady can’t flirt with between ppg and 100pts regularly. When you look at what he’s been able to produce despite down years for most of the team, it’s pretty remarkable, especially for those who sleep on his skills.

I’ll put the pompoms down now…. Hahaha

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You seem to think we said this other players are good defensively. Brady plays very little defense. I would actually be curious how often he’s on with Sanderson zub oairing
Eh, this isn’t true since JM took over.

The effort is there, but he’s not fleet of foot so he needs to learn his positioning as second nature because he can’t adjust as fast as guys like Kelly and Stu.

Having said that, let’s see where his defensive game is at with a few seasons of a real NHL coach behind the bench. I haven’t really been impressed with the defensive play of most players to be honest, outside of the NODAK kids who seem to have it in their blood at this point.

:)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Eh, this isn’t true since JM took over.

The effort is there, but he’s not fleet of foot so he needs to learn his positioning as second nature because he can’t adjust as fast as guys like Kelly and Stu.

Having said that, let’s see where his defensive game is at with a few seasons of a real NHL coach behind the bench. I haven’t really been impressed with the defensive play of most players to be honest, outside of the NODAK kids who seem to have it in their blood at this point.

:)
Everyone has improved under JM.

Reactions: Loach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can think of two that didn't... Three if you count Kubalik.
Blanket statement.

My point was people talking about tkatchuks annoyance. Well he he should have been harder on his teammates to play defence and play defence himself under DJ and then maybe they’re favourite coach wouldn’t have gotten fired

Maybe this is the year he gets it. Winning isn’t always fun and games. It’s not during the game you’ll be happy. It’s grueling. It’s after the game.

Sad that these guys have been in the league so long and have to learn these lessons now.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
'Imagine' a dud(e) wanting out in this situation... It's your team brah. Take the bull by the 'horn' and ride it...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He is a super star, or at least on the verge of it. He is a focal point for league marketing. He’s not going to be putting up 140 point seasons, but none of those guys are ppg and top 3 in hits either.

I think the definition of super star/star is different from elite talent, generational, etc. Brady is a super star on this league because his style of play and the talent level combined make him an archetype of the quintessential star power forward. I think your definition of power forward reads more like a 4th line grinder. Describing Brady as a player the way you described the power forward thing is pretty funny.

He has elite talent in power forward skills, has very good puck skills, and excellent hockey IQ and instincts, and is insanely marketable league-wide. Star and Super star to me are a combination of elite talent and star power/popularity. The guy keeps surprising me with how he continues to evolve his game year after year.

Having said that, Stu has more offensive skills and potential.

The thing is, the more points Stu gets, and the better he gets, the more points Brady gets over all since they play together on the PP at least depending on line ups.

If scoring stays at this level, and Stu reaches his potential, there is no reason why Brady can’t flirt with between ppg and 100pts regularly. When you look at what he’s been able to produce despite down years for most of the team, it’s pretty remarkable, especially for those who sleep on his skills.

I’ll put the pompoms down now…. Hahaha
They want Stutzle to be the best player on the team & when Brady leads the team in numerous areas they trash Brady to make up for it. I don't see any comments trashing Stutzle's defence? Why? He is their favoutrite player & they want him to be the team's best player.

We don't see anyone complaining about Chabot being captain any more, they said all kinds of terrible things about Brady in that thread & they will attack this post. Unfortunately, they can't deny the numbers. :laugh:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They want Stutzle to be the best player on the team & when Brady leads the team in numerous areas they trash Brady to make up for it. I don't see any comments trashing Stutzle's defence? Why? He is their favoutrite player & they want him to be the team's best player.

We don't see anyone complaining about Chabot being captain any more, they said all kinds of terrible things about Brady in that thread & they will attack this post. Unfortunately, they can't deny the numbers. :laugh:
Preach brother

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

The amount of missed assignments in the last 5 minutes of the game where we got scored on?
Scoring 4 more points than Stutzle in 6 more games played?

Stutzle had a bad year but I'm a little tired of this narrative that Tkachuk is some amazing player and we need to praise him more or he might leave and it would be terrible for this team. He's incredibly overrated, he's not good defensively. He's going to be turning 25. We know what he is.

For some context - this was a decent shooting percentage year so far in his career. He took 12 less shots than Auston Matthews and score half the goals. A terrible year for Stutzle is an average year for Brady Tkachuk shooting the puck. I think that sums it up. Maybe now you'll understand why some people like Stutzle. He had a terrible year and his shooting percentage is very similar to Brady Tkachuk's best years.

And stuff like this should mean something to people. When you look at volume shooters in the league over the last 2 years - you have threats who have won or will win an Art Ross.... and then you have Brady Tkachuk.

1. Pastrnak 789 shots, 108 goals
2. MacKinnon 771 shots, 93 goals
3. Tkachuk 704 shots, 72 goals
4. Matthews 696 shots, 109 goals
5. McDavid 615 shots, 96 goals

Should we keep banging our heads on the wall and pretend this will be the year? You know how people were begging Spezza to shoot more? Begging Stutzle to shoot more? Yeah, the opposite of that is what needs to happen here.

Last edited:

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
The amount of missed assignments in the last 5 minutes of the game where we got scored on?

Stutzle had a bad year but I'm a little tired of this narrative that Tkachuk is some amazing player and we need to praise him more or he might leave and it would be terrible for this team. He's incredibly overrated, he's not good defensively. He's going to be turning 25. We know what he is.

For some context - this was a decent shooting percentage year so far in his career. He took 12 less shots than Auston Matthews and score half the goals. A terrible year for Stutzle is an average year for Brady Tkachuk shooting the puck. I think that sums it up. Maybe now you'll understand why some people like Stutzle. He had a terrible year and his shooting percentage is very similar to Brady Tkachuk's best years.

And stuff like this should mean something to people. When you look at volume shooters in the league over the last 2 years - you have threats who have won or will win an Art Ross.... and then you have Brady Tkachuk.

Should we keep banging our heads on the wall and pretend this will be the year? You know how people were begging Spezza to shoot more? Begging Stutzle to shoot more? Yeah, the opposite of that is what needs to happen here.
What exactly is your point? Brady shouldn't score goals because sometimes he needs a couple whacks in tight and that makes his sh% too low for your liking...or..what?

Reactions: aragorn

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What exactly is your point? Brady shouldn't score goals because sometimes he needs a couple whacks in tight and that makes his sh% too low for your liking...or..what?

Do you think other teams and players don't have someone in front of the net disrupting?

If you believe this team is built wrong then we need to look at what we have that's substantially different from all other teams. I'm pointing out one example.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The narrative from many here after we took Brady

8 goals !!!! We wasted 4OA on a guy with 8 goals.

Then Brady produced and we heard that is was because of Stone. Stone leaves and Brady increases production.

Then it was Brady is at best a 25-25 guy until Brady blew away those predictions.

We heard early on Brady can’t skate. Well he moves pretty well now.

We heard Brady can’t score from more than 5 feet from the net. He scores from distance now.

We heard Brady has no vision and can’t make plays for others. Well that was proven wrong.

Now the narrative is that he can’t defend, well he is improving and doubting he becomes a plus defender is setting yourself to be proven wrong again.

Brady said himself he’s gong to step Away on input into making team decisions and he was to close to management - pretty hard to get a player to back check when he’s also making lineup and strategic decisions.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

The team needs Stuetzle to be the best player up front but your point here is off imo. Tkachuk is creating a lot of those shots from being a net front presence. Redirects. Trying to jam pucks where a goalie has the bottom of the net covered. Not quite the same thing as the shots the other names are taking

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006

The Senators really have the dumbest fans in the sport. Always have to find a good player to blame while cheerleading for a 4th liner.

Edit: Whoops, don’t know why I quoted that post in particular, didn’t mean for that..

Reactions: R We A Team and GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why do people always seem to need to turn it into a player x vs player y?

Two things can be true, both Brady and Stü can be great, and both can need to work on their defensive games,

Celebrating Tkachuk's accomplishments doesn't take away from Stü's or vice versa. We need both to be great if the team is going to be a contender.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The team needs Stuetzle to be the best player up front but your point here is off imo. Tkachuk is creating a lot of those shots from being a net front presence. Redirects. Trying to jam pucks where a goalie has the bottom of the net covered. Not quite the same thing as the shots the other names are taking

Other teams have players who do this. Other teams have their star players crash the net for opportunities. Tkachuk is unique in the league and we are a losing, non-playoff team

If some extremely intelligent hockey fans like @Snowwy want to celebrate losing they can do so. I guess I'm just not that smart for seeing losing hockey and praising it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad