Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I see a lot of posters saying Brady gets too emotional, same with Stu. That has been the organizational identity for a while.

Drunken unpredictable owner
Schizophrenic GM
Curling Skip for coach - Hard, hard

Andlauer / Staios / Poulin / New coach
Professionalism starts at the top and we now have it.

Reactions: Agent Zub and Loach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The problem with Brady isn't Brady.

It's the fact that if he is the best player on the team, the team isn't going anywhere. Stu needs to be better. Chabot needs to be better. Sandy will be better. Zub needs to return to being better.

Brady basically needs to be around the fourth or fifth best player on this team, for the team to succeed and be something to be respected in the playoffs.
Brady needs to play defence unless he’s cracking 100 points

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I personally don’t think you’re giving Brady enough credit here.

If Brady is your 4th or 5th best player on your team, you have the best team in the league by a wide margin.

Still weird to see the captain so underrated in here after everything he has accomplished so far at 24 years old.
I think, if Brady has better support, he is probably a 90 point player with 40+ goals.

What kind of numbers would he put up with an elite center and a top-end point producing D-man? Stutzle and Sanderson should get there. And once they do, it will be magical synergy between the three of them.

Brady has really elevated his goal scoring this year. His quick reception and release of the puck often surprises goalies. He now often beats goalies clean off the rush. While not as advanced, his ability to find soft spots in the slot and utilize a quick one-timer has also improved. It is a slow burn, but he is always adding elements to his game.

I think we will see peak Brady starting next year, as he takes another level up between 25 to 29.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Tied for 19th in goals scored.

Yeah he's emotional af, but still, nice to see someone on the team crack the top 20 in goal scored.

I think Stu was 21st last year. Hope they both get 40g next year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I see a lot of posters saying Brady gets too emotional, same with Stu. That has been the organizational identity for a while.

Drunken unpredictable owner
Schizophrenic GM
Curling Skip for coach - Hard, hard

Andlauer / Staios / Poulin / New coach
Professionalism starts at the top and we now have it.
Staios has very little experience as a NHL POHO and GM. Poulin has been out of NHL hockey management for many years. These hirings do not meet the criteria for "best in class".

We are waiting for the new Head Coach to be hired along with his staff.

Andlauer is an improvement over scrooge!

Brady needs to play defence unless he’s cracking 100 points
We need a coach that will emphasize defensive play.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Staios has very little experience as a NHL POHO and GM. Poulin has been out of NHL hockey management for many years. These hirings do not meet the criteria for "best in class".

We are waiting for the new Head Coach to be hired along with his staff.

Andlauer is an improvement over scrooge!

We need a coach that will emphasize defensive play.
Can we please not tie every move to an innocuous saying the owner dropped. Don’t let Best in Class become the new FYOUS. We finally have competent professionals.

Reactions: Loach and Icelevel

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Agree for the most part with the first sentence, but disagree with the second.

It was not an isolated incident of Brady getting rattled. It happened at least half a dozen times this year. You don't think other teams will take note? In the event of a playoff series they will try to get under his skin for sure. It's an issue.

That being said I think he'll look back and do some growing up. It's an issues that I'd bet on him addressing in the years to come.
Hard to get under his skin when he’s getting under yours though…. ;)

Once we’re good enough to make the playoffs we have a few guys in the roster right now that are going to ruffle a lot of feathers.

I can’t bloody wait to start making the playoffs instead of talking about it!!!

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can we please not tie every move to an innocuous saying the owner dropped. Don’t let Best in Class become the new FYOUS. We finally have competent professionals.
"Best in Class" is Andlauer's statement; he owns it.

I would like to see the team add a successful and experienced NHL GM, NHL coach, experienced NHL scouts, etc. Hiring newbies is not what I want to see. We have had enough of the low salaried staff. Go big; hire staff that command higher salaries because they have proven they can do the job.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I would like to see the team add a successful and experienced NHL GM, NHL coach, experienced NHL scouts, etc. Hiring newbies is not what I want to see. We have had enough of the low salaried staff. Go big; hire staff that command higher salaries because they have proven they can do the job.
I mean he seems to have hired pretty great people in the limited positions that have been filled hasn’t he?

Poulin is a legend and Nichol is supposed to be a highly regarded fitness guru as an example

Its not about the money or splash, it should be about legitimate talent for the position.

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This notion that Brady is bad defensively is nonsense. Brady was a +1 at seasons end while Stutzle was -17, Batherson -10 ( a big improvement), Giroux -14, Chychrun -30, Sanderson was a +8, Joseph -4, Norris -6, Chabpt -3, Pinto +9, Greig +10, Zub +5, Brannstrom +5, Kelly -8, Kubalik -30, JBD -7, Katchouk -6, Kastelic -5, Hamonic -10, Crookshank -3, MacEwan -4. There are a lot of guys on this team that need to be better defensively, some of them improved in that area including.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Well he hired the “best’ analytics guy, “the to p” guy in strength and conditioning. You obviously wanted a GM who has failed elsewhere but we have Staios who may turn out to be great. Who did you want ?

Reactions: Icelevel

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
This notion that Brady is bad defensively is nonsense. Brady was a +1 at seasons end while Stutzle was -17, Batherson -10 ( a big improvement), Giroux -14, Chychrun -30, Sanderson was a +8, Joseph -4, Norris -6, Chabpt -3, Pinto +9, Greig +10, Zub +5, Brannstrom +5, Kelly -8, Kubalik -30, JBD -7, Katchouk -6, Kastelic -5, Hamonic -10, Crookshank -3, MacEwan -4. There are a lot of guys on this team that need to be better defensively, some of them improved in that area including.

It’s 2024 and people still using the plus minus stat as an indicator for defence.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

That's a double edged sword. The only experienced NHL people are most recently unsuccessful. And some of the most successful current coaches were newbie hires.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It’s 2024 and people still using the plus minus stat as an indicator for defence.
Idk, maybe hockey players are all just Neanderthals. Ya it's 2024 and some eggheads that have never really played hockey have tried for a couple of decades to Moneyball hockey but to the Neanderthal world, that dash matters. You hear them reference it all the time.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I love facts.

Brady is a great captain.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Using it as relative to teammates, can be compared.
Still misses roles, and some contextual situations that make it very noisy. A penalty killer can only get a + while a pp player can only get a -, while both events are rare it still skews things since different players tend to play each role.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Still misses roles, and some contextual situations that make it very noisy. A penalty killer can only get a + while a pp player can only get a -, while both events are rare it still skews things since different players tend to play each role.
Ya shorties happens on about 4 - 5 goals probably, so comparing against teammates is as good as the stat can provide.

Reactions: aragorn

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Great analysis going on here

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya shorties happens on about 4 - 5 goals probably, so comparing against teammates is as good as the stat can provide.
Shorties are just one element though, Sanderson is playing against the toughest competition while Brannstrom is playing against the weakest, what insight do you get by comparing their plus minus?

You also have different toi, so a bad player who plays very little might be -2, while an ok player who leads the team in icetime might also be -2, so again, not particularly informative,

At best, you can look for the extremes and then do a deeper dive to understand why those guys stand out.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Well he hired the “best’ analytics guy, “the to p” guy in strength and conditioning. You obviously wanted a GM who has failed elsewhere but we have Staios who may turn out to be great. Who did you want ?
Who is the “best” analytics guy that we hired? And why is he the “best”?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad