Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I don't disagree that he needs to be more emotionally mature on the ice and work harder without the puck but to claim the above in bold is just ridiculous.

Please provide 1 example of a player throwing his current coach under the bus in an interview. I'll wait on pins and needles. Every hockey player in every league in the world is going to publicly back their team and coaches even if they privately believe otherwise.

To hold that against Brady as some kind of "gotcha" like no other captain is standing up for his coach is asinine.
What is that's kids name in StL? What did he say about Berube?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't disagree that he needs to be more emotionally mature on the ice and work harder without the puck but to claim the above in bold is just ridiculous.

Please provide 1 example of a player throwing his current coach under the bus in an interview. I'll wait on pins and needles. Every hockey player in every league in the world is going to publicly back their team and coaches even if they privately believe otherwise.

To hold that against Brady as some kind of "gotcha" like no other captain is standing up for his coach is asinine.

When your team boos you for whatever reason, the best thing to do is to take accountability before anything else. Look at the Bruins players response when the team just get booed Bruins react to getting booed off ice after ugly loss to Capitals

Brandon Carlo "And I love the fact that the fans and this organization hold us accountable when we don’t come to work to play, to be at our best. So that’s what you want from a fan base. I can’t imagine a better fan base to win in front of. So I respect it, obviously. But it’s something that I don’t want to hear, because that means we’re not doing our jobs"

Charlie Coyel "It’s just the standard that is here. We have that standard,” Charlie Coyle added. “The fans have that standard. They expect a lot and they deserve a lot. So yeah, it’s not a proud moment for us but they deserve [for] us to be our best and that’s up to us. And we didn’t give it to them tonight, and that’s a shame"

Ratboy (Marchand) "They get a quick memory, short memory. But that’s their right,” Marchand said of the boos. “They pay for tickets to come watch and they can cheer if they like what they see, they can boo if they don’t. So that’s up to them. Obviously, we know we have a very passionate sports city and very passionate fans and they expect us to win every game. It’s not gonna happen but they got to see the effort and obviously they didn’t like it tonight"

Each of those guys had a more composed response than Tkachuk, and that's just to boo's, not even the coach getting booed. If Tkachuk wants to defend DJ go for it, but point out that the roster is sucking despite them trying, but he didn't. Look at what Tage Thompson said in response to fans chanting Fire Granato ""He can only do so much," Thompson said"He can draw the system on the boards, and if he sends guys over the boards and they don't do their jobs, then it's not on him. It's on us. Everyone in this room knows that and we have to take accountability for that." Sabres players back Granato after fans chant to fire coach

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The narrative from many here after we took Brady

8 goals !!!! We wasted 4OA on a guy with 8 goals.

Then Brady produced and we heard that is was because of Stone. Stone leaves and Brady increases production.

Then it was Brady is at best a 25-25 guy until Brady blew away those predictions.

We heard early on Brady can’t skate. Well he moves pretty well now.

We heard Brady can’t score from more than 5 feet from the net. He scores from distance now.

We heard Brady has no vision and can’t make plays for others. Well that was proven wrong.

Now the narrative is that he can’t defend, well he is improving and doubting he becomes a plus defender is setting yourself to be proven wrong again.

There are a few posters on here that have a hate on for Brady and nothing will change their minds short of a Cup.
If you look at the problems of this year Brady is way down the list. Hell he is one of the few guys who have played hard these past 25 games when the Sens were out of it.
Two good posts. You can't win in the NHL without good goaltending & this pair is one of the two worse goalies in the league this yr. And then look at all the mistakes that key players like Stutzle, Chabot & Chychrun have made that lost us games & the deficiencies of other players on the roster & injuries to key players. Facts, not excuses & the team doesn't have the depth to be able to deal with all these problems in the same yr. On a positive note 3 guys have stepped up this yr to become relevant for the future in Pinto, Greig & I would add JBD who got better as the yr progressed & has led this team in blocked shots. Every blocked shot is one less scoring chance. Joseph also had a good start to this season, but tapered off in the 2nd half.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
When your team boos you for whatever reason, the best thing to do is to take accountability before anything else. Look at the Bruins players response when the team just get booed Bruins react to getting booed off ice after ugly loss to Capitals

Brandon Carlo "And I love the fact that the fans and this organization hold us accountable when we don’t come to work to play, to be at our best. So that’s what you want from a fan base. I can’t imagine a better fan base to win in front of. So I respect it, obviously. But it’s something that I don’t want to hear, because that means we’re not doing our jobs"

Charlie Coyel "It’s just the standard that is here. We have that standard,” Charlie Coyle added. “The fans have that standard. They expect a lot and they deserve a lot. So yeah, it’s not a proud moment for us but they deserve [for] us to be our best and that’s up to us. And we didn’t give it to them tonight, and that’s a shame"

Ratboy (Marchand) "They get a quick memory, short memory. But that’s their right,” Marchand said of the boos. “They pay for tickets to come watch and they can cheer if they like what they see, they can boo if they don’t. So that’s up to them. Obviously, we know we have a very passionate sports city and very passionate fans and they expect us to win every game. It’s not gonna happen but they got to see the effort and obviously they didn’t like it tonight"

Each of those guys had a more composed response than Tkachuk, and that's just to boo's, not even the coach getting booed. If Tkachuk wants to defend DJ go for it, but point out that the roster is sucking despite them trying, but he didn't. Look at what Tage Thompson said in response to fans chanting Fire Granato ""He can only do so much," Thompson said"He can draw the system on the boards, and if he sends guys over the boards and they don't do their jobs, then it's not on him. It's on us. Everyone in this room knows that and we have to take accountability for that." Sabres players back Granato after fans chant to fire coach
The Sabres also refused to salute their fans after the Fire Donny chants. So you can praise Thompson for saying all the right things to the media but his team pouted after the chants, they just didn't do in the immediate aftermath with a mic in their faces.

Turns out, when you have a team (or tribe or whatever close in-group you want to substitute here) and you feel you are being attacked by outside forces, the natural response is to close ranks and try to bust out some "Us against the world" schtick.

The way I see it, you can either decide that an emotional response on the back of a long losing streak (on top of never having a winning season here) is forever indicative of who Brady is or you chalk it up to emotions boiling over in a young captain and take a wait and see approach.

I choose the latter.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Two good posts. You can't win in the NHL without good goaltending & this pair is one of the two worse goalies in the league this yr. And then look at all the mistakes that key players like Stutzle, Chabot & Chychrun have made that lost us games & the deficiencies of other players on the roster & injuries to key players. Facts, not excuses & the team doesn't have the depth to be able to deal with all these problems in the same yr. On a positive note 3 guys have stepped up this yr to become relevant for the future in Pinto, Greig & I would add JBD who got better as the yr progressed & has led this team in blocked shots. Every blocked shot is one less scoring chance. Joseph also had a good start to this season, but tapered off in the 2nd half.
Sure but just having the puck more than the other team is also less scoring chances against. JBD had a negative shot differential with every partner he played with as well as having a negative Corsi Rel. He's not the worst player I've ever seen but he showed nothing to make me think he deserves to stay if we can shake loose a veteran to stabilize things on the backend

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The way I see it, you can either decide that an emotional response on the back of a long losing streak (on top of never having a winning season here) is forever indicative of who Brady is or you chalk it up to emotions boiling over in a young captain and take a wait and see approach.
Fwiw, I'm taking both. I think right now he's an inexperienced and immature leader who is a 1st line talent that can end up as elite, but needs to be better when it comes to those emotions boiling over. Definitely taking a wait and see approach because I'd like to see what he could do on a roster that has league average goaltending, not a one sided D, and some semblance of forward depth.

Game 7 Meltdown

Sep 24, 2019
Henri Richard. 1971 Stanley Cup final. Benched in Game 5. Called coach Al MacNeil the worst coach he'd ever played for. Then scored the tying and winning goals in Game 7. One of his 11 Stanley Cups. That was leadership.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure but just having the puck more than the other team is also less scoring chances against. JBD had a negative shot differential with every partner he played with as well as having a negative Corsi Rel. He's not the worst player I've ever seen but he showed nothing to make me think he deserves to stay if we can shake loose a veteran to stabilize things on the backend
Shot differential also has a lot to do with your situational usage, a guy like JBD is asked to defend, get it deep, and get a change so that more skilled offensive players can get on the ice and score the goals.

As for the neg shot differential, I'm not sure what you're referring to, this year he had 55% sf with Sanderson and 52% with Brannstrom, he is negative with Chabot and Chychrun though at 42 and 46%

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Shot differential also has a lot to do with your situational usage, a guy like JBD is asked to defend, get it deep, and get a change so that more skilled offensive players can get on the ice and score the goals.

As for the neg shot differential, I'm not sure what you're referring to, this year he had 55% sf with Sanderson and 52% with Brannstrom, he is negative with Chabot and Chychrun though at 42 and 46%
Ah that was my mistake, I hadn't updated the filter for 5v5 so it was including 4v5 situations.

Either way, doesn't really change my point that he is a replacement level player that we should look to upgrade if we can in the offseason

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Just watched Brady's presser.

He's far more reflective, humble, and accountable than I've seen from him.

He mentioned that this has been the toughest season on him mentally, which can often be a time of maturation if you feel supported through it.

This season seems to have changed him. Hopefully it lasts and he carries the positive momentum forward with the rest of the team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The problem with Brady isn't Brady.

It's the fact that if he is the best player on the team, the team isn't going anywhere. Stu needs to be better. Chabot needs to be better. Sandy will be better. Zub needs to return to being better.

Brady basically needs to be around the fourth or fifth best player on this team, for the team to succeed and be something to be respected in the playoffs.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The problem with Brady isn't Brady.

It's the fact that if he is the best player on the team, the team isn't going anywhere. Stu needs to be better. Chabot needs to be better. Sandy will be better. Zub needs to return to being better.

Brady basically needs to be around the fourth or fifth best player on this team, for the team to succeed and be something to be respected in the playoffs.
I personally don’t think you’re giving Brady enough credit here.

If Brady is your 4th or 5th best player on your team, you have the best team in the league by a wide margin.

Still weird to see the captain so underrated in here after everything he has accomplished so far at 24 years old.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

If Brady is your 4th or 5th best player on your team, you have the best team in the league by a wide margin.

Still weird to see the captain so underrated in here after everything he has accomplished so far at 24 years old.
I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle

Brady was our best player this year. But if you want to be successful in this league you need multiple guys that are elite

I thought Stuetzle was going to join the league's elite this season but he had an awful year. There were 9 guys with 100+ points this year. We needed Stuetzle to be that 10th guy. He was 19th the year before and expecting continued progression wasn't unreasonable. Stuetzle was several postal codes away from my expectations of him. They say that progression isn't linear. Ok. Well then, let's hope Stuetzle has a bounce back season because we need him among the elite point producers to be competitive

Again with Chabot. If he's not going to produce in line with his contract then our chances are quite limited

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It's more that our other guys need to be better.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It's more that our other guys need to be better.
I think the only two players that could or even need to be better than Brady are Stützle and Sanderson, as the #1C and #1D. And I suspect they will be. But I don’t know why Brady needs to be 4th or 5th, he’s a high end player himself.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I’ll chalk that up as the leader of the team feeling the pressure, frustration and disappointment on the season letting it out.

This is a non issue

Agree for the most part with the first sentence, but disagree with the second.

It was not an isolated incident of Brady getting rattled. It happened at least half a dozen times this year. You don't think other teams will take note? In the event of a playoff series they will try to get under his skin for sure. It's an issue.

That being said I think he'll look back and do some growing up. It's an issues that I'd bet on him addressing in the years to come.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agree for the most part with the first sentence, but disagree with the second.

It was not an isolated incident of Brady getting rattled. It happened at least half a dozen times this year. You don't think other teams will take note? In the event of a playoff series they will try to get under his skin for sure. It's an issue.

That being said I think he'll look back and do some growing up. It's an issues that I'd bet on him addressing in the years to come.

So, people are upset that he gets rattled and starts crap when the game is pretty much over and nothing can come of it... but wouldn't getting easily rattled mean losing focus when it still matters?

How many times has Brady lost us a game with his actions? I really can't think of any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad