Prospect Info: Brady Vail (invited to Leafs' camp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
I think that MB made a great pick, he's 17th in scoring, 61gp 31g 48a 79pts not bad for a 4th round center 6,1, 197 lbs. He's a +37 and a solid two-way player.:handclap: I remember him being projected much higher than where he went in the draft. Outside of DeLarose, he's our next best center prospect (not counting current players)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
More center controversy in Montreal.:sarcasm:

Thanks for passing that info along. Hope he continues to develop nicely.

Analyzer*

McCarron has been playing centre in London and doing quite well, so I guess he might count as a centre prospect now ?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Did management change their mind about Vail? Last I remember, there was a tweet saying that MB doesn't plan on signing him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He was invited to Leafs main camp today. What's the story on this guy?

Seems to be a big work ethic problem. And then, he was just cut by the Canes. Really surprising at least for me, really thought him to be a very good future 2-way player.

HabsFanInTO

HabsFanInBC Now
Nov 2, 2009
Powell River, BC
Vail

Started playing hockey a little later than most, seems to be a natural athlete, his numbers were good in the OHL. Good two-way game, coach had him playing D a couple of times even.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He was invited to Leafs main camp today. What's the story on this guy?

2 clubs have dropped him before even his first pro game. Must be something major wrong with him as he has size and his stats look good. That is a lot of scouts and hockey people who got rid of him quick.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
i was very happy about the pick at the time. Must have done something that really pissed off Habs brass for them to not bother signing him.

No karakter = no contract!

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
As a guy who watched a lot of Vail over the last couple years, I just don't think he does any one thing well enough to have pro written on him. He's a good skater, not great. He's got good offensive instincts, not great. He's a good special teams guy, not great. He's not overly physical, etc.

And he's inconsistent. I was never 100% sold on him. Just invisible too much of the time.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
As a guy who watched a lot of Vail over the last couple years, I just don't think he does any one thing well enough to have pro written on him. He's a good skater, not great. He's got good offensive instincts, not great. He's a good special teams guy, not great. He's not overly physical, etc.

And he's inconsistent. I was never 100% sold on him. Just invisible too much of the time.
I always thought with his versatility and broad range of "decent" attributes that he would otherwise make a good character guy in the middle-bottom of a lineup. Something like we got with a Mike Johnson or Jeff Halpern *if* he worked at it. But he sure doesn't seem to carry that persona otherwise, and whatever his intangibles are, they seem to be all negative so far. There's kind of a cognitive dissonance there between my draft-day perception of him, plus even some OHL viewings on the ice, and then the way things have instead played out. Oh well. Goes to show, even seeing a player, you never really know what's going on.

InnuJoker

P.K./Price 3x low 5
Feb 25, 2012
It's a shame, I thought we already signed him. Was he invited to Canadiens rookie camp?

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Early reports from Leafs camp:

"What a gong show!" - Phil Kessel

Early reports from Habs camp:

"We're going to start Galchenyuk at centre" - Marc Bergevin

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Early reports from Leafs camp:

"What a gong show!" - Phil Kessel

Early reports from Habs camp:

"We're going to start Galchenyuk at centre" - Marc Bergevin

babyfistpump.jpg

But seriously, Vail isn't really a player that would have made our lineup soon, or brought any outstanding contribution. I'd picture him to, if he makes the NHL, become some kind of Smolinski or Sundstrom. Not sure if we want to spend development time on a player that's a dime a dozen in the NHL, for cheap.

So yeah. GL to him on the Leafs org. Not that big a deal, really.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
babyfistpump.jpg

But seriously, Vail isn't really a player that would have made our lineup soon, or brought any outstanding contribution. I'd picture him to, if he makes the NHL, become some kind of Smolinski or Sundstrom. Not sure if we want to spend development time on a player that's a dime a dozen in the NHL, for cheap.

So yeah. GL to him on the Leafs org. Not that big a deal, really.

If management knew he was gonna have a career like Smolinski had, Vail would be in training camp in montreal right now.

Analyzer*

or Sundstrom.

If they knew Vail would have any kind of NHL career, they'd still have him.

Or Carolina would have kept him at their camp.

Doesn't mean Vail doesn't have a chance, but it's not likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino