Brady Tkachuk vs Matthew Tkachuk's Rookie Season

Who had the more impressive rookie season?

• Total voters

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Well yeah, Brady has pretty much been thrown out to the wolves. There are different ways of developing a player. Under Brady’s circumstances, he’ll have to learn the hard way because he’s one of the better players on the Sens, Matty has learned a hell of a two way game and now is just showing his offensive abilities.
What? No. Brady's been thrown out there and they've said "Do what you want". There's no structure to follow, he has free hands and the ice time he needs. Ottawa Senators are a bad team but even in the bad teams someone needs to score.

This is Matthew in my opinion.

Reactions: DirtDiver

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In what way was M. Tkachuk sheltered? He has always played on the shutdown line with Backlund and Frolik, starting in the defensive zone more than the offensive zone.

Because it was just stated Matt played behind gaudreau. So geaudreau faced the tougher matchups leaving Matt easier competition.

You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: gab6511

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Brady and he continues to get underrated. He has tools Matthew just doesn't have because of the size difference.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Did you just refer to Hamilton and Giordano as having no elite skill?
I was mostly referring to the forwards as far as offensive skill, as I was just listing the names on Matt's scoring logs. Offensively Hamilton/Gio were pretty similar to Chabot this year in my opinion, Gio has obviously stepped it up a lot in 2018 however.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Brady and he continues to get underrated. He has tools Matthew just doesn't have because of the size difference.
Not sure how their actual sizes are in real life, but Hockey-Reference has Matt at 188cm-91kg and Brady at 190cm-88kg. So pretty much the same size.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Because it was just stated Matt played behind gaudreau. So geaudreau faced the tougher matchups leaving Matt easier competition.

Wrong. I did say Matthew plays behind Gaudreau. But what you're not comprehending is Tkachuk got the tougher starts and was part of a shutdown line than Gaudreau ever was, and that has always been the case.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Matthew.

Comparable offensive numbers with significantly harder minutes, less offensive opportunities, and far better advanced stats.

Matthew has been a legitimate shutdown forward since joining the NHL. He had 35% offensive zone starts in his rookie season for crying out loud.

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
View media item 4509
Not sure how their actual sizes are in real life, but Hockey-Reference has Matt at 188cm-91kg and Brady at 190cm-88kg. So pretty much the same size.
If you look at pictures of them together Brady has a larger frame then Mathew. He will be the bigger physical force. Not saying that will make him a better player, but it's why scouts said he is a bigger meaner version of his older brother.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
View media item 4509If you look at pictures of them together Brady has a larger frame then Mathew. He will be the bigger physical force. Not saying that will make him a better player, but it's why scouts said he is a bigger meaner version of his older brother.
Interesting, Brady definitely looks more than 2cm taller than Matt thats for sure LOL

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I don't think there's an incorrect answer, here. They were both very impressive rookie years in different ways.

-Matthew looked to be a little better passer and playmaker, while being a very good net front presence. (His cleverness with and without the puck around the net is probably the best part of his game right now)

-Brady probably hasn't shown the same level of playmaking ability yet, (Could still come for sure) but looks like a guy that will have a chance to be the best net front presence in the league, and terrorize goalies and defenseman in the short slot for years. He's 6th in the entire league in individual high danger chances/60 as a 19 year old rookie. (And only a hair off of 4th-5th) He got 17 shot attempts and 12 shots on net in a game the other night.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems to me Brady is the better athlete while Matty has better hockey IQ. I think if you had to pick one I'd go with hockey IQ just because it seems to produce more consistently. Wouldn't shock me at all to see Brady have some goal scoring seasons that outdo Matt tho.

As for their rookie campaigns? Matt was not sheltered lol, he started only 35.7% in the OZ. Took the hardest matchups with Backlund and had a CF% of 55.9. He was great, I think I'd give a slight edge to him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah that's wrong. Tkachuk played with Backlund and Fro for the last 60 games, becoming the 3M line. They were the Flames shutdown line and played against the top opposing lines every game. They also had games with 100% defensive zone starts.

Tkachuk his rookie year had some of the best possession numbers in the entire NHL.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What? No. Brady's been thrown out there and they've said "Do what you want". There's no structure to follow, he has free hands and the ice time he needs. Ottawa Senators are a bad team but even in the bad teams someone needs to score.

This is Matthew in my opinion.

Yup, this is definitely sounds like Guy Boucher.

:sarcasm:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Regarding Brady I just want to say ever since Stone left he has really taken off. Prior to the trade I felt that trading Stone would be harmful to him but as of right now he has been better without him. I think there's two factors at play here. I think the coaching staff has challenged Brady more and he has responded well but I also think playing along Stone he became complacent.

Prior to the season starting I made the comparison between the two because neither is flashy but both are very effective. The way Brady would gain the offensive zone and distribute the puck in Dev camp and training camp was very Stone like. With Stone I think Brady feel into a the role of being the net front presence and never took a step forward. Without Stone now he is more frequently the player who is gaining the zone and making plays in the NZ and OZ and he has excelled.

Earlier in the season and mid season a number of fans questioned whether Brady was the type of player who could drive a line or if he was more of a complimentary type but I think the last month has really silenced those concerns.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Wrong. I did say Matthew plays behind Gaudreau. But what you're not comprehending is Tkachuk got the tougher starts and was part of a shutdown line than Gaudreau ever was, and that has always been the case.

Yeah that's wrong. Tkachuk played with Backlund and Fro for the last 60 games, becoming the 3M line. They were the Flames shutdown line and played against the top opposing lines every game. They also had games with 100% defensive zone starts.

Tkachuk his rookie year had some of the best possession numbers in the entire NHL.

You guys are confusing offense with defense.

You guys are talking about how tkachuk was on a shut down line facing tough offensive opponents... But that wasn't the conversation.

The conversation was about tkachuks offensive numbers. So what matters more is the opponents defensive ability, and no doubt gaudreau faced tougher defensive opposition leaving the lesser defensive opposition to play against tkachuk.

The other team sure as hell isn't sending their shut down defensive line against other teams shut down defensive line. They'd put it against gaudreau...leaving Matt to go against a good offensive line, but not as good defensively, allowing Matt weaker defensive competition which helps his offensive numbers.

It's like back in the day with Ottawa having hossa, alfredsson, and havlat on the right side. Havlat often played on a shut down line with Fisher as his center.

The opponents would put their best defensive line against hossa and alfredsson, and havlat would play against the other teams top offensive line. This helped havlat create a lot of offense as he didn't face the other teams most capable defensive players, he instead faced their most capable offensive players who think offense.

So havlat was on a shut down line meaning he faced the other teams best(offensively) yet benefited from being sheltered in the sense the other team focused on shutting down other players leaving havlat to score when other teams are thinking offense instead of defense.

There's a difference between being sheltered offensively and being sheltered defensively.

The claim is Matt was sheltered offensively compared to Brady as he was never the go to offensive guy with gaudreau around. You guys responded showing how he wasn't sheltered defensively, but that wasn't the original claim.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In what way was M. Tkachuk sheltered? He has always played on the shutdown line with Backlund and Frolik, starting in the defensive zone more than the offensive zone.
Not hard to figure out playing against the other teams shut down players is harder to score against. The posts saying its a bad thing playing behind Gaudreau is HILARIOUS.

Pretty equal seasons.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I guess it depends what you consider more difficult, scoring points at a relatively median level (40ish range) or being top in possession metrics in the entire league (and being one of the only + players on your team).

Brady has "harder" matchups, because he's usually playing other teams shutdown lines, and his scoring is impressive for a rookie. Matthew has "harder" matchups, because he's carrying water for the rest of team in the d-zone keeping pucks off the oppositions stick, and chipping in points here and there.

Ultimately, it's almost a wash, with a slight edge to Matthew because he literally was the best in the NHL at something in his rookie year. I acknowledge this may be homer bias so I'll abstain from voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad