Brady Tkachuk vs 2019 4th Overall

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
And we'll see how hypocritical all this "We would root for another team to lose!" business is.

There's a difference between hoping for a team to lose and obnoxious gloating, although I am not surprised if Avs fans cant grasp the difference

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Ottawa dodged a bullet for sure at the draft. Unfortunately, Melnyk fires off a half dozen at his own Team every year that can not be dodged. Until the Eug is gone, it will be rinse and repeat for Sens and their fans when the next superstar is a pending UFA.

Reactions: Danythegod

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There's a difference between hoping for a team to lose and obnoxious gloating, although I am not surprised if Avs fans cant grasp the difference
I’m sure it’s not any worse than y’all feel about any givenLeafs fiasco.

I highly doubt Columbus’ standing, especially if they aren’t contending will be the elephant in the room.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I argued very strongly last year that Ottawa 100% should have drafted last year, and let this year's pick go.

Math was in their favor for many reasons:

1. No matter how bad this season looked like it could be for Ottawa - finishing last is never a certainty. Many teams expecting to do horrible have great seasons (Col last year). Many times teams you don't expect have historically bad seasons and do worst than other expected bad teams (Col - 2 years ago). So even though things looked really bad for Ottawa for this past season - it was just as likely that they finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th from last in the league than last overall.

2. Even IF Ottawa finished last this season (and obviously - they did) - the odds the last place teams wins the lottery is 50/50 (that's for any of spots 1, 2 or 3). only ~20% chance at first place.

I think if they liked the player available to them last year highly enough (and they seemed to have been high on Tkachuk) - it was the right call to make.

The Duchene trade and the overpayment is still a horrible trade - but I have absolutely 0 issues with how they handled the draft picks once it was clear last year what their options were.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I argued very strongly last year that Ottawa 100% should have drafted last year, and let this year's pick go.

Math was in their favor for many reasons:

1. No matter how bad this season looked like it could be for Ottawa - finishing last is never a certainty. Many teams expecting to do horrible have great seasons (Col last year). Many times teams you don't expect have historically bad seasons and do worst than other expected bad teams (Col - 2 years ago).
Which didn't happen in a vacuum.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Examples of this "obnoxious gloating"? If it was the thead on our board than that seems like an oversell. From what I saw more fans from other squads gave you flack than the Avs.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
At the time of Brady Tkachuk being drafted it seemed many were split if taking him was the right decision and up until about 6:45 (mountain time) last night it looked like it might not be. Now that it's official that the pick is fourth overall, does the pick have more value than Tkachuk?

This does not involve the decision made by the Sens, but rather just the value of the potential players at 4 this year versus Brady Tkachuk.

OP says this ... and then HF goes into 8 pages about the decision.

I think the consensus is that Tkachuk is worth more than the 2019 4OA and probably also the 3OA. Dorion also said in the end of year press conference that they would rather have Tkachuk than the 4OA this year.

He had similar point production to Matthew in his rookie year and the Senators would be expecting him to become close to as productive at the same age (Matthew had 77 points this season). If Brady is a 1st line winger putting up 60+ points by 21 he will definitely have justified his draft position and Ottawa's scouting decisions (noting that Tkachuk was NOT a consensus top 5 pick leading in to the draft).

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Still too early to tell, but I doubt you'll find many Sens fans disappointed with Tkachuk. Obviously having both Tkachuk and a potential #1C on a cheap ELC would be more ideal, but it is what it is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad