Brady Tkachuk vs 2019 #4 Overall Pick

Which asset would you rather have?

• Total voters

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tkachuk. It was a bad trade, but Ottawa made the right choice in keeping that pick. You really can't go into any season expecting to finish bottom 3. Not only is the lottery unpredictable, but we've seen teams have better seasons than expected recently (Islanders, Vegas last year). It was worth the gamble.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Depends on who is picked #4?

If Turcotte's available I'd rather have #4.
Tkachuk. It was a bad trade, but Ottawa made the right choice in keeping that pick.
You wouldn't be saying this if Avalanche picked #1 or #2. You can't evaluate decisions via hindsight.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

You wouldn't be saying this if Avalanche picked #1 or #2. You can't evaluate decisions via hindsight.

Yes you can because ultimately that is the final result

Reactions: Silky mitts

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
you obviously go with the more proven asset right now but I believe that Turcotte/Dach (assuming the Avs pick one of those 2) both have higher upside than Tkachuk.

Reactions: avsfan09

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes you can because ultimately that is the final result
The ultimate outcome doesn't affect the evaluation of the decision.

Well, at least with something like this, where it's just luck-based. Obviously it's different with scouting etc.

Let's say for example, that if Senators did give away the pick, they'd have won this year's lottery. You don't know whether that would happen or not.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Well, without using hindsight, even if the Sens were guaranteed to finish last (they werent), this was still the most likely outcome by a large margin. Before the first puck was dropped this season, it was overwhelmingly likely that the pick would be 4th or lower. The chances that it would be top 3 got higher as the season went on but they has never been a single second where the pick was more likely to be 3rd or higher than the likelihood that it would be 4th or lower.

So, in short, your reasoning is flawed on at least as many levels as theirs

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017

51% chance of picking 4th

35% chance of picking 1/2.

Ottawa having the best odds is hindsight too. They made the right call by game theory.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Tkachuk pretty easily

And yes, Ottawa made the right call. Even if the Sens finished at the bottom of the standings (which they did), there was a better chance the pick would be #4 than #1, #2 or #3.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
51% chance of picking 4th

35% chance of picking 1/2.

Ottawa having the best odds is hindsight too. They made the right call by game theory.
Ottawa having the best odds is hindsight in a way, but them finishing last was called by numerous people, myself included. Looks like you're not interested in EV evaluation then.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I mean first of all congrats to Colorado getting the 4OV pick, Bowers and Girard for a year a 1/2 of Matt Duchene. Regardless of the result, Colorado will get an incredible return.

That aside, there's no doubt that Tkachuk was the choice to make over this years' pick. Props to Dorion on this one, almost everyone criticized this pick, myself included. Tkachuk is not a top line C, or a #1 D, but he is a franchise changing player in his own way. The way he plays he makes every shift count and as a fan you just cannot get enough of these guys, they are a very rare commodity in this league. Ottawa needed this DESPERATELY after the Karlsson deal, and subsequently the Stone and Duchene deals.

Reactions: Mack Attack

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a coin flip. For the Leafs, I'd rather have Tkachuk, because he would solve an immediate need (a skilled and gritty LWer, who can slot anywhere in the top 9). Now, everything else is situational based. In a full rebuild, you may prefer the franchise center upside of Turcotte or Dach.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well, without using hindsight, even if the Sens were guaranteed to finish last (they werent), this was still the most likely outcome by a large margin. Before the first puck was dropped this season, it was overwhelmingly likely that the pick would be 4th or lower. The chances that it would be top 3 got higher as the season went on but they has never been a single second where the pick was more likely to be 3rd or higher than the likelihood that it would be 4th or lower.

So, in short, your reasoning is flawed on at least as many levels as theirs

This is what Sens fans tried explaining to other fans (specifically Avs fans) all season, but to them they had the unlikely scenario of Hughes to Colorado.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
In isolation it's more advantageous to take the earlier pick at the same position. Everyone wants results sooner than later. Ottawa did nothing wrong taking the option earlier, they were just complete idiots to have traded it away in the first place.

Reactions: topshelf15

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Hughes/Kakko > Tkachuk > #4OA
In the end, it worked out for Ottawa (still a bad trade though).

Reactions: wasup

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I personally rate both Byram and Turcotte higher than Brady, so I'm happy they kept him in that sense. What hurts, is that the Avs need impact players asap, and both of those kids probably won't play in the bigs until 20/21 at best.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Ottawa having the best odds is hindsight in a way, but them finishing last was called by numerous people, myself included. Looks like you're not interested in EV evaluation then.

The odds were against picking #1 or #2 even assuming they finish last, which itself wasn't a guarantee back then regardless of how bad the situation looked like, especially considering they still had EK at the time. Granted, those odds ended up being more than decent for a top 2 pick but the right call was made, both at the time and in hindsight.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I'd rather have both, but I've grown fond of Brady over the season, so I'd rather take him over this year's 4th.

The kids available at 4th are going to be great prospects, and they probably have higher upside, skills wise, than Brady, but I don't see anyone with the combination of talent, skill and intangibles that Brady has.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly think Byram/Cozen has higher upside.

Doesn't matter, we need the help now not in a few years.

I could sue you for the whiplash from putting these sentences back-to-back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad