Who would you rather have?

• Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Robert Thomas

Votes: 66 42.0%

• Total voters

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brady if you already have an elite team with two great centers.

Thomas for everyone else.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It’s close, but I’d have to go with Tkachuk. He’s just a rarer talent.

Thomas plays the more valuable position and is signed longer, so brings a bit more value from a contract perspective, but I just think it’s really hard to find a true power forward these days and Tkachuk is one of the best.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Easily Thomas.
I don't think it's an easy choice. As a Sens fan, I think Thomas is more talented. Probably a better player overall in a vacuum. But it's a team sport and adding Tkachuk to any line changes the dynamic completely.

I think this one depends more on team need than anything. I'd love Thomas on the Sens.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If you look at defensive responsibilities, offensive impact, raw scoring, usage, special teams play, position, and contract status…it’s Robert Thomas in a landslide. The guy is having a remarkable season and is criminally underrated.

Brady is a great player, and his size/skill combo is rare. But you take a franchise top 10 in the league 1C over a top 15ish winger every day of the f***ing week.

Reactions: rumrokh

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If you're the Boston Bruins - Adding a legit center like Thomas is way more valuable than adding another great winger.

If you're team North America - Thomas is certainly not making the cut at center. Brady's more unique skillset may very well gt him on that roster though.

So really - it depends on the team.

For my team (Ottawa), it's Tkachuk by a lot. They already have good centers, and adding another one causes more confusion than it does solve problems. For STL, it may very well be Thomas, but you'd have to ask them.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Thomas is better in a vacuum if you’re starting a team, at least in terms of his play this year, but I’d rather have Tkachuk on the Canucks. Rarer skillset. I think this probably hold for a lot of teams who feel set at center

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is a tough one. From a Canucks perspective, yes...you want the big goal scoring power winger. But...you also have the weigh the contract situations, where it's not altogether clear how likely Tkachuk is to want out of Canada like his brother, and you're simply getting less of that "value deal" either way before the next contract has to be negotiated.

The other aspect is...i think Thomas is the better player in a vacuum. Tkachuk's edge is in that he's in some ways a more "rare" player as one of the few remaining quasi-power Forward types. But Thomas is better, more versatile, and more well-rounded.

I think ultimately, i probably just take the player i like better with the better contract situation, and just try to find a bit of "size" and "physicality" somewhere else.

Whether that'd be the Lotto-line + Thomas anchoring a 2nd unit. Or Thomas centering Pettersson and a Miller-Boeser duo on the other...that's not something i worry about patching the "3rd wheel" on either line too much. It also gives more option to just run impossibly 3 deep that nobody could match with all three carrying a line. And more importantly, it'd give the Canucks a lot more of the speed they kind of lack in the Top-6, as well as far better defensive play, more ability elevate linemates than Tkachuk, and more contributions to things like the PK and RH faceoff options that do also matter.

So yeah...i'd take Thomas. Even if Brady is the "easier" direct plug in to a current hole in the lineup.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The fact this poll is close is a testament to the lack of leaguewide recognition that Robert Thomas is receiving for the incredible year he is putting together. Severely underrated player right now.

Outscoring his next highest teammate by 20+ points, top 8 in league wide scoring among centers, +13 on a team with a -12 goal differential, playing big minutes in all situations against opponents top lines (including 1:40 PK per game), well over 50% on the dot, etc etc etc.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The fact this poll is close is a testament to the lack of leaguewide recognition that Robert Thomas is receiving for the incredible year he is putting together. Severely underrated player right now.

Outscoring his next highest teammate by 20+ points, top 8 in league wide scoring among centers, +13 on a team with a -12 goal differential, playing big minutes in all situations against opponents top lines (including 1:40 PK per game), well over 50% on the dot, etc etc etc.

But does he fight and yell?

Super close poll, there’s still time for 6+ of you to make the correct decision!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They’re very close and “who you’d take” would largely depend on the team.

I think if you were to start a team from scratch, Thomas is the choice. He’s a legit C you can build around. Not sure you could build around a physical 70pt W.

If you already have your Cs, then it’s Tkachuck

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I assume Thomas crushes Tkachuk in advanced stats this year?

I like this one because it feels very.. heart vs. available info. I see Thomas should be considered better this year, but Tkachuk feels more important.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
From an Avs fans perspective if you had asked me before yesterday I'm saying Thomas. Ask me today I'm saying Brady.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad