Rumor: Brady Tkachuk informs BU he intends to go pro

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Why would he want to play in the CHL for free? Why would the Sens want a team they have no control over developing it's player? Just find it surprising how many people think he's going to London.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Why would he want to play in the CHL for free? Why would the Sens want a team they have no control over developing it's player? Just find it surprising how many people think he's going to London.
Pretty sure he can sign an ELC while playing in the CHL...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He would get his $92,500 signing bonus, immediately.

But, I don't think any of what Brady is doing is driven by money. His dad made close to 80m USD before taxes. If he really wanted to play the money game, his best move would to do what Mittelstadt did last season, and Hughes is likely to do this year. Which is sign late in the season and burn a full ELC season by playing a game, and then becoming an RFA in 2021-22. Signing now gives Sens too slide years.

Looking at something recently, he could actually do what Overhardt seems to be recommending to his clients (as Lucas Johansen and Cal Foote are the only prospects I've seen do it), which is, he could sign with the Knights but not Ottawa, play his season there and sign with Ottawa on or after January 1st, 2019. That eliminates any future slide years from his deal. I haven't seen any first rounder outside of Overhardt's do this, and it is only possible if you are a September 16-December 31st birthday.

My guess is that he just signs his regular ELC, shows up to camp and they figure it out from there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

But, I don't think any of what Brady is doing is driven by money. His dad made close to 80m USD before taxes. If he really wanted to play the money game, his best move would to do what Mittelstadt did last season, and Hughes is likely to do this year. Which is sign late in the season and burn a full ELC season by playing a game, and then becoming an RFA in 2021-22. Signing now gives Sens too slide years.

Looking at something recently, he could actually do what Overhardt seems to be recommending to his clients (as Lucas Johansen and Cal Foote are the only prospects I've seen do it), which is, he could sign with the Knights but not Ottawa, play his season there and sign with Ottawa on or after January 1st, 2019. That eliminates any future slide years from his deal. I haven't seen any first rounder outside of Overhardt's do this, and it is only possible if you are a September 16-December 31st birthday.

My guess is that he just signs his regular ELC, shows up to camp and they figure it out from there.
With Brady, I’m sure they have discussed the options with the sens before he signed. So, they know what to expect if brady plays to a certain level.

One thing to remember about NCAA is that the frozen four tournament runs from April 9 - April 11. NHL Teams end their s Season on April 6. So, if these kids make the final four they won’t be able to burn that year.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK

Or he could get the signing bonus and go on to make some money playing against men. Perhaps I'm missing the point of playing part time against kids for free. Allows more time to train while waiting for his teammates to get out of Biology class?

Are you just assuming he doesn't care about money because his dad is rich or do you know him? In my experience having money doesn't remove wanting more... kinda the opposite.

I'm just of the opinion that the CHL NHL agreement is awful for high end prospects, forcing players that still need development onto the NHL team too soon or onto a junior team that adds little to their development. Prime recent example is Draisaitl. This player is in a unique position to bypass that BS.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
All the speculation that he wouldn't sign was ridiculous and he was projected as the second most NHL ready prospect in the draft after Dahlin, so this news should surprise no one.

It wouldn't shock me if Ottawa wants put him up with Duchene sooner rather than later to see if he can develop some chemistry and use it to entice Duchene to re-sign. They probably also think some time working with Mark Stone before Stone bails will do him some good.
Brady Tkachuk is not more NHL-ready than Andrei Svechnikov is...

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Brady Tkachuk is not more NHL-ready than Andrei Svechnikov is...

Svech is a better prospect with a higher ceiling, but tkachuk is more physically mature and nhl ready. That was a large part in why he was ranked #3 on Bob's list. He doesn't have the greatest upside, but he's likely to reach it, and soon.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Svech is a better prospect with a higher ceiling, but tkachuk is more physically mature and nhl ready. That was a large part in why he was ranked #3 on Bob's list. He doesn't have the greatest upside, but he's likely to reach it, and soon.
I suppose. Svechnikov certainly isn't as overtly physical as Tkachuk, but I don't think that Andrei will have any problems with the physicality of the NHL. I can see the argument that Svechnikov has more room for growth to strengthen his body than Tkachuk.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
in the modern NHL, where refs don't allow nearly as much physical leeway, speed, hockey sense and skill are far more important than being "physically mature".

I'd say Svech has a much higher chance at cracking the NHL right away, and if they both make it Svech has a much higher chance at having a better rookie season.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I do think he's very ready, but because it's the Senators he should hold back. I think Buffalo or the Boston Bruins might be the best fit for him to be honest.

If he does play in the CHL he'll be allowed to show more of his true Tkachuk colours.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Or he could get the signing bonus and go on to make some money playing against men. Perhaps I'm missing the point of playing part time against kids for free. Allows more time to train while waiting for his teammates to get out of Biology class?

Are you just assuming he doesn't care about money because his dad is rich or do you know him? In my experience having money doesn't remove wanting more... kinda the opposite.

I'm just of the opinion that the CHL NHL agreement is awful for high end prospects, forcing players that still need development onto the NHL team too soon or onto a junior team that adds little to their development. Prime recent example is Draisaitl. This player is in a unique position to bypass that BS.
My point about money, was that he isn't under economic pressure to immediately get paid the most at the expense of his development. He is actually bypassing a way that could make him more money in the long-term, by waiting 6 to 8 months, so he removes slide years from his deal, bringing him to RFA quicker. His family is in a position to help him out financially to large extent right now given their cash flow, so he could shortly pay them back. It isn't that he doesn't care about money, it is that being well off allows him freedom to do certain things that could result in more money long-term. If the Tkachuk's thought development wise he was best off at BU, I doubt Keith would have much issue loaning Brady the 92k signing bonus he'd receive this year if money was the primary factor he was using to justify going pro.

Also, now that he's out of the NCAA, there is nothing stopping an agency from loaning him cash for a short period, if they think there is a longer pay-off in doing what Overhardt did with Cal Foote and Ryan Johansen.

Reactions: derriko

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My point about money, was that he isn't under economic pressure to immediately get paid the most at the expense of his development. He is actually bypassing a way that could make him more money in the long-term, by waiting 6 to 8 months, so he removes slide years from his deal, bringing him to RFA quicker. His family is in a position to help him out financially to large extent right now given their cash flow, so he could shortly pay them back. It isn't that he doesn't care about money, it is that being well off allows him freedom to do certain things that could result in more money long-term. If the Tkachuk's thought development wise he was best off at BU, I doubt Keith would have much issue loaning Brady the 92k signing bonus he'd receive this year if money was the primary factor he was using to justify going pro.

Also, now that he's out of the NCAA, there is nothing stopping an agency from loaning him cash for a short period, if they think there is a longer pay-off in doing what Overhardt did with Cal Foote and Ryan Johansen.
Very valid points. It does make logica sense for late birthday guys to wait to sign their elc if hey come from the CHL. Hunter shinkaruk was drafted in 2013 and went back to Medicine Hat for the 13-14 season. Has been in the ahl since the 14-15 season. His elc slide for 14-15 so he’s played 4 years in the ahl on his elc. Goldobin is going to be the same thing. He’s a 2014 draft pick and this will be year 4 as a pro in his elc.

That said, remember that Brady could have returned to BU and really there’s not much to choose from between the chl and NCAA for the top guys. More games vs more practice time.

I would suspect that a condition for him to sign would be that the sens let him burn an elc year this year then they can either assign him to the ahl or ohl depending on how his first 10 NHL games goes.

If he went back to BU he might not be able to burn his elc year since the finals of the tournament run after the nhl season ends. BU would need to be eliminated in the regionals which conclude at the eNd of March leaving about 3 games left for him to sign and burn his elc year.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

actually if you read it he said almost the opposite. He said Brady is raw meaning he has a lot of room for growth and potential

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
NCAA means he doesn't get his signing bonus yet.
CHL means he gets his signing bonus, gets paid for the time he is with the Sens, gets CHL benefits (including his education later will be paid for, should he want to go back after his hockey career is over.) He can start in the bigs, go play in the worlds, win a cup with London then come back up after the playoffs if Ottawa is still around. More options.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm a little surprised the rumor is that he's going to London, wouldn't his ELC slide if he played the entire season in the AHL? Because of his age he might be better suited to play against men.

But it is London and they always have a way of landing high end talent.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Now all the pundits about him waiting to re enter the draft/sign elsewhere can shut up. People rag on the sens orginzation for all the upcoming turnover in player personal, and point at that as a reason for him to want out before he’s even played. On the contrary, I think if anything it should give him incentive to stick around because he’ll be getting prime ice time to produce sooner than later. Same for his two buds he grew up with in Logan Brown and Colin White. All three are the cornerstone future of Ottawa’s forward group and they know it. On a side note, I’m very excited for Tkachuk run Auston Matthews through the boards multile times a year. Bonus kicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->