Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Also noticed last night how well Stone is skating. He obviously worked hard during the lockdown. He get's around the ice very sell for such a huge guy and is a beast on the back check.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
As happy as I am with the energy and physicality he brings up, I want to temper my expectations of him. I don't think he'll be an elite point producer, but a solid top 6 guy who's first line due to the space he creates. I just hope he refines his skating and hitting so that he doesn't injure himself. Dude is a cannonball but might end up injuring himself in the process of destroying others via forecheck.

I definitely want more from him before looking at him as a captain. Right now for me its hands down Chabot and unless BT starts revealing an inner Alfie, definitely don't even want an A anywhere near him (or anyone that hasn't earned it)

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
As happy as I am with the energy and physicality he brings up, I want to temper my expectations of him. I don't think he'll be an elite point producer, but a solid top 6 guy who's first line due to the space he creates.
I don’t think consistent 30-30 seasons are unrealistic for him. Maybe not elite numbers but combined with his other tools it would make him one of the most complete players on any team in the league.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I definitely want more from him before looking at him as a captain. Right now for me its hands down Chabot and unless BT starts revealing an inner Alfie, definitely don't even want an A anywhere near him (or anyone that hasn't earned it)

You are going to be disappointed if you don't even want an A near him. He already had an A last year after Pageau was gone and Boro was injured.

He definitely earned it already.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Cornerstone is what way though?

Building a team around him and having him as your best player? That'd be painful.
Not really. You may be substantially undervaluing him. A lot of underlying stats support that he is on track to be an elite level player. He may end up being a lot like his dad. But the key thing is that he is well recognized for his leadership skills and has the makings to be a phenomenal captain. Him being a cornerstone would mean that he would be the captain of the team and would represent the style of play the organization is going for. Building a team to play a Tkachuk style of hockey would be a great thing and would increase the chances of succeeding in the playoffs and winning the Stanley Cup.

There will still need to be other skilled players on the team and they have that with some of their prospects, young players and the players they will get in this draft. Also "best player" is a subjective term. Some see "best player" as the most skilled player on the team, others see "best player" as the most championship caliber player who is clutch and has an undying will to win. Alfie was a good example of that, he was the captain of the Sens and there were more skilled players on the team. A cornerstone of an organization should be a leader with high compete level and does a lot of the things that others players are capable of. doing. They lead by example and give their all shift by shift and game by game. They play a 200 foot game and win puck and positional battles. They will try to will a win and drag a team into a game if need be. Tkachuk is that guy.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dorion has been right a lot. The “Anti Dorion Hive Mind” on this forum is about 10x more incorrect than they claim PD to be.

For a guy who is handcuffed financially in Ottberia he has made some great decisions, while taking criticism for most of them.

I'm glad to see that people are finally seeing the light.

As usual, I'm right again.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hopefully they start contract talks with Brady as soon as the draft is done.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If PD thinks that Brady is the cornerstone, I have an issue simply because he's to us what someone like Bo Horvat is to the Nucks. Sure he can be a leader and all the other nice intangibles, but if we don't have our Hughes and Pettersson, no point in having him in the 1st place. We have our Hughes in Chabot, but we need a forward that can carry us. Without that, players like Tkachuk are wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If PD thinks that Brady is the cornerstone, I have an issue simply because he's to us what someone like Bo Horvat is to the Nucks. Sure he can be a leader and all the other nice intangibles, but if we don't have our Hughes and Pettersson, no point in having him in the 1st place. We have our Hughes in Chabot, but we need a forward that can carry us. Without that, players like Tkachuk are wasted.

We had a couple.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

There's an argument to be made (circa 2000 to 2007 or so) that without players like Tkachuk, we wasted players like Spezza, Hossa/Heatley, Alfredsson, ect.

Tkachuk will never likely be the best player on a SC champion team, but the impact he has is certainly of immense importance.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
There's an argument to be made (circa 2000 to 2007 or so) that without players like Tkachuk, we wasted players like Spezza, Hossa/Heatley, Alfredsson, ect.

Tkachuk will never likely be the best player on a SC champion team, but the impact he has is certainly of immense importance.

I mean, the team had Mike Fisher for that entire decade, and he certainly fits that mold.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I mean, the team had Mike Fisher for that entire decade, and he certainly fits that mold.

Fisher was feisty and intense, but he played a very different style from Tkachuk. Fisher was not a stand-infront-of-the-net and cause havoc kind of player the way Tkachuk is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Hopefully we'll get at least one of those cornerstones at the draft this year. But I see what you mean...hockey really is the sum of all parts. Even McDavid can't do it by himself. Hell, Gretzky had an all star team with him in Edmonton.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

Brady is our J.T. Miller.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Anyone else really worried about his contract situation? If his dad's involvement in his career and his brother's contract negotiations are any indication, this will likely go down to the wire. If he touches RFA, I can see some bonus-laden offersheets coming his way.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone else really worried about his contract situation? If his dad's involvement in his career and his brother's contract negotiations are any indication, this will likely go down to the wire. If he touches RFA, I can see some bonus-laden offersheets coming his way.
Not worried at all. Offersheets just don’t happen, and people were worried about that with Chabot too. And in this climate, many teams will be looking to spend less money than normal or than what was planned

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not worried at all. Offersheets just don’t happen, and people were worried about that with Chabot too. And in this climate, many teams will be looking to spend less money than normal or than what was planned
they especially don't happen if the player is signed to an extension prior to being eligible to recieve an offer sheet

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I'm a little bit worried, personally.

If you haven't seen their interview on Spittin chicklets, it's really interesting:

Their dad is definitely involved, and they seem pretty money driven. I fully expect them to not take Melnyk's bullshit and drive a hard bargain.

Reactions: otown and bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad