Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He needs to hold on and skate with the puck more

Hes a suprisingly good passer but he seems to always try to find dish it off to a teammate to make a play instead of skating it down the ice and opening things up for better shot/options

Isn't that typical of most rookies though? That's how kids progress - they get more used to the speed and understand when they have time to make those extra plays.

For someone with, "limited skill" who is stepping into the league as a teenager I think he is showing he will develop in to a very good and impactful player.

I am sick to death that we have to suffer through this year with no excitement about potentially having the 1st overall pick (or just an early pick period) but there is nothing to do about it now.

At this stage I am seriously hoping we are garbage again next year (if we don't sign our FA it is guaranteed) and that the Sharks miss the post season as well and perhaps we luck out and get 2 early picks in 2020 which could be huge as there are a lot of great looking options there too.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I disagree with that. He isn't a franchise skilled player but scoring 65 points while providing remarkable grit, leadership, and in your face ability, that's franchise.

I view him as a bigger and more skilled Gallagher, which every team dreams of and needs to win a cup. He is unconventional type of franchise, borderline. His skill alone doesnt make him close lol more like a great top liner but like Stone, it's the other elements to his game that make him a can't miss.

Don't throw the franchise player label around like that. Be a fan, but don't go overboard. Tkachuk is not a franchise player, nor he will ever be.

McDavid and Crosby are Franchise players. Tkachuk is 5 levels below them, get real! A lot of players bring toughness, leadership etc etc, doesn't make them franchise players

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Hot take Q.

Who here would trade Tkachuk to Colorado right now for our 1st round pick returned?

On paper yes, but that's not really a trade we could make in real life. Way too many implications given the fan base is already attached to Brady Tkachuk. I also think given the tough times ahead, it will be important for this franchise to have a captain who can handle the turbulence caused by our unstable ownership. If Stone and Duchene leave, Tkachuk might be captain as soon as next year.

If we did do that kind of trade, we can manufacture our own demise and ensure we finish last. That's the important part of it.

The only reason not to make the trade would be if we weren't confident that we could craft our lineup in such a way to ensure we'd finish last place.

If I recall that gives us a 40 percent shot at Hughes or Kakko, a 20 percent shot at the 3rd overall, and a 40 percent shot at the 4th overall.

So it's a 40 percent shot at a big upgrade. If you "lose" the trade, you still end up with a comparable player at 3 or 4. Maybe better, maybe worse.

Keeping the Tkachuk pick was the right move if we weren't going to manufacture a tank by trading Stone and Duchene early on. I don't want to go into analyzing whether we should have just traded Stone and Duchene in the summer, or conspiracy theories about why we kept them despite a supposed inability to offer them the right "structure". So I'll just leave it at if we weren't going to manufacture a tank, keeping Tkachuk was right at the time.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I disagree with that. He isn't a franchise skilled player but scoring 65 points while providing remarkable grit, leadership, and in your face ability, that's franchise.

I view him as a bigger and more skilled Gallagher, which every team dreams of and needs to win a cup. He is unconventional type of franchise, borderline. His skill alone doesnt make him close lol more like a great top liner but like Stone, it's the other elements to his game that make him a can't miss.
That's not a franchise player at all, even remotely.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Don't throw the franchise player label around like that. Be a fan, but don't go overboard. Tkachuk is not a franchise player, nor he will ever be.

McDavid and Crosby are Franchise players. Tkachuk is 5 levels below them, get real! A lot of players bring toughness, leadership etc etc, doesn't make them franchise players

The term you looking for is generational. That's a couple tiers above franchise.

Franchise means you build your franchise around them and they are vital to your team's success for 10+ years, normally translating into great team success. Doesn't necessarily always translate to points. You're knowledge is lacking in the definition and distinguishing of the two terms.

Toews never scored more than 76 points in a full-season. In fact, it was his only season he cracked 70 yet he's easily franchise worthy, and was a top 5 C for many, many years.

Bergeron, aside from past 2 years, hasn't cracked over 68 points since the high-scoring era. Yet he is easily franchise. Yes, they are elite defensively too, but I find Tkachuk elite in his ability to combine near the top of league physical play, with top line offensive capability, and while being a team leader/performing in the clutch.

I merely said Tkachuk can become borderline, UNCONVENTIONAL(because of the state this franchise is in) franchise type player because of his impact on and off the ice for this team. You're inability to digest that element made you go haywire. I'd argue that any other prospect, no matter how skilled, in the situation that Tkachuk's in, an a toxic environment like Ottawa with horrible defense and blah blah blah, they would not be doing as good as Brady, maybe scoring a bit more points, but nothing like the impact he's had overall in their rookie year thus far.

There's a reason why our teammates called Tom Pyatt "Mr. Franchise" cause they joked about Boucher using him in important moments and relying on him a lot. I DEFINITELY see that happening to Tkachuk. I just hope it doesn't stagnate his offensive ability. Mind you, my idea of unconventional, borderline, franchise label for him is scoring 65+ points for multiple seasons while being near the top of the league in hits, being an elite force around the net and responsible throughout the ice while performing high ability and elevating his game in the clutch.

Last edited:

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
The term you looking for is generational. That's a couple tiers above franchise.
, before w
Franchise means you build your franchise around them and they are vital to your team's success for 10+ years, normally translating into great team success. Doesn't necessarily always translate to points. You're knowledge is lacking in the definition and distinguishing of the two terms.

Toews never scored more than 76 points in a full-season. In fact, it was his only season he cracked 70 yet he's easily franchise worthy, and was a top 5 C for many, many years.

Bergeron, aside from past 2 years, hasn't cracked over 68 points since the high-scoring era. Yet he is easily franchise. Yes, they are elite defensively too, but I find Tkachuk elite in his ability to combine near the top of league physical play, with top line offensive capability, and while being a team leader/performing in the clutch.

I merely said Tkachuk can become borderline, UNCONVENTIONAL(because of the state this franchise is in) franchise type player because of his impact on and off the ice for this team. You're inability to digest that element made you go haywire. I'd argue that any other prospect, no matter how skilled, in the situation that Tkachuk's in, an a toxic environment like Ottawa with horrible defense and blah blah blah, they would not be doing as good as Brady, maybe scoring a bit more points, but nothing like the impact he's had overall in their rookie year thus far.

There's a reason why our teammates called Tom Pyatt "Mr. Franchise" cause they joked about Boucher using him in important moments and relying on him a lot. I DEFINITELY see that happening to Tkachuk. I just hope it doesn't stagnate his offensive ability. Mind you, my idea of unconventional, borderline, franchise label for him is scoring 65+ points for multiple seasons while being near the top of the league in hits, being an elite force around the net and responsible throughout the ice while performing high ability and elevating his game in the clutch.

No matter how you put it or what translation you give it. Tkachuk is not a franchise player, not even close. Let him be a great player first.

Toews and Bergeron are elite players, and since they are both centers, sometimes they are mistaken to be franchise players. You can make a case for Toews, but Bergeron is not a franchise player. More importantly, I have no idea why you even think Tkachuk belongs in the same sentence with those two.

If Tkachuk is the type of talent you want as a center piece to build a franchise around, then you'd be the perfect assistant general manager to our current GM

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I think we're asking a heck of a lot to expect 65 points out of Brady. That's better than Stone's career high (to date).

Stone scoring 65 points means more since he can actually carry his own line, despite whoever you put on his line. He instantly makes everyone better and that is worth more than scoring 15 point more a season

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
No matter how you put it or what translation you give it. Tkachuk is not a franchise player, not even close. Let him be a great player first.

Toews and Bergeron are elite players, and since they are both centers, sometimes they are mistaken to be franchise players. You can make a case for Toews, but Bergeron is not a franchise player. More importantly, I have no idea why you even think Tkachuk belongs in the same sentence with those two.

If Tkachuk is the type of talent you want as a center piece to build a franchise around, then you'd be the perfect assistant general manager to our current GM
I would not compare Bergeron and Tkachuk, but Bergeron is a franchise player in my mind. He’s the best two way player in the last decade and a top 10-15 player in the sport, in my opinion. Tkachuk I think will end up exactly like his brother but with more physicality; Not franchise level but I do think his upside is near elite or very good...We are only seeing glimpses of what he can do, he’s so young and has a high ceiling.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Who knows, he definitely has a much, much better chance. Most scouts believe he is, and his play has done nothing but back that up.
Said it before, and I will say it again. Giving Hughes to Colorado will be a death blow for this team. You can't come back from that.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hot take Q.

Who here would trade Tkachuk to Colorado right now for our 1st round pick returned?

Right now, there's only an 18.5 % chance that Colorado's pick would win the Lottery for first over all.

16.5% for 2nd, 14.5% for 3rd.

The best odds are at 50.6% for 4th over all.

So no, a Tkachuk in the hand, is worth more than those odds.

Besides, I believe that Ottawa will finish ahead of a few teams that appear to be activly tanking, while Ottawa will not, and that drops Colorado's odds of winning the lottery dramatically ....9.5% 1st, 9.6% 2nd and 9.7% 3rd.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I like Brady's start of over a point per game. The lack of offence since is concerning, but most likely due to being a teenager in the NHL.

I think this talk of franchise vs elite player is semantics. Both are great, clearly he has potential.

I think for a maturing hockey team he is a good fit, seems to have a good head on his shoulders. But if Colorado gets a superstar with the our ex-first pick there will be no end to the backlash. Duchene better have stayed and\or returned us a star in the same draft for people to be at least cooler.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Right now, there's only an 18.5 % chance that Colorado's pick would win the Lottery for first over all.

16.5% for 2nd, 14.5% for 3rd.

The best odds are at 50.6% for 4th over all.

So no, a Tkachuk in the hand, is worth more than those odds.

Besides, I believe that Ottawa will finish ahead of a few teams that appear to be activly tanking, while Ottawa will not, and that drops Colorado's odds of winning the lottery dramatically ....9.5% 1st, 9.6% 2nd and 9.7% 3rd.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'd take those odds. That's 1 in 5 chance. Pretty good if you were gambling on anything. And we are actively tanking, by looking to move Duchene, Dzingel, and likely Stone as well. In fact, we are doing a more effective job tanking than any other team in the league lmao.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Said it before, and I will say it again. Giving Hughes to Colorado will be a death blow for this team. You can't come back from that.
We never had Hughes. So it would be impossible to give him to Colorado.
The only sane option at the time was to pick Brady

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
We never had Hughes. So it would be impossible to give him to Colorado.
The only sane option at the time was to pick Brady
Hypothetically if Hughes goes to Colorado. That's what I meant. Brady is a great player. But I would argue that it is "insane" to not defer the pick to Colorado, when you know full well that you intended to trade your best player.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Is Hughes still viewed as this completely can't miss guy? I feel like the hype had him in the Matthews/Eichel tier, but when I watch him he looks more like an RNH/Hischier type. That's not to say I see him falling out of the top-two of the draft, just that I don't see him as a generational type of player.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Can’t come back from that eh? Well geez let’s all pray that doesn’t happen. Damn Hughes.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is Hughes still viewed as this completely can't miss guy? I feel like the hype had him in the Matthews/Eichel tier, but when I watch him he looks more like an RNH/Hischier type. That's not to say I see him falling out of the top-two of the draft, just that I don't see him as a generational type of player.
Still the easy consensus 1st, and then right after him you have Kakko who looks to be one of the best wingers of the past decade or so.

The top 2 picks have franchise type guys, and then guys who I'd slide into the Tkachuk tier (whom I like better, but can understand others not agreeing).

I, personally, take the chance on the franchise guys, and even if you pick outside that get a guy I'd have been very comfortable selecting at #4 last year

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Still the easy consensus 1st, and then right after him you have Kakko who looks to be one of the best wingers of the past decade or so.

Yeah, but I mean more in comparison to other drafts (specifically other top-2 picks). There was so much hype around him and I feel like he's disappointed this season (not in relation to his peers, just in relation to the hype that had him in the Eichel/Matthews tier).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, but I mean more in comparison to other drafts (specifically other top-2 picks). There was so much hype around him and I feel like he's disappointed this season (not in relation to his peers, just in relation to the hype that had him in the Eichel/Matthews tier).

I'm not too worried about him not becoming a franchise guy, his IQ, skating, vision and skills are out of this world.

Only guy taken 2nd in the past decade I have to think about taking over him is Eichel.

Reactions: stempniaksen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->