Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tkachuk has been struggling a bit lately TBH - not quite having the impact he did earlier. He's a 19 year old kid still finding his way in the league and you knew that there would be stretches like this, but his play lately is mirroring the team's dive...

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Tkachuk has been struggling a bit lately TBH - not quite having the impact he did earlier. He's a 19 year old kid still finding his way in the league and you knew that there would be stretches like this, but his play lately is mirroring the team's dive...

He just lacks skill. Smart gritty player but the skill is limited, unless it just hasn't shown yet.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
He just lacks skill. Smart gritty player but the skill is limited, unless it just hasn't shown yet.
he doesn't have the elite skill you expect from a top 5 pick but i think he's easily above average. His passing is definitely a surprise to me.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The kid doesn't lack skill at all. He isn't Elias Pettersson by any means, his game isn't about deception. It's about brute force and smarts, give him time to get a bit stronger. Right now he isn't all that strong on his skates, a good off season and he should be able to shield off defenders a bit better and create room to make plays.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The kid doesn't lack skill at all. He isn't Elias Pettersson by any means, his game isn't about deception. It's about brute force and smarts, give him time to get a bit stronger. Right now he isn't all that strong on his skates, a good off season and he should be able to shield off defenders a bit better and create room to make plays.

I agree .. I think his biggest strength is down low in the Ozone, in front of and around the net.. He has shown skill, iq, vision , and physical strength. I think his Dzone play has been average and improving. His on the rush skills could be better; IE passing , taking and giving, and reading the play. I think he has the IQ, and tools to develop all those areas

Reactions: Tundraman

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Tkachuk has skill, give him time. It took his older brother until his 3rd year in the league to start showing his high end skill. I wouldn't be surprised if Brady is on the same trajectory. Its so rare for a 19 year old to step into the league and put up points right away. He's already good but will get a lot better.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tkachuk has more goals and points in the NHL then Zadina has in the AHL

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
He's been snakebitten lately, still getting 2-3 good scoring chances a game but they're not going in the way they were earlier in the year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think he’s actually playing a bit better. His play below the goalline has been fantastic. A lot of the plays he makes don’t get finished off. If like half of them did he would have an extra 4 points over the last 6-7 games

Reactions: Roth Fire

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hot take Q.

Who here would trade Tkachuk to Colorado right now for our 1st round pick returned?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hot take Q.

Who here would trade Tkachuk to Colorado right now for our 1st round pick returned?
I Would, but I absolutely love Cozens and Dach if we picked 4th. Huge #1 Centers, sign me up.

Obviously I'd rather Kakko and Hughes.

Tkachuk and this pick would be delightful.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Tkachuk is not a franchise player...nor do I expect him to.

He will be a high end player at what he does (down low play etc) and I’m happy with that. He will consistently contribute points throughout his career and that’s all you can ask of a player like that.

I’m happy with his season so far.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hot take Q.

Me, in an instant.
Jack Hughes or Kakko? Sign me up. Hughes or Kakko? Hughes fills in for the departing Duchene, Kakko replaces Tkachuk with less facepunching and non-hockey activities (slashing, standing in front of a goalie, etc.) with potential sweet perimeter play. Tkachuk gets lost in Colorado where no one is pumping his tires, we win this hands down.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tkachuk is not a franchise player...nor do I expect him to.

I disagree with that. He isn't a franchise skilled player but scoring 65 points while providing remarkable grit, leadership, and in your face ability, that's franchise.

I view him as a bigger and more skilled Gallagher, which every team dreams of and needs to win a cup. He is unconventional type of franchise, borderline. His skill alone doesnt make him close lol more like a great top liner but like Stone, it's the other elements to his game that make him a can't miss.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
He needs to hold on and skate with the puck more

Hes a suprisingly good passer but he seems to always try to find dish it off to a teammate to make a play instead of skating it down the ice and opening things up for better shot/options

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I disagree with that. He isn't a franchise skilled player but scoring 65 points while providing remarkable grit, leadership, and in your face ability, that's franchise.

I view him as a bigger and more skilled Gallagher, which every team dreams of and needs to win a cup. He is unconventional type of franchise, borderline. His skill alone doesnt make him close lol more like a great top liner but like Stone, it's the other elements to his game that make him a can't miss.
You’re correct.....I was ferrying more to the point he isn’t gonna be the franchise type guy who carries a team to victory with his offensive production etc.

Should have worded it better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad