Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why is this so complicated? A grade 1 mcl tear is usually a month recovery.
He said its not his knee .. No surgery for an MCL tear? I am not trying to make it complicated. Grade 1 sprain is mild damage to the ligament.. Grade 3 is a complete tear. Grade 2 is a partial tear. Usually you don't call a grade 1 a tear its more of a stretch.

Sprained Ankle - OrthoInfo - AAOS
Grades of Ankle Sprains

After the examination, your doctor will determine the grade of your sprain to help develop a treatment plan. Sprains are graded based on how much damage has occurred to the ligaments.
Grade 1 Sprain (Mild)

• Slight stretching and microscopic tearing of the ligament fibers
  • Mild tenderness and swelling around the ankle
Grade 2 Sprain (Moderate)

• Partial tearing of the ligament
  • Moderate tenderness and swelling around the ankle
  • If the doctor moves the ankle in certain ways, there is an abnormal looseness of the ankle joint
Grade 3 Sprain (Severe)

• Complete tear of the ligament
  • Significant tenderness and swelling around the ankle
  • If the doctor pulls or pushes on the ankle joint in certain movements, substantial instability occurs
*8 My impression must have been dated because according to the interweb now, partial tears and even complete tears (ankle) can heal on their own if immobilized... Learn something new everyday; hopefully

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
djb arent you in the medical field? I rmr from your sportsnet forum days :)

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I tore my MCL right out of the bone with a suspected avulsion fracture. No surgery required.

It doesn't take much to injure either. I turned sharply and caught a rut.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
djb arent you in the medical field? I rmr from your sportsnet forum days :)

Yes! And still am. :)

Still work as a paramedic for the city.

@Sens of Anarchy

To me from the video it still looks like a knee but i suppose it could be an ankle. Either way a grade 1 for either is about a month.

However if its the PCL in Brady's knee and not the MCL or LCL they are sometimes tricky and can take longer. But to me in the video the impact is to the side of his knee so likely MCL OR LCL. I also doubt its his ACL because his knee doesnt appear flexed that way

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I tore my MCL right out of the bone with a suspected avulsion fracture. No surgery required.

It doesn't take much to injure either. I turned sharply and caught a rut.

Was that recent within last couple years? I know that they are now often not doing surgery on some mcl.

And when they do acl, its no more casts and laying in bed. They get you up walking within 4 hours post surgery

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

@Sens of Anarchy

To me from the video it still looks like a knee but i suppose it could be an ankle. Either way a grade 1 for either is about a month.

However if its the PCL in Brady's knee and not the MCL or LCL they are sometimes tricky and can take longer. But to me in the video the impact is to the side of his knee so likely MCL OR LCL. I also doubt its his ACL because his knee doesnt appear flexed that way
niceee its crazy how time flies that was like 10 years ago!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

@Sens of Anarchy

Could be his knee.. I thought ankle because I remember him on the bench when the trainer was talking to him.. I wish I had a gif but don't .. and I got the impression he was indicating lower on his leg but it was not easy to tell. In my limited knowledge of the anatomy, I am not aware of lower leg ligaments that are not involved with the knee or the ankle. Lets hope it heals up well.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Hey np; Maybe it is his knee; I thought I had read it was not...Thanks for the info sounds like you definitely know more than I do about it.

Boucher said tear in his interview; and he said its not the knee... so I guess more info to follow.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...-about-a-month-with-a-torn-ligament-1.1193276

That does kinda look like a toe stuck in a rut then twist.
But dammit. I don't think they're allowed to reassign him while he's injured, which means I think we lose the ability to send him down after 9 (sure he is playing well but why waste a year of his elc on this season).

Same thing with Formenton.

Kids should not be playing in the NHL at 18 because anecdotally I find that they all end up with anywhere from a quarter to half a season missed due to a single injury in at least one of their seasons before they turn 20. Their bodies just aren't developed enough yet to handle the NHL.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
But dammit. I don't think they're allowed to reassign him while he's injured, which means I think we lose the ability to send him down after 9 (sure he is playing well but why waste a year of his elc on this season).

Kids should not be playing in the NHL at 18 because anecdotally I find that they all end up with anywhere from a quarter to half a season missed due to a single injury in at least one of their seasons before they turn 20. Their bodies just aren't developed enough yet to handle the NHL.

We definitely can't send him down while injured, but I fail to see how that stops us from sending him down at the 9 game mark. The 9 games is for games that Brady plays in, not games the team plays while he's on IR. There's nothing stopping the team from playing BT for 4-5 games when he gets back from injury and then sending him down at that point. Honestly, that lines him up fairly close to the WJC, so maybe he sticks around until then before getting sent back for the year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think they have to play 10 games for the ELC not to slide. I am not sure how injury or being unable to play due to injury impacts that.
"
What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player."
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I have a hard time thinking the Sens will send Tkachuk down unless the team knows in a month from now they aren't making the playoffs. He's the third best forward right now.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I haven't looked at the CBA in a while, and usually when there's a games played requirement, there's also a days on roster equivalent provided too. Just so you couldn't keep a player for practices but not dress them and still slide their contract or whatever. If it's straight games played and nothing else, then hopefully that happens.

He comes back gets the last few games in and returns to London in time to participate in the WJC.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I haven't looked at the CBA in a while, and usually when there's a games played requirement, there's also a days on roster equivalent provided too. Just so you couldn't keep a player for practices but not dress them and still slide their contract or whatever. If it's straight games played and nothing else, then hopefully that happens.

He comes back gets the last few games in and returns to London in time to participate in the WJC.

I guess it could have changed, but this is exactly what St-Louis did with Pietrangelo for his first season. He ended up scratched for roughly a third of the games while he practiced with the team. He was eventually sent back around Christmas time to play in the WJHC and then played out the rest of the year with Niagara.

I thought it happened with Luca Sbisa and Mirco Mueller too, but upon further inspection it seems they played over 9 (but under 40, so that they don't reach UFA status a year early).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have a hard time thinking the Sens will send Tkachuk down unless the team knows in a month from now they aren't making the playoffs. He's the third best forward right now.

I think Tkachuk has proven he is NHL ready. His game has a considerable physical element and for sure he could use a little more strength to be more dominant but he looks ready to me. Formenton.. different story even though he has shown high end NHL speed. He can get quite a bit stronger and he can work on his offensive skills.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Tierney has been better overall imo, but yeah he’s here for the season. Hopefully Dzingel comes back soon we need him.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Was that recent within last couple years? I know that they are now often not doing surgery on some mcl.

And when they do acl, its no more casts and laying in bed. They get you up walking within 4 hours post surgery
I think it was 4 years ago. No more than that. Physio didn’t help at all so I went to an RMT and it was like magic. Combined with strength training it was back to 100% in short order.
But even little things like being more mindful of posture and not letting my foot arch go flat actually made a big difference in pain/recovery.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Oh man that sucks!!!!!! Just as this team was gaining momentum, we lose Tkachuk for a month, this team has no luck whatsoever!!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Fudge
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mendes-tkachuk-injury-comes-at-an-awful-time-for-ottawa~1516191

I wondered this as well.. No surgery required apparently... From what I understand tears do not fix themselves

If it's a partial tear then yes it can heal on it's own and would be the best thing.

He bounced back pretty good that game so while he might have done a bit more damage I cant see him having completely torn it and continue to play.

Scored the GWG on 1 leg...

Guess this also closes the door on the discussion of where he should have played...no way he gets injured in junior.

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad