Value of: Brady Skjei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OP is off base.
Theoretically, at some pt we hope to have enough LD prospects = NHLers.
Whether or not we gamble and move him now would depend on what is on the table, and it MUST be SUBSTANTIAL.

If a superb offer does not pop up, we keep him until one does.
He is not a negative.

A higher pick might not be had atm, but a strategic add in a package might work.

Skjei, Buchnevich, NYR 2019 3rd + 5th
for
Boqvist, CBH 2019 and 2020 2nds + cap dump

something like that

Hawks have Jokiharju more ready now, and can hold off Boqvist, while NY can wait. Rangers get a super blue RD prospect with upside, Chicago gets solid block for its LD who is a known commodity, good $ and term, while Buch helps this year, and is elc now and rfa later

So typically no to moving Skjei now, but it is possible.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Brent Seabrook exists. So does Zach Parise. Carey Price's contract is awful...
Price is an over paid starting goalie and Parise likely still slots in as a top 6 forward. Seabrook is probably closest in terms of a bad contract. The fact remains, if Lucic is traded, you aren't getting Skjei or any young player that is going to be any sort of upgrade......you might get a Seabrook, a bad contract and/or you'll be paying to move Lucic.

The term negative value is thrown around on this forum from time to time, I'd say a combination of factors here give Lucic negative value. I'm not saying he is terrible but his salary, term and return(what he provides and where he slots in) decrease his value so drastically that any return you get in trade has to be measured as addition by subtraction. I can see him having a decent year but I think for the remainder of his contract there will be more bad seasons than good ones.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
OP is off base.
Whether or not we gamble and move him now would depend on what is on the table, and it MUST be SUBSTANTIAL.

He is not a negative.

A higher pick might not be had atm, but a strategic add in a package might work.

for

something like that

Hawks have Jokiharju more ready now, and can hold off Boqvist, while NY can wait. Rangers get a super blue RD prospect with upside, Chicago gets solid block for its LD who is a known commodity, good $ and term, while Buch helps this year, and is elc now and rfa later

This is awful for the Rangers Berns.
Buchnevich is about as untouchable a player on the Rangers as there is. Moving him and Skjei together whom are likely the best young players in the system right now at their positions, is silliness and suicide for their success moving forward.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
OP is off base.

He is not a negative.

for

something like that

That is substantial?? That is a brutal trade. But yes, I am all for getting substantial return. either 2 later 1st rounders or a top 10 draft pick.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No interest in moving him right now. All of the people proposed as being better or taking his minutes are very obviously worse an totally incapable of playing those minutes.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
No interest in moving him right now. All of the people proposed as being better or taking his minutes are very obviously worse an totally incapable of playing those minutes.

We will see soon. But even if I am wrong and he is still very good, it might make sense to trade him for a top 10 pick at the draft of use him in a package to go after a top 3 pick if Rangers don't win the lottery picks.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I think this post is a fine example of psychological warfare. An enemy agent, such as a Flyers or Devils fan (Go Devils!), has infiltrated the Rangers fan base and has taken upon him or her the task of making said fan base look silly, therefore weakening the fan base from within. Such tactics are both devious and brilliant and I applaud your efforts.

That being said, Skjei is a solid top 4 at worst who is cost controlled for a bit. That has a lot of value. Trade him for a similar player who fills another need on your team, such as a LHD to fill the gaping hole losing Skjei will create.
We may throw bracelets on the ice during the playoffs/memorials, but we’re not this bad.

Reactions: MakoSlade

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is awful for the Rangers Berns.
Buchnevich is about as untouchable a player on the Rangers as there is. Moving him and Skjei together whom are likely the best young players in the system right now at their positions, is silliness and suicide for their success moving forward.
Just a short reply here.

Buch has that kind of potential, but he is not that yet.
He is worth a 1st +
I discounted that to 2 2nds, b'c
Skjei = great skating D first D
but
Boqvist was a top 10 pick who could be a top 5, AND he is RD on just beginning elc.

Like I said, not a final, just a draft, but
SOMETHING LIKE THAT can be put into a final product.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Boqvist was 8OA if I remember, and he is not a generic 8, he is an RD which is useful, and he has upside.

I was so happy he was taken right before our pick, because I was worried we will take a soft one dimentional undersized Dman with injury issues.

Reactions: Lays

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Just a short reply here.

He is worth a 1st +
but
Boqvist was a top 10 pick who could be a top 5, AND he is RD on just beginning elc.

The issue is that Boqvist is a prospect at this point. You don't send two of your possibly best young players who are actually NHL players, for a prospect that only has hype or potential on his resume. If you argue that Buch has potential, that is all I see in Boqvist at the moment. Buch/Skjei both have a couple of seasons of NHL games under their belts.

Buch is the real deal, we haven't had a truly dynamic forward(homegrown) like him in a while. Skjei is the best LHD we have, this is way too much, I wouldn't take 2nd rd picks here. I am not sure I would consider one of them for Boqvist at this point. He isn't Dahlen.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Just a short reply here.

He is worth a 1st +
but

Still brutal. each of Skjei and Buchnevich are worth around a 5th overall pick.

A guy that was picked 8th overall last draft is no longer worth 8th overall, because at 8th overall teams had a choice who to go with, not everybody wanted this specific guy. Then it absolutely makes no sense for Rangers to trade Buchnevich. Skjei I can see the reasoning, but Buchnevich we have almost no wing prospects and he is our top RW about to have a monster season.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

A guy that was picked 8th overall last draft is no longer worth 8th overall, because at 8th overall teams had a choice who to go with, not everybody wanted this specific guy. Then it absolutely makes no sense for Rangers to trade Buchnevich. Skjei I can see the reasoning, but Buchnevich we have almost no wing prospects and he is our top RW about to have a monster season.
Buchnevich/Skjei aren’t worth a #5 pick (yet?)
Eventually, I’d be open to trading Skjei but that’s only if/once Hajek and Miller show they can be legitimate top 4 D’s (they’re definitely on track) but until we get two top 4 LHD, I’m not trading Skjei

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Brent Seabrook exists. So does Zach Parise. Carey Price's contract is awful...

Carey Price when healthy is the best goaltender in the NHL. At least he has some sort of merit to his contract. Parise at the time he signed his deal looked like he could be worth it but has dealt with a lot of injuries.

Seabrook and Lucic however, yikes. Anyone who understood the game direction the game was going in could have told you to stay away.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The issue is that Boqvist is a prospect at this point. You don't send two of your possibly best young players who are actually NHL players, for a prospect that only has hype or potential on his resume. If you argue that Buch has potential, that is all I see in Boqvist at the moment. Buch/Skjei both have a couple of seasons of NHL games under their belts.

Buch is the real deal, we haven't had a truly dynamic forward(homegrown) like him in a while. Skjei is the best LHD we have, this is way too much, I wouldn't take 2nd rd picks here. I am not sure I would consider one of them for Boqvist at this point. He isn't Dahlen.

no arguing the chicago side is unproven.
But if you want a top 5 RD, and you don't pick within top 5, this is the kind of move you make. You gamble on the asset BEFORE it is proven. Once it's proven, the price goes WAY up, or it is unavailable.

I have revised this deal, but I'll post it later this week.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The upside of Boqvist, his elc status, etc, the fact he was rated higher in some boards I believe, are all factors.
Defensively Skjei is = or superior.
Skating, we call it close.
But bo is RD and has offensive skills.
He could be a very very lite EK.
Maybe, maybe not, but you have to pay to take that chance, or otherwise hold the cards you have and play with what you were dealt.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Boqvist was 8OA if I remember, and he is not a generic 8, he is an RD which is useful, and he has upside.

Which recent 8th OA is he better than?

Middlestadt, Werenski, W. Nylander, Risto, Couturier, etc. All better prospects and had strong development curves. Boqvist has to have a good season to show that he's even an average 8th overall so far.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We don't need to trade Skjei.

We need to abandon the prophecy that he's our 1D for the next ten years.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The upside of Boqvist, his elc status, etc, the fact he was rated higher in some boards I believe, are all factors.
Defensively Skjei is = or superior.
Skating, we call it close.
But bo is RD and has offensive skills.
He could be a very very lite EK.
Maybe, maybe not, but you have to pay to take that chance, or otherwise hold the cards you have and play with what you were dealt.

the most I would give up for Boqvist is ADA + lesser prospect

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
no arguing the chicago side is unproven.
But if you want a top 5 RD, and you don't pick within top 5, this is the kind of move you make. You gamble on the asset BEFORE it is proven. Once it's proven, the price goes WAY up, or it is unavailable.

I have revised this deal, but I'll post it later this week.

The price is already at the ceiling.
The problem here is you can't gamble your 23yr old top line offensive player and arguably your top LHD 24yr old for a prospect you hope becomes a top line defender.

A Skjei swap is a little more realistic. Buchnevich in any deal is pretty much out of the question at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad