Player Discussion Brady Skjei

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hard to compare tho Skjei is 24 those guys (staal/Girardi) were older. If Skjei was 27,28,29 years old It would be a bit more risky giving him 7 years. It would be more comparable to Mcdonagh's contract

had my contracts mixed up...staal and girardi both signed long term deals in 2010 when they were similar age and those deals worked out fine. it was the deals in 2015 that was completely moronic

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am fine with a bridge contract. How much would it cost the Rangers in 2 years if Skjei slightly improves? Not enough to where we have to lock him up long term IMO. I don't think he is going to be a guy that is going to be a #1 defenseman and garner that type of contract. If he will sign a very friendly contract long-term, great. But I would be skeptical of giving him a Slavin type contract when he isn't near that level.
Not at Slavin's level or not at the level of a number one defenseman?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If Skjei doesn't improve at all. He is what he was last season. Is a $5m AAV on 7 years a good deal? Does he bring enough offense to justify that number? I understand that we don't need to bridge him, but do we also need to raise his AAV to $5m by buying 4 UFA years?

Could easily see a situation three years from now when the Rangers are "ready" to compete and Brady Skjei is a $5m AAV 2nd pairing d-man we have locked up for four more seasons and everyone on HF starts turning on him.

I understand that we don't want to mistakenly bridge deal a guy that still has room to improve but surely there is some middle-ground between a bridge deal and buying 4 UFA years after two NHL seasons.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think I'd try for 5 or 6 years with Skjei somewhere in the 4.2-4.5M cap hit range.

Contracts that are similar to Gostisbehere, Savard, Tanev, Brodin, Larsson.

If he is unwilling, offer him a bridge, Ceci, Dumba ~2.5-2.8M cap hit two years.

Rangers have leverage to get a team friendly deal since he has 3 RFA years left.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Think I'd rather bridge him. I don't see him ever commanding a huge amount (as in 6-7M+/year) so I don't think it will change the long term cost too much.

Reactions: silverfish

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Think I'd rather bridge him. I don't see him ever commanding a huge amount (as in 6-7M+/year) so I don't think it will change the long term cost too much.

While if it came down to that I'd have no issue, Yet I have a feeling 2nd pair defenders will soon be getting those ~6-7M+/year deals. So if they did get Skjei at like 4.5m for 5-6 years, then the Rangers would at least have a chance to be getting good value should the market for the top pair D go to ~9 - 12M per.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
While if it came down to that I'd have no issue, Yet I have a feeling 2nd pair defenders will soon be getting those ~6-7M+/year deals. So if they did get Skjei at like 4.5m for 5-6 years, then the Rangers would at least have a chance to be getting good value should the market for the top pair D go to ~9 - 12M per.
Exactly this.

1) We have seen more (much) good Skjei than mediocre Skjei.
2) Even if he becomes "only" a rock-solid second pair guy, that is still a very valuable player.
3) The cap has gone up dramatically. In 2013-2014 (the first year of the McDonagh deal) it was $64.3MM. This year we're talking, what, $82MM? The McDonagh contract today would be almost exactly $6MM per year.

If you can get Skjei signed long-term for anything beginning with a 5 you do it. And if you can get him signed long-term for anything beginning with a 4 you do it, snatch the paper away, and run laughing maniacally from the room.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Exactly this.

1) We have seen more (much) good Skjei than mediocre Skjei.
2) Even if he becomes "only" a rock-solid second pair guy, that is still a very valuable player.
3) The cap has gone up dramatically. In 2013-2014 (the first year of the McDonagh deal) it was $64.3MM. This year we're talking, what, $82MM? The McDonagh contract today would be almost exactly $6MM per year.

If you can get Skjei signed long-term for anything beginning with a 5 you do it. And if you can get him signed long-term for anything beginning with a 4 you do it, snatch the paper away, and run laughing maniacally from the room.

Ctrl+F - Skjei
Replace - Smith

HFNYR one year ago.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It's the same conversation, though.
I mean, sure, in the same way that any conversation about either extending a guy for 1-2 years vs. extending him for 6-8 is the same, regardless of age, performance, or contractual status...

C'mon. A 29 year old up-and-down UFA vs. a 24, mostly very good RFA with multiple RFA years remaining? Didn't Larry Brooks block you for pointing out how such a comparison was invalid...? :D

Reactions: UnSandvich

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I mean, sure, in the same way that any conversation about either extending a guy for 1-2 years vs. extending him for 6-8 is the same, regardless of age, performance, or contractual status...

C'mon. A 29 year old up-and-down UFA vs. a 24, mostly very good RFA with multiple RFA years remaining? Didn't Larry Brooks block you for pointing out how such a comparison was invalid...? :D
I'm ignoring the players and looking at the conversation.

A year ago, Smith was a bargain at 4X$4.35m. Now what is he? I'm not singling you out saying you were doing this, but the post you have in this thread is basically everything people were saying about Smith.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Skjei doesn't improve at all. He is what he was last season. Is a $5m AAV on 7 years a good deal? Does he bring enough offense to justify that number? I understand that we don't need to bridge him, but do we also need to raise his AAV to $5m by buying 4 UFA years?

Could easily see a situation three years from now when the Rangers are "ready" to compete and Brady Skjei is a $5m AAV 2nd pairing d-man we have locked up for four more seasons and everyone on HF starts turning on him.

I understand that we don't want to mistakenly bridge deal a guy that still has room to improve but surely there is some middle-ground between a bridge deal and buying 4 UFA years after two NHL seasons.
I really doubt $5M for a 2nd pairing d-man is going to be unusual or unreasonable 3 years from now. I'm not necessarily in the camp of going long term, just saying that I think that'll be reasonable for a 2nd pairing guy by then.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

If the cap continues to increase, 5m might be the norm for 2nd pairing dmen in 2021.

He’ll be 27 year old by then. Unless his play falls off a cliff, he’ll still be a moveable asset imo.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I really doubt $5M for a 2nd pairing d-man is going to be unusual or unreasonable 3 years from now. I'm not necessarily in the camp of going long term, just saying that I think that'll be reasonable for a 2nd pairing guy by then.
Should have read this post first before replying to SF. :thumbu:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You guys.

I understand that the cap will go up and as a % of the cap, $5m AAV next year won't be $5m AAV today.

It always seems to happen that I come into a thread, say one thing without necessarily arguing one way or the other, and then it goes off the rails. Somebody make it stop.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You guys.

I understand that the cap will go up and as a % of the cap, $5m AAV next year won't be $5m AAV today.

It always seems to happen that I come into a thread, say one thing without necessarily arguing one way or the other, and then it goes off the rails. Somebody make it stop.
I don’t see any arguments here. I do see a healthy discussion with valid concerns though on both sides.

Edit: **** that. We’re right. You’re wrong. You don’t know anything about hockey you stat-nerd. :razz:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
See avatar.

Bolded is so true it's annoying. I know absolutely nothing about this game and it's irritating.

And Bern knows nothing about trade values but that doesn’t stop him from creating 17 player swaps. ;)

In all seriousness Im actually a fan of bridge deals. That was something I liked about Sather. I guess it comes down to evaluating a player.

Buchnevich isn’t someone I would like to see locked up at a 7-8 year deal. I see voids in his game and I have my concerns about him. Skjei on the other hand, doesn’t worry me. He has the physical tools. He has the IQ. He’s also a pretty good kid. Very likeable personality.

Watching him and McD train last offseason was a joy.

In most cases you go bridge. Imo, with a guy like Skjei, you take the risk. I think it’s well worth the reward.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd go south of 5M for Skjei if it's a 5 or 6 year deal. I just don't think he has the leverage or comparable contracts that include 3 RFA years to get that sort of deal.

Reactions: TheTakedown

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You guys.

What’s off the rails about this?

It’s just friendly and civil replies on a forum.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Off the rails = me getting annoyed at myself for not making the point I'm trying to make clear enough and getting annoyed that the more I post, the deeper of a hole I dig myself :)
Ah that makes more sense. I thought you meant off the rails with hostile responses or something similar.

I got your point about his contract, it’s a murky situation with him due to him performing very well two years ago and then having a hard year last year while the whole team was kind of falling apart. Hard to say what might be an issue with his development or a team issue that effected him. I think worst case he’s a solid middle pairing guy for years which isn’t all that bad as far as worst cases go, though I get the hesitation to bet on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad