Player Discussion Brady Skjei

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Oh shit. He visits 'Wichcraft frequently? That's like two blocks from work and on the way to my favorite lunch spot.

Time to go out for lunch more often and see if I can catch Skjei/Vesey/Hayes.

...I'm not stalking. SHUT UP.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
how many years does it take a dman to get acclimated to the NHL, usually 3 years right? I'm looking forward to what Skjei brings next year, should be a good bounce back year for him

Reactions: cheech70

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He needs to get away from AV. I have very little doubt he'll be a fine d-man in a system that isn't based on total nonsense.
While that's true, he also needs to stop pretending he's Bobby Orr and I don't think that had anything to do with AV.

He has the tools to be an excellent defensive defenseman.

Reactions: haveandare

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Many people say everyone is on the table for trade purposes for me this is one kid it would take a huge overpayment to trade away!!!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Still not sure if he's a good 2L or an average 1L. Nice problem to have, though. Will be a telling year for him sans-McDonagh. But I do think we're seeing "true" Skjei in terms of his point totals being closer to 30 than the 40 he put up his rookie year. He won't, and shouldn't, get enough PP time to hit 40 as long as Shattenkirk is on the team.

Also, if this team expects Skjei-Pionk to be the future #1 pairing, then this rebuild is dead before it starts.

Bye!

Reactions: Machinehead

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Still not sure if he's a good 2L or an average 1L. Nice problem to have, though. Will be a telling year for him sans-McDonagh. But I do think we're seeing "true" Skjei in terms of his point totals being closer to 30 than the 40 he put up his rookie year. He won't, and shouldn't, get enough PP time to hit 40 as long as Shattenkirk is on the team.

Also, if this team expects Skjei-Pionk to be the future #1 pairing, then this rebuild is dead before it starts.

Bye!
He is certainly capable playing 1L with a very good first pairing dman and this is what this team is hopefully trying to find in this draft. I don't think anyone is expecting Pionk to be that person.
Besides a top franchise center right now its the hardest position to fill. Unless we are willing to lose all of our good young forwards we aren't magically getting an EK. Skjei needs to be here to solidify the future first pairing with hopefully someone like Dobson or Boqvist or even a Bouchard.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I'm very curious what type of contract he's going to get this off-season. I hope they go longer-term instead of a bridge deal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm very curious what type of contract he's going to get this off-season. I hope they go longer-term instead of a bridge deal.

Same here. Bridge deals have hurt us more than they have helped us in the past. McDonagh getting that 7 year deal at 4.7m was great. I want Skjei to get something similar. 7x5m

Reactions: Mac n Gs

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
We don't need the cap space in the next year or two. I'd rather give him a 6-7 year deal right now and pay some extra cap next year to get less in the future. These are the sorts of moves we should be thinking about to have a cap friendly team put together.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I agree that bridging him may burn us. Lock him up for term and a lower-cap hit now, so that this contract only becomes more of a bargain as the cap goes up in the upcoming years. I think a kid like Skjei is worth this risk.

Reactions: bl02

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Bye!

brady's play this year and how he steps up with the opportunity to be 'the man' on the blueline is one of the most important things for the rebuild...not saying he needs to morph into a norris contender, but can he be a first pair guy? he answers a number of questions if he can

and I don't think anyone views pionk as a top pair guy...he has the potential to be part of the long term solution most likely on the 3rd pair, possibly on the 2nd pair but 1st pairing is a bit crazy at this point

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree on not giving a bridge deal.

5x7 is an albatross if 17-18 Skjei is what Skjei will be long term. He's literally never been a 5m/yr player over any sample size worth anything. That's a complete roll of the dice that he just somehow becomes a great player.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I feel the same way about an iffy Skjei contract as I do about an Evander Kane-style Kreider contract: not great, Lundqvist + Shatty + Smith + Staal all expire at the same time, we have to spend money somewhere even if it's not 100% optimal

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I feel the same way about an iffy Skjei contract as I do about an Evander Kane-style Kreider contract: not great, Lundqvist + Shatty + Smith + Staal all expire at the same time, we have to spend money somewhere even if it's not 100% optimal

This is 100% by design. Gorton wants the cap flexibility since it'll open up tons of potential options in the coming years, say Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, or Drew Doughty for example.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I agree that bridging him may burn us. Lock him up for term and a lower-cap hit now, so that this contract only becomes more of a bargain as the cap goes up in the upcoming years. I think a kid like Skjei is worth this risk.
Agreed. Its the "risk" you take and with Skjei I feel its worth it as well. Is he gonna be the 2016-2017 version along with the monster playoffs he had or last years version where he had many hiccups but still finished the season strong?

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I'm just looking at a team like Nashville who signed Josi and Ekholm to long term deals at $4 and $3.75 MM, respectively, a number of years ago now. I'm not saying he's that caliber of player (yet or ever), but I think once McD was traded, we saw the possible potential. $5 million today - or even 7 years from now - will continually be a better deal if he continues his progression path when you think about overall contract prices and the rising cap. He still only turned 24 a couple months ago - I think that's the type of player you take the "risk" on.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I have a ton of confidence in Skjei. He’s one of our most valuable players and he has a ton of more potential to fill. I wouldn’t give him a bridge deal.

8 years. Lock him up till he’s 32 at a friendly contract.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I have a ton of confidence in Skjei. He’s one of our most valuable players and he has a ton of more potential to fill. I wouldn’t give him a bridge deal.

8 years. Lock him up till he’s 32 at a friendly contract.

that is the issue. how do you define a friendly contract? The type of deal that he'd agree to for that long is only going to be a friendly deal for us if he turns out to be the stud top pair guy we hope he will. if he falls short of that it become a horrible contract. so you better be sure he's gonna be that guy

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
that is the issue. how do you define a friendly contract? The type of deal that he'd agree to for that long is only going to be a friendly deal for us if he turns out to be the stud top pair guy we hope he will. if he falls short of that it become a horrible contract. so you better be sure he's gonna be that guy
It's better to look him up long term for cheaper now than bridge him and the have to deal with the massive $$$ on the next contract blows up.

Bridge contracts can hurt more than signing him long term now.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It's better to look him up long term for cheaper now than bridge him and the have to deal with the massive $$$ on the next contract blows up.

Bridge contracts can hurt more than signing him long term now.

it is definitely a gamble either way...a couple years ago we took the gamble to look up our young dmen long term and it worked out great with mcdonagh, beyond horrible with staal and girardi. so risk both was

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
it is definitely a gamble either way...a couple years ago we took the gamble to look up our young dmen long term and it worked out great with mcdonagh, beyond horrible with staal and girardi. so risk both was
Hard to compare tho Skjei is 24 those guys (staal/Girardi) were older. If Skjei was 27,28,29 years old It would be a bit more risky giving him 7 years. It would be more comparable to Mcdonagh's contract

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I am fine with a bridge contract. How much would it cost the Rangers in 2 years if Skjei slightly improves? Not enough to where we have to lock him up long term IMO. I don't think he is going to be a guy that is going to be a #1 defenseman and garner that type of contract. If he will sign a very friendly contract long-term, great. But I would be skeptical of giving him a Slavin type contract when he isn't near that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->