Player Discussion Brady Skjei

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
Hey guys, if it's of any interest, I did a little video work on Brady Skjei here:

Some pros, some cons, and some scribbled lines.

Interesting work, thanks. Major gripe with it though is the fact that you are providing analysis on a player while using footage from one game only. Did he repeat these mistakes every game? Did he improve throughout the year? Regress?

That's probably too much to ask though:D as I know this kind of work would be exhaustive.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Sorry. Sometimes you just have to have a sense of humor about things I guess. I didn't think anyone would really take that comment seriously. :dunno:

i will also say that it looks like you dont really watch the rangers asinine system, particularly with the brad richards diatribe. we play a stupid man to man defense...ive seen our defenseman...ALL our defenseman, regularly do that play...its just.

yeah.

that entire diatribe should be about AVs dumbass system, because he was doing the "right" thing there.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
i will also say that it looks like you dont really watch the rangers asinine system, particularly with the brad richards diatribe. we play a stupid man to man defense...ive seen our defenseman...ALL our defenseman, regularly do that play...its just.

yeah.

that entire diatribe should be about AVs dumbass system, because he was doing the "right" thing there.

After a season of wide open breakdowns with all our players on the ice (good and bad players), I do not understand why this is not our #1 concern.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry. Sometimes you just have to have a sense of humor about things I guess. I didn't think anyone would really take that comment seriously. :dunno:

Maybe because everything before that comment was negative, so taking an unnecessary shot like that at the rookie sounded like you had an ax to grind. You balanced your criticism out after that comment but FLYline probably turned the video off by then.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Thanks for the feedback guys, I do appreciate it. Re: AV's system, I knew that you guys started as a pretty straight man defense. But I thought that stance had softened over time because I have seen McDonagh, Staal and Klein call out and/or execute switches when need be. So I assumed that they got away from this "chase everyone, everywhere" thing. So if that's not the case, then Skjei should have ended up out on the blueline...which has to be an uncomfortable feeling. I actually kind of wish AV would weigh in on that play because I would love to know what his ideal is on that play. I really can't imagine it's have the forward (JT Miller?) down low and Skjei just wandering around at the point...

I would wager that Staal and Girardi wouldn't look as bad if they didn't have to play that game. They aren't great skaters and it's really tough for them to move the puck on their off-side. Well, if nothing else, I guess I'm grasping the "fire AV" undercurrent here...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys, I do appreciate it. Re: AV's system, I knew that you guys started as a pretty straight man defense. But I thought that stance had softened over time because I have seen McDonagh, Staal and Klein call out and/or execute switches when need be. So I assumed that they got away from this "chase everyone, everywhere" thing. So if that's not the case, then Skjei should have ended up out on the blueline...which has to be an uncomfortable feeling. I actually kind of wish AV would weigh in on that play because I would love to know what his ideal is on that play. I really can't imagine it's have the forward (JT Miller?) down low and Skjei just wandering around at the point...

I would wager that Staal and Girardi wouldn't look as bad if they didn't have to play that game. They aren't great skaters and it's really tough for them to move the puck on their off-side. Well, if nothing else, I guess I'm grasping the "fire AV" undercurrent here...

I saw multiple defensemen chase forwards all the way to the blue line and the wrong side of the ice while wings were taking the men in front of the net. I wish we would dump this system.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I saw multiple defensemen chase forwards all the way to the blue line and the wrong side of the ice while wings were taking the men in front of the net. I wish we would dump this system.

Every single game there are plays where our d are at the points and forwwrds are down low. It's so easy to get guys outta position

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Every single game there are plays where our d are at the points and forwwrds are down low. It's so easy to get guys outta position

It's a system that is like the opposite of what players are taught growing up.

KreiderHouseRules*

I'm interested to see what happens with Skjei this season.

If NYR don't trade a LD, they'll start the season with the following:

LD:

McDonagh
Staal
Skjei
Holden
Graves

RD:

Klein
McIlrath
Girardi
Clendening
Paliotta

I think that unless we move a LD, and/or bring in a mobile/offensive RD, there's a strong possibility that Skjei plays the right side with either Staal or McDonagh.

Btw: thanks for the video, Mike Farkas. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think Skjei gets McIlrath/Miller/Kreider treatment and people go ******* and demand AV sacking.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That was a good, in-depth review, but my only gripe is it covers one game. Maybe choose some video from game 5 vs the Pens to highlight the differences in Skjei's game from the end of the regular season to the end of the playoffs?

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
He's the reason Yandle wasn't resigned. The kid is supposed to step in this season and play competent hockey. He won't be on the right, he'll be in his natural position as the third LHD.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Kid is going to be a star, top-pairing D; I see multiple Team USA appearances in his future. Definitely a candidate for future captain of this team as well. Looking forward to seeing him make huge strides this year.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He's the reason Yandle wasn't resigned. The kid is supposed to step in this season and play competent hockey. He won't be on the right, he'll be in his natural position as the third LHD.

Unlike McIlrath, for whatever reason, Skjei already appears to have gained AV's confidence. It would not shock me to see Skjei getting 2nd pairing minutes by season's end.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

i think yandles contract was the reason yandle wasnt resigned.

only way they could fit that in was if they traded away one of the wonder twins.

its not smart to tie up that much cash into your defense.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Unlike McIlrath, for whatever reason, Skjei already appears to have gained AV's confidence. It would not shock me to see Skjei getting 2nd pairing minutes by season's end.

I think it's because Skjei's agile skates line up well with a man defense. Skjei can keep up. McCilrath is not as adept on his skates and can have balance issues, making it a bit more difficult to keep up in AV's system. This is not necessarily a knock on McI...I like McI...but I can see why Skjei is so attractive to AV.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
i think yandles contract was the reason yandle wasnt resigned.

only way they could fit that in was if they traded away one of the wonder twins.

its not smart to tie up that much cash into your defense.

Agree with this in every part. Too much money tied up in D....D that is now difficult to move. Yandle was not affordable.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Figured I'd bump the kid's thread. He's been really good lately and has made some really nice plays with the puck in the offensive zone. He made a nice pinch against Tampa to find a soft spot in coverage that led to a royal road pass and one-timer goal by Grabner.

He made a really nice pass to Vesey last night on the powerplay that sprung the give-and-go with Stepan on Vesey's goal. I wonder if he'll continue to produce now that he's getting second unit PP minutes.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Its early, but so far Skjei has matched Yandle's production.

The likely hood of that continuing is close to 0, but hes been decent.

Realistically, we just need Skjei to replace Yandle 5v5.

He's gotten better every game, which is all you can ask for out of a rookie.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
thing I like about this kid is he has no hesitation skating the puck out of his own zone through traffic ... SO FAR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad