Recalled/Assigned: Brady Skjei

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He played really well in my opinion. Kept is simple, no panic, skated and moved the puck well. Had some hits.

Really would also like to see what McIlrath could do. Lindberg.

I expect the same roster for next game unless injury forces a change.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This kid is VERY impressive. He handled his first NHL playoff game extremely well and make some very tough plays coming out of his end when pressured.

I was so impressed with his play that I almost don't care about how we do in these playoffs (this team is going nowhere this year anyway) and I'm more interested in seeing his progression

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
He had some shaky moments but recovered. I am not saying he will be as good but I do see the comparisons to McD. He is a player for us for sure.

McDonagh was drafted as an offensive defenseman, then spent his youth developing his defense to be on elite level. Then offense magically came along, but that's because the talent was always there, just not the focus. Whether Skjei gets offense is a much bigger question. The rest of their game, however, is very similar and Skjei should otherwise be just as good in all the other areas.

I wish there was any way to keep Yandle and open a spot for Skjei by dumping Staal. Maybe Marc would want to go to the same team that Eric signs with. We can give him away for free just to save the money for Yandle.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
McDonagh was drafted as an offensive defenseman, then spent his youth developing his defense to be on elite level. Then offense magically came along, but that's because the talent was always there, just not the focus. Whether Skjei gets offense is a much bigger question. The rest of their game, however, is very similar and Skjei should otherwise be just as good in all the other areas.

I wish there was any way to keep Yandle and open a spot for Skjei by dumping Staal. Maybe Marc would want to go to the same team that Eric signs with. We can give him away for free just to save the money for Yandle.

Moves like that would open this teams window for several more years.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Moves like that would open this teams window for several more years.

If we could get rid of Staal and Boyle, that's $10.2 off the cap. Give $7 to Yandle, $.9 to Skjei and about a million to another defenseman, and the team reduces the cap hit $2.0-$2.5. Replace Moore with Hrivik and it's another million. With Kreider, Hayes and Miller as RFAs, only Miller should get a significant raise, so the cap hit would actually be lower next year than this year unless we sign a more expensive replacement for Stalberg.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Great wheels man, this kid can FLY and it looks like he has a brain. I think he will be here for a while.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Thought so. Makes more sense now. But should it have been Staal or Girardi who shouldn't have been given a long term deal?

Neither. They could have signed Hunwick short term, and both McIlrath and Skjei could have been brought along this year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Looks very comfortable out there for his second playoff game and first handful of NHL games period. Exciting to see him get up to speed so fast. He's gonna be a good player for NYR IMO.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If we could get rid of Staal and Boyle, that's $10.2 off the cap. Give $7 to Yandle, $.9 to Skjei and about a million to another defenseman, and the team reduces the cap hit $2.0-$2.5. Replace Moore with Hrivik and it's another million. With Kreider, Hayes and Miller as RFAs, only Miller should get a significant raise, so the cap hit would actually be lower next year than this year unless we sign a more expensive replacement for Stalberg.
What I would give to see this happen...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Neither. They could have signed Hunwick short term, and both McIlrath and Skjei could have been brought along this year.

Yep. Klein could have been promoted to Girardis spot, and both Hunwick and Diaz could have been resigned and played on the 3rd pairing. We'd have the same defensive level of play for $2.5M compared to the $11.2M were paying now...

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Yep. Klein could have been promoted to Girardis spot, and both Hunwick and Diaz could have been resigned and played on the 3rd pairing. We'd have the same defensive level of play for $2.5M compared to the $11.2M were paying now...
To be fair, while I think both of them are hurting us with their cap hit right now, (and I never liked Girardi) they were both legitimate 1st pairing defenseman when they were resigned and already had been anchors on the NYR blue line for multiple years. The worst decision we ever made was letting Stralman go after the playoffs he had.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think a lot of the above gushing is wishful thinking for quick replacements for Girardi's collapse, Staal's regression, and the apparent desire to resign Yandle [i.e. moving Marc Staal]. I thought he looked meh... Yes it's his rookie playoffs, and that doesn't mean he won't turn out to be great, but again I think the review of his play has to do more with desire for the future of the Rangers than what was actually witnessed.

"But he wasn't as bad a 10+ year veteran who sacrificed his body his entire career for the team and had just fell apart like an old mattress..."

Wow?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They didn't rush skjei . He's good to go next year . Atleast they likely will have him and buch next year but after that it's what graves and blah in the pipeline ?

Hope Nieves , kovac don't suck and guys like malte work out

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
They didn't rush skjei . He's good to go next year . Atleast they likely will have him and buch next year but after that it's what graves and blah in the pipeline ?

Hope Nieves , kovac don't suck and guys like malte work out

Tambellini may be ready the year after next same with Nieves. Gropp might be too if he turns pro after this season but he may be two years out along with Kovacs.

Team needs 1 to 2 players coming in each year on ELCs in order to retain the main core of the team.

McI and Lindberg this year.
Miller, Fast, Hayes, Kreider in previous years.
Skjei and Buch hopefully next year.
Graves and Tambelini/Gropp the year after.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Skjei is why Staal should not have been given a long term deal.

True but if staal plays like he did last night I can't see with a little creativity some team still trading for him. He does play better in playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad