Brady-Quinnest NHL pick?

Lambert Closse

Mar 6, 2002
2313 Ste-Catherine W
Visit site
Or which former # 1 top NHL prospect fell down on draft day?

I remember in 1990 Mike Ricci dropping to # 4. Then in 1994 Radek Bonk fell to # 3 while being rank # 1 prospect for awhile. A year before he was eligible Daniel Cleary was consider possible #1 for the 1997 draft but dropped to # 13 on draft day. That being said, he was not considered a # 1 on the eve of the draft.

My point is that we get so many "worst draft pick" and "biggest bust" thread that we tend to forget that NHL management make their decison with the information they have on draft day and the can project all they want, they cannot read the future and each team as the same #1 pick.

Drafting Doug Wickenheiser, Alexandre Daigle or Patrik Stefan were not mistakes as any other team given the opportunity would have done the same.

Could it be safe to say that all if not most NHL top prospects are selected in the top 3 while it's not the case in the NFL and NBA.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
it doesn't really happen in the NHL draft because the NFL is so highly specialized in terms of positions and players are expected to come in and make an immediate impact. That means the best player available isn't always the right draft pick for the particular team in question and guys drop, but in the NHL you need to give most guys 2-3 years to develop at least so you don't know where your team will be at that point.

With that said, Kessel dropped to 5 from consensus 1st overall, Patrick O'sullivan's drop because of charector issues though is probably the most dramatic recent example i can think of.

Russian guys dropping before the fall of the Soviet Union because of Visa/defecting concerns were substantial too.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kyle Chipchura, was one of the top prospects in his draft year, then an injury and questions about foot speed forced him to the Habs at #18

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
frolik and jesse jonesue were both ranked number 1 for last years draft at some point in time.. frolik went tenth i think and jesse fell to the late second maybe

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
It's much easier for a player to drop like Quinn did in football, because the players are almost always ready to step in and play right away, which means teams almost always pick based on need rather than who is the best player available at the time. In hockey, if a player drops, it's because the teams picking saw someone else who they thought was (or was going to be) a better hockey player.

Brady Quinn didn't drop because other players were seen as better, he fell because only one other team that picked when Quinn was on the board thought Russell was better.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Esposito will... I still think that he could be drafted top 5 but teams may be weary and he could slip way down.

Lambert Closse

Mar 6, 2002
2313 Ste-Catherine W
Visit site
It's not really an interesting case unless that player plummets on draft day due to the fact that the rankings fluctuate so much.

That's my point. I understand that from the start of the season to the draft, many prospects could be ranked # 1 and then drop. I wanted to point out that in the NHL for various reasons already mentionned the #1 prospect don't fall below # 3.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Or which former # 1 top NHL prospect fell down on draft day?

I remember in 1990 Mike Ricci dropping to # 4. Then in 1994 Radek Bonk fell to # 3 while being rank # 1 prospect for awhile. A year before he was eligible Daniel Cleary was consider possible #1 for the 1997 draft but dropped to # 13 on draft day. That being said, he was not considered a # 1 on the eve of the draft.

My point is that we get so many "worst draft pick" and "biggest bust" thread that we tend to forget that NHL management make their decison with the information they have on draft day and the can project all they want, they cannot read the future and each team as the same #1 pick.

Drafting Doug Wickenheiser, Alexandre Daigle or Patrik Stefan were not mistakes as any other team given the opportunity would have done the same.

Could it be safe to say that all if not most NHL top prospects are selected in the top 3 while it's not the case in the NFL and NBA.

just to clarify, are you talking about just guys ranked #1 at draft time that dropped? or are you also including guys that were ranked #1 months or a year before that dropped? going by memory there are probably very few guys ranked #1 at draft time that fell more then a handful of spots. but there are tons of guys that were ranked as top 10 picks in the initial rankings at the start of the year and then didn't even go in the 1st round, but thats usually a gradual decline to the point that by draft time they are no longer expected to go high.

Lambert Closse

Mar 6, 2002
2313 Ste-Catherine W
Visit site
just to clarify, are you talking about just guys ranked #1 at draft time that dropped? or are you also including guys that were ranked #1 months or a year before that dropped? going by memory there are probably very few guys ranked #1 at draft time that fell more then a handful of spots. but there are tons of guys that were ranked as top 10 picks in the initial rankings at the start of the year and then didn't even go in the 1st round, but thats usually a gradual decline to the point that by draft time they are no longer expected to go high.

Top ranked prospects on the eve of the draft that drop down on draft day.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Rob Schremp dropped a lot on Draft Day: attitude concerns I believe...

To a certain point, and I say certain, Kopitar was a projected top 5 in talent but him being from Slovenia prevented that. It wasn't like Brady, but a drop for sure.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Marek Schwarz, 2004. Was a virtual lock to be a top-10 pick according to everyone that covers the draft, and was 1/2 with Al Montoya as the best goalies in the draft.

On draft day, Schwarz was still on the board at 11 and the TSN crew figured Los Angeles would take him. They were stunned when Minnesota didn't take him at 12, somewhat surprised when Buffalo didn't take him at 13, then went berserk when Edmonton came up at #14 and instead took Devan Dubnyk. St. Louis finally came up at 17 and took Schwarz, and I think it was McKenzie who exclaimed, "IT'S ABOUT TIME!" right after the selection was announced.

That's probably the closest example in the last few drafts.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I was thinking of Adam Colagiacamo.
he's who I had in mind when i clicked the thread. He was rated up there with Thornton to start the year, and by the draft, was still rated as a mid-first round pick before slipping to the fourth on draft day. I think he ended up retiring within 4 or 5 years. 97 was supposed to be some unbelievable year for the OHL, with Thornton, Tkaczuk, Cleary, Colagiacamo, and Jarrett Smith pegged as top 10 prospects, and only one worked out as expected.

Jiri Hudler dropped to the second round after being a top 10 prospect on draft day, Evseev slipped to the second after being a top 5 prospect at the start of the season. Petr Hamrlik was rated top 5 in 2000 at one point and went third round.

Alot of people had Risto Korhonen in the first round in 05, after he was rated very high to start the year and he slipped to late fifth round.

And another first round fall, Michael Henrich fell a bit. I think it was Redline that had him second overall, but no one thought he'd go any lower than sixth or seventh. After the Ducks, Isles, Leafs and Avs all go off the board to take Vishnevsky, Rupp, Antropov and Tanguay he fell to 13th. The big stunner was that the leafs didn't take their hometown boy.

Bam Beet*

Wojtek Wolski.

Yup, he fell because a week before the draft, he got into a fight at a house party and he allegedly pushed some kid off a balcony or something because he did something to Wolski's girlfriend. Anyways the charges were dropped but he still fell all the way to 21 after being a top 5 player.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can't remember something as dramatic as Quinn dropping from potential #3 to #22. In the NFL, teams obviously draft with a higher regard to positional need than the NHL. So teams were passing on Quinn simply because they already had a QB. That wouldn't happen in the NHL (or at least shouldn't).

I remember Petr Sykora dipped a bit in 1995 with teams concerned about his shoulder. Went from a top 10 pick down to #18 to the Devils.

Guillaume Latendresse in 2005? I seem to remember most thinking he was a consensus top 10 pick and he falls to the middle of the 2nd round. As others noted, O'Sullivan fell quite a bit. And I seem to remember Patrick Thoresen was a rated by THN as a late first rounder in his draft year, and then he proceeds to go undrafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->