Player Discussion Braden Holtby Appreciation Thread

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
With the exception of John Scott who was voted in as a joke - Has there ever been a more undeserving all star than Holtby is this season?

Holtby has a 3.09 gaa and .897 save percentage.

That’s crazy he’s a all star.
No, it's not. The league does not pretend that it's meaningful. It is openly not related to performance.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is utter nonsense. There are plenty of things to fault Holtby for. There are plenty of things to fault the pre-Cup Capitals for. Holtby's play in those playoff losses is largely not one of them.

He's got a career .928 sv% in the playoffs. He had a GAA of less than 2 goals per game in each of the 2012, 2015, and 2016 playoff runs (with a .935 or higher sv% in all three as well). He stole the series against Boston in 2012. He secured three different OT victories (including the 2OT series clincher) against Toronto by holding them to 2 or fewer goals in games that stretched beyond 60 minutes in 2017. He utterly dominated the Flyers in 2016, including the series clinching 1-0 victory in game 6. His series against Lundqvist and the Rangers are some of the greatest playoff goalie duels of all time (especially 2014-15, in which every single game was decided by 1 goal, two of them went to OT, and Holtby held the Rangers to 2 goals or less in 5 of the 7 games in the series). It's not Holtby's fault that the Capitals could only score 1 goal in 2012 game 7, zero goals combined in games 6 and 7 in 2013, 1 goal in game 7 in 2015, or zero goals in game 7 in 2017. Pinning the series losses on Holtby when the Capitals offense was routinely getting shut out or held to a single goal in critical elimination games is ridiculous.

Claiming that Holtby only had one good playoff run for the Capitals is nothing short of a blatant lie.

HEAR HEAR!!!!!

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
This is utter nonsense. There are plenty of things to fault Holtby for. There are plenty of things to fault the pre-Cup Capitals for. Holtby's play in those playoff losses is largely not one of them.

He's got a career .928 sv% in the playoffs. He had a GAA of less than 2 goals per game in each of the 2012, 2015, and 2016 playoff runs (with a .935 or higher sv% in all three as well). He stole the series against Boston in 2012. He secured three different OT victories (including the 2OT series clincher) against Toronto by holding them to 2 or fewer goals in games that stretched beyond 60 minutes in 2017. He utterly dominated the Flyers in 2016, including the series clinching 1-0 victory in game 6. His series against Lundqvist and the Rangers are some of the greatest playoff goalie duels of all time (especially 2014-15, in which every single game was decided by 1 goal, two of them went to OT, and Holtby held the Rangers to 2 goals or less in 5 of the 7 games in the series). It's not Holtby's fault that the Capitals could only score 1 goal in 2012 game 7, zero goals combined in games 6 and 7 in 2013, 1 goal in game 7 in 2015, or zero goals in game 7 in 2017. Pinning the series losses on Holtby when the Capitals offense was routinely getting shut out or held to a single goal in critical elimination games is ridiculous.

Claiming that Holtby only had one good playoff run for the Capitals is nothing short of a blatant lie.

A lot of this is true, overall Holtby was good in playoffs, and you can't single him out for Caps' struggles. But he (nearly) always got outplayed by Lundquist or whoever was the Pens' goalie -- at least in terms of raising his game another notch when it was really needed. That's why probably for most fans, he was more good than elite. Btw, a lot of those deciding-game losses really came down to who gets scored on first -- especially for a Caps team that had a 1000 lbs gorilla on its back. Rarely has a team NEEDED the goalie to come up huge as the Caps did, in order to get over a hump.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A lot of this is true, overall Holtby was good in playoffs, and you can't single him out for Caps' struggles. But he (nearly) always got outplayed by Lundquist or whoever was the Pens' goalie -- at least in terms of raising his game another notch when it was really needed. That's why probably for most fans, he was more good than elite. Btw, a lot of those deciding-game losses really came down to who gets scored on first -- especially for a Caps team that had a 1000 lbs gorilla on its back. Rarely has a team NEEDED the goalie to come up huge as the Caps did, in order to get over a hump.

The only playoffs that I dumped in Holtby's lap was the choke against the Rangers in Trotz first season. When they had the lead in the clincher with the Rangers pulling the goalie. Maybe I shouldn't blame Holtby for that one, but I do

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The only playoffs that I dumped in Holtby's lap was the choke against the Rangers in Trotz first season. When they had the lead in the clincher with the Rangers pulling the goalie. Maybe I shouldn't blame Holtby for that one, but I do

He was not good in 2017 vs the Pens (think he had around a .900 save percentage) and he gave up two terrible goals against Carolina in G7 last year when the Caps were in control of the game.

I remember being at one of the games they lost at home against the Pens in 2017 and Holtby was awful, didn’t give the team a chance. I think it was G2. Edit: yup, gave up 3 goals on 14 shots before being pulled for Grubi. Caps doubled up the Pens in shots and MAF stopped 34/36 to give the Pens a 2-0 series lead.

All of this talk about Holtby being clutch in the playoffs is largely pre-2015-16. And aside from the Boston series in 2011, Holtby never stole them a series like other goalies did against the Caps, or at least I can’t remember one where he did.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Henrik Lundqvist playoff save percentage against the Washington Capitals: 0.930
Henrik Lundqvist playoff save percentage against the rest of the NHL: 0.917

Is some of that Lundqvist out-dueling Holtby? Perhaps. But a lot of that is likely the Capitals complete lack of depth scoring in the playoffs prior to 2018. The same Capitals offense that turned numerous other goalies into demi-gods (getting "Halak'd" became a term).

Between 2012 and 2017, the Capitals were eliminated from the playoffs five times. The Capitals offense scored five goals combined in those elimination five games. They were shut out in two of them. They scored more than 1 goal only once. It's really hard to expect Holtby to do more than he did in those goalie duels, when the Capitals offense couldn't muster up 2 goals of support for him. You can't expect shutouts every single close game from any goalie in the league.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I know why he’s not been playing well recently, he was busy filming Rise of Empires: Ottoman that just came out on Netflix

1576399326783-bout.jpg

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Henrik Lundqvist playoff save percentage against the Washington Capitals: 0.930
Henrik Lundqvist playoff save percentage against the rest of the NHL: 0.917

Is some of that Lundqvist out-dueling Holtby? Perhaps. But a lot of that is likely the Capitals complete lack of depth scoring in the playoffs prior to 2018. The same Capitals offense that turned numerous other goalies into demi-gods (getting "Halak'd" became a term).

Between 2012 and 2017, the Capitals were eliminated from the playoffs five times. The Capitals offense scored five goals combined in those elimination five games. They were shut out in two of them. They scored more than 1 goal only once. It's really hard to expect Holtby to do more than he did in those goalie duels, when the Capitals offense couldn't muster up 2 goals of support for him. You can't expect shutouts every single close game from any goalie in the league.

Jesus. It’s like these clowns read this over and over and their takeaway is still “Holtby sucks”. Are they mentally deranged? Smoking crack?

What gives?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Too much 'what have you done for me lately' not enough functional memories in this thread.

Braden Holtby is one of the all-time great Caps.

Of course he is, and he'll always be revered for what's done for this franchise. That said, this isn't exactly "what have you done for me lately" as his decline has been well documented since 2015-16.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I've had this stuck in my head ever since Elliotte Friedman noted in one of his 31 thoughts columns that Holtby "thinks differently", so I thought I'd ask here for opinions. Let's say end of the year, Holtby goes to Mac and says, I understand Samsonov, I understand Seattle, I'm willing to sign a 1 year deal at fair market value. What's the most you offer him?

Obviously it depends on how he finishes the year, and what happens in the playoffs, and what Samsonov does the rest of the year as well, but it's just a hypothetical I was curious about.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I've had this stuck in my head ever since Elliotte Friedman noted in one of his 31 thoughts columns that Holtby "thinks differently", so I thought I'd ask here for opinions. Let's say end of the year, Holtby goes to Mac and says, I understand Samsonov, I understand Seattle, I'm willing to sign a 1 year deal at fair market value. What's the most you offer him?

Obviously it depends on how he finishes the year, and what happens in the playoffs, and what Samsonov does the rest of the year as well, but it's just a hypothetical I was curious about.
Big risk for Holtby. Why would he do that?

Caps need someone to ease Sammy into true starter but Holtby isnt necessary the one to do it. I think management would like Holts to make the best deal for his family... So both parties will part ways gracefully.

If he indeed wants to stay for 1 year for unknown reasons you do the mojo trade once again - deal 3rd line guys on big contracts for space :)

PS: our collective estimations of Ovi's and Vrana's next contracts mean there is no space for Holtby beyond ED even. No cap space, no purpose. The writing is on the wall.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Well, if he's gonna have a .890 save percentage, then we pay him 8.9M, it's only fair.

Seriously, I just don't see it. At most I'd consider giving him a backup+ salary in this scenario -- i.e. you budget for a "normal" veteran backup goalie, and if you have a bit of leftover extra money, you could offer it to Holtby IF he's completely on board with a likely backup role. So, I dunno, whatever a decent backup makes plus up to 1M -- as a maximum.

But even then, this doesn't really sense. The only scenario where something like you say could've happened would probably be if Holtby and Samsonov BOTH had bad/inconsistent seasons -- then you could be interested in giving them another season to battle it out/prove themselves. But as things stand so far, Samsonov has put himself in position where the org should give him 100% support going forward, and Holtby's the wrong guy for that backup role because, if he doesn't get the big contract, then he needs to go somewhere where he can re-establish himself as the alpha dog.

Could be something to revisit if something drastic happens in playoffs.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Goalie market is so weird, Bob got 14x as much money as Lehner, who got twice as much as Halak, who knows what Holtby will get

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Honestly? 4m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad