Player Discussion Braden Holtby Appreciation Thread

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If we trade Holtby, even in two years, this guy is going to be pissed.

holtby-tatouage.png

why? he got them the cup. its ok if that happens

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He had to be at his best for them to win.....and he was.
This was exactly what I said when the Holtby/Grubauer debate started here. I always said are only chance was to go with Holtby and he had to be at the top of his game. Hopefully we are done with the Grubauer should be our starter debate.

Reactions: JenniferH

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
The trend based on last two seasons. 'Grade' purpose is only to illustrate player clustering by performance level.

PlayerGP last two seasonsSv% Grade
Pekka Rinne1150.934Playoff Dominator
Ben Bishop990.93Playoff Dominator
Andrei Vasilevskiy1180.93Playoff Dominator
John Gibson1180.929Playoff Dominator
Jaroslav Halak940.928Playoff Series Winner
Darcy Kuemper840.928Playoff Series Winner
Sergei Bobrovsky1270.928Playoff Series Winner
Robin Lehner990.927Playoff Series Winner
Frederik Andersen1260.927Playoff Series Winner
Semyon Varlamov1000.926Can Win a Game
Tuukka Rask1000.925Can Win a Game
Connor Hellebuyck1300.925Can Win a Game
Marc-Andre Fleury1070.924Can Win a Game
Devan Dubnyk1270.924Can Win a Game
Petr Mrazek790.924Can Win a Game
Jimmy Howard1150.923Get Ready to Miss Playoffs
Matt Murray990.923Get Ready to Miss Playoffs
Henrik Lundqvist1150.922Get Ready to Miss Playoffs
Jacob Markstrom1200.922Get Ready to Miss Playoffs
Carter Hutton820.922Get Ready to Miss Playoffs
Carey Price1150.92Instant Team Rebuild
Braden Holtby1130.92Instant Team Rebuild
Roberto Luongo780.919Instant Team Rebuild
Jake Allen1050.919Instant Team Rebuild
Mike Smith970.918Instant Team Rebuild
Cam Ward760.918Instant Team Rebuild
Jonathan Quick1100.916Get Me Out of the League
Cam Talbot1020.915Get Me Out of the League
Keith Kinkaid820.91Get Me Out of the League
Martin Jones1220.905Get Me Out of the League
Craig Anderson1080.904Get Me Out of the League
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
John Gibson... playoff dominator, yet didn't win a single playoff game in those 2 seasons.

Braden Holtby... instant team rebuild, yeah. The organization should have followed that advice two seasons ago, right?

Hockey is a team game. If your other players are flying, a .920 Sv% goalie can win the Cup and vice versa.

Right here, right now Holtby is a Jonathan Quick, Martin Jones, Henrik Lundqvist -caliber player. Excellent many years ago, terrible today. You give him a big contract and get fired from your GM position the next year.

If Holtby does not get his head out of his *** this year and does not produce at the .935 Sv% level with our stacked and talented team, he should be very-very far from DC in 2020. We cannot waste Ovechkin last years with Jose_Theodore_2.0 goalie in the cage.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The curious thing about Holtby is that he was still pretty good at ES last year if you look at goals saved above average. He really was hung out to dry by his team.

But his numbers on the PK were dreadful and it's hard to pinpoint why. In terms of shots against and chances against (as measured by xGF and the like) the Capitals were pretty good at PKing last year:

WSH

It's possible that the stats didn't really capture the chances the Capitals gave up on the PK, and it's also possible that Holtby just had a run of bad luck or bad play on the PK that isn't likely to be repeated.

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if the Capitals had a much better PK next year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The curious thing about Holtby is that he was still pretty good at ES last year if you look at goals saved above average. He really was hung out to dry by his team.

But his numbers on the PK were dreadful and it's hard to pinpoint why. In terms of shots against and chances against (as measured by xGF and the like) the Capitals were pretty good at PKing last year:

WSH

It's possible that the stats didn't really capture the chances the Capitals gave up on the PK, and it's also possible that Holtby just had a run of bad luck or bad play on the PK that isn't likely to be repeated.

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if the Capitals had a much better PK next year.

MacLellan actively tried to find players specifically to improve the pk. Reirden monkeyed with the pk all season trying to help it. Maybe the problem with Holtby's pk numbers was the pk.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
MacLellan actively tried to find players specifically to improve the pk. Reirden monkeyed with the pk all season trying to help it. Maybe the problem with Holtby's pk numbers was the pk.

As I said in my post it's possible that the PK was bad systematically in a way that wasn't captured by the numbers. But it's also possible that the PK was systematically fine and was just let down by goaltending or just plain bad luck.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

WSH

Holtby was less than averege at ES last year. Here is the 2/3 league long list of goalies who did (much) better than him at ES last year:

Ben Bishop
Thomas Greiss
Jaroslav Halak
Jordan Binnington
Robin Lehner
Jack Campbell
Anton Khudobin
Matt Murray
Petr Mrazek
Pekka Rinne
Casey DeSmith
Darcy Kuemper
Philipp Grubauer
Frederik Andersen
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Tuukka Rask
Jimmy Howard
John Gibson

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Holtby was less than averege at ES last year. Here is the 2/3 league long list of goalies who did (much) better than him at ES last year:

Ben Bishop
Thomas Greiss
Jaroslav Halak
Jordan Binnington
Robin Lehner
Jack Campbell
Anton Khudobin
Matt Murray
Petr Mrazek
Pekka Rinne
Casey DeSmith
Darcy Kuemper
Philipp Grubauer
Frederik Andersen
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Tuukka Rask
Jimmy Howard
John Gibson

I'm talking about using GSAA instead of just using save percentage. GSAA tries to account for shot-quality against, while save percentage is indifferent to shot quality.

Using GSAA at even strength Holtby was in the top ~10 to 12 or so starters in the league last year (a little worse if you do GSAA/60). Not great, but certainly not terrible either.

Now of course Holtby was below replacement level in 2017-18 using GSAA so I'm not suggesting that he should be re-signed if he's looking for a long or very lucrative deal. I think it's fair to speculate that he might be done as a top tier goalie for good unless he puts up a great season this year.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I'm talking about using GSAA instead of just using save percentage. GSAA tries to account for shot-quality against, while save percentage is indifferent to shot quality.

Using GSAA at even strength Holtby was in the top ~10 to 12 or so starters in the league last year (a little worse if you do GSAA/60). Not great, but certainly not terrible either.

Now of course Holtby was below replacement level in 2017-18 using GSAA so I'm not suggesting that he should be re-signed if he's looking for a long or very lucrative deal. I think it's fair to speculate that he might be done as a top tier goalie for good unless he puts up a great season this year.
My point, exactly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But it's also possible that the PK was systematically fine and was just let down by goaltending.

Possible, but you would be suggesting the Caps made roster changes at forward and defense because of goaltending.

I recall a conversation with Olie Kolzig when after years of a stable defense he could read plays know who would do what. With new less effective players he couldn't count on any consistency and no idea where the puck was going til it went there. An erratic pk hangs goalies out. Bad goaltending shows the ok doing it's job. You don't fire pk players for that

Reactions: JenniferH

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Possible, but you would be suggesting the Caps made roster changes at forward and defense because of goaltending.

I recall a conversation with Olie Kolzig when after years of a stable defense he could read plays know who would do what. With new less effective players he couldn't count on any consistency and no idea where the puck was going til it went there. An erratic pk hangs goalies out. Bad goaltending shows the ok doing it's job. You don't fire pk players for that

I think the Caps front office is much more calculating than the average front office around the league and in general I love what BMac has done with the roster aside from a few early TDL duds (Gleason and Weber). So I'm certainly not ruling out that they identified a real issue with the PK and/or the personnel and tried addressing it with the acquisitions last TDL and this offseason. And given their prolonged level of success the front office has earned some level of trust on these matters.

But it's also true that the new acquisitions last year didn't actually improve the PK: 7.47 GA/60 after the trade deadline vs. 7.08 GA/60 before the trade deadline and the shot rate remained basically unchanged. It's a small sample and there is probably an adjustment period to account for so I'm not willing to draw any real conclusions from it one way or the other, but it sure looked the same.

I think their PK results will be much better this year. I think they are bound for some regression and I think they have good personnel and a good system in place. I'm just not sure they needed new personnel for the PK specifically.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So Hagelin was unnecessary and resigning him a mistake?

I think he still provides value at even strength, particularly defensively, and his AAV doesn’t break the bank so I’d lean toward the signing being fine especially if you want to consider any off-ice value which I am increasingly . If he was signed purely as a PKer then I’d lean toward it being an overpay and unnecessary.

It’s why I thought letting Beagle walk was the right move. Of course he was fine as a PKer but other than that and faceoffs he just didn’t bring enough to command $3 million a year from Washington when Dowd is just as good at most aspects of the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hagelin is obviously an almost all situations player. He is a quality 5 on 5 and a nightmare 4 on 4. But his lead skill is as the lead pk forward on the team. I am pretty confident that if the PK was just fine the Caps could have found a more offensive player for that roster spot instead of a penalty killer.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
HOLTBY CONTINUE TO LEAD THE WAY FOR THE CAPITALS

Holtby improved to 10-0-1 dating to Oct. 10 (at NSH) to extend his personal point streak to 11 games and became the only Capitals goaltender to post three such streaks during his tenure with the franchise.

The 2015-16 Vezina Trophy winner is the fifth active netminder with three personal point streaks of 11 or more games, joining Marc-Andre Fleury (4x w/ PIT, 1x w/ VGK), Pekka Rinne (4x w/ NSH), Sergei Bobrovsky (4x w/ CBJ) and Tuukka Rask (3x w/ BOS).

Additionally, Holtby (11-1-3) has earned 11 wins through his first 15 decisions for the second time in his career (also 2017-18). Only two other Capitals goaltenders have recorded more than 11 wins through their first 15 decisions: Michal Neuvirth (12-3-0 in 2010-11) and Semyon Varlamov (12-1-2 in 2009-10).

Holtby point streak - Media-19121423.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->