Player Discussion Braden Holtby Appreciation Thread

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is so far from the reality of the situation that its breathtaking. When you are being paid millions of dollars and a lead player on a professional sports team, it is a highly responsible, highly stressful job. ITS A JOB!!! Its not a kids game. Mentally tired is different than broken. Not to say that the repeated choking cant result in broken. Again. what kid is known continent wide for being a national choker season after season?

Oh boo boo, I’m not saying it’s a not a thing, I’m saying I don’t think the issue with Holtby is that the crushing weight of being a heavily used starter is the issue in large part....I think the crushing losses to the Penguins is largely the issue.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not taking Johnson as the gospel, like others I'm saying it seems to be a viable reason for his play. I don't reject that notion that this could be the result of a lot of factors. I'm just saying that discarding Johnson's opinion or insinuating it actually confirms the opposite of what he's hypothesizing is silly. There literally was a poster who was implied that because Johnson was verbose in his reasoning that it confirms that Holtby is broken. That's the type of speculation I think is stupid. I also think that characterizing anyone who maybe values former players and club house reporters over random internet speculation as being a "sheep" is also pretty stupid.

I guess I mistook your “well (Brent) said it’s fatigue, so it’s probably fatigue” as you believing this was the primary issue.

Broken or whatever you want to call it, I think he’s suffering from playoff failure-itus, where he was an apparent weak link.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh boo boo, I’m not saying it’s a not a thing, I’m saying I don’t think the issue with Holtby is that the crushing weight of being a heavily used starter is the issue in large part....I think the crushing losses to the Penguins is largely the issue.

Might be. You know that I have said for a long time now that losing like that creates a weight that gets increasingly hard to carry. To a degree its remarkable that Ovechkin powers thru. Though last season might have been a result of that failure.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I got tired reading all those tweets
I agree with Brent Johnsons assessment. Holtby has played a lot of games the past few seasons but he had a lot of easy games where he hardly broke a sweat. Now that the defense isn't nearly is good, he hasnt had any easy games this season. He is using up a lot of energy every game.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
No, it was easy to see if you're going back through the past with a fine-toothed comb and a confirmation bias. His mental game has been a strength for years, and his willingness to train that aspect of the game doesn't make him weak, or assert that he has been weak mentally for years. That's insane.

The line tracing thing and water bottle flip was not installed because he had great focus. He had great skill and the focus was the problem. He spent time with sport sociologists to get his routine down. And now he is starting to break down mentally.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I guess I mistook your “well (Brent) said it’s fatigue, so it’s probably fatigue” as you believing this was the primary issue.

Broken or whatever you want to call it, I think he’s suffering from playoff failure-itus, where he was an apparent weak link.

Weird, I don't remember saying anything like that, but you used quotes and everything so I must have. Just for shizz and gigs can you point out the post where I insinuated that what Johnson said was absolute fact? I'm just having a hard time because oddly even in my first post on the subject I say that analysts aren't the "be-all-end-all" but rather I simply value their opinions more than random message board fodder.

Can't wait to for you to show me this mystery post, calling my doctor now since I must have blacked out this afternoon, would love to bring that post to him as evidence of my fugue state. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't end up wandering into a convenience store naked...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Weird, I don't remember saying anything like that, but you used quotes and everything so I must have. Just for shizz and gigs can you point out the post where I insinuated that what Johnson said was absolute fact? I'm just having a hard time because oddly even in my first post on the subject I say that analysts aren't the "be-all-end-all" but rather I simply value their opinions more than random message board fodder.

Can't wait to for you to show me this mystery post, calling my doctor now since I must have blacked out this afternoon, would love to bring that post to him as evidence of my fugue state. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't end up wandering into a convenience store naked...

If it’s that challenging for you to 1]click back a single page, and 2) remember your own ramblings, why am I wasting my time with this discussion?

“If the guy who covers the team and played goalie at the highest level in the world says he thinks it's fatigue... it's probably fatigue”

I almost quoted you word for word..even chopped down with my message board shorthand...”well (Brent) said it’s fatigue, so it’s probably fatigue”

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
From the asset management standpoint I wanted them to trade Grubi. And maybe Samsonov. Glad they didn't. That's why I'm not in the game lol.

Holtby is in trouble. But he has time until next spring.

Maybe he goes as #2 in playoffs and it will help.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Well I’d say Holtby redeemed himself in the playoffs and then some.

With two years left on his deal and Samsonov in Hershey next year, I wonder if 2018-19 could be Holtby’s last in DC. Next offseason would be the last that we could trade him and get any kind of meaningful return for him, and I’d hate to lose him for nothing. And with him and Backstrom being UFAs at the same time, I think it’s obvious they’ll both be in the market for raises and only one can stay.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why would Holtby leave?

He started the career with Capitals. Won some hardware with Capitals. And look at his emotions while doing so.

He's integral part of the team. From the comments I think he's one of the leaders.

And then look at his numbers. Why some guys want to trade him? f*** asset management. Keep the best goalie.

This one is the best Caps have. Maybe the best they ever had.

Samsonov is nobody yet and the chance he's getting to Vezina level is slim now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well I’d say Holtby redeemed himself in the playoffs and then some.

With two years left on his deal and Samsonov in Hershey next year, I wonder if 2018-19 could be Holtby’s last in DC. Next offseason would be the last that we could trade him and get any kind of meaningful return for him, and I’d hate to lose him for nothing. And with him and Backstrom being UFAs at the same time, I think it’s obvious they’ll both be in the market for raises and only one can stay.

Yea, no. The Caps have reloaded with Samsonov like they reloaded with Grubauer. Holtby will stay if he proves to keep his level of play at career norms. Samsonov is there in case Holtby gets hurt and to keep him from playing 70 games.

Same with Backstrom. He is a lifer. His number will be retired. They wont lose him

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Trade Holtgod????

Brian-Fantana-Easy-Champ-Anchorman.gif

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Yea, no. The Caps have reloaded with Samsonov like they reloaded with Grubauer. Holtby will stay if he proves to keep his level of play at career norms. Samsonov is there in case Holtby gets hurt and to keep him from playing 70 games.

Same with Backstrom. He is a lifer. His number will be retired. They wont lose him
Samsonov is one of the best goalie prospects on the planet and has a considerably higher ceiling than Grubauer. His numbers in the KHL were better than Vasilevskiy’s; if he performs in Hershey next year I think he could push Holtby pretty quickly.

Fact is, Holtby has two years left on his current deal. If Samsonov is in the NHL next year and looks the part, then what to do with Holtby next summer? The salary cap reality is we can’t give both him and Backstrom raises when their current deals expire—one of them will have to go, and we (hopefully) have a pretty clear cut replacement for Holtby. Assuming Holtby plays well next year, he’d likely fetch a sizeable return which would allow us to bolster other areas of the roster while Samsonov is the future in net.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
We're going to rehash these arguments in a few years when Samsonov starts pushing Holtby.

Good problem to have.

Yes it is. Back in the day from the Blackhawks forum, a few of us thought the goalie was "overrated" in todays game and questioned the Blackhawks committing 6million per to Corey Crawford. Boy we were wrong! When CC got hurt this year it became very evident in terms of goals against average just how much he was missed.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah, no reason to look two years ahead. We just won the freaking cup, all we need to focus is party hard and after the hangover is over just try to repeat next year.

Our window is wide open again. They proved this core can get it done. For the next years you just go summer at a time trying to survive the cap casualties and extend the window. Some guys will be lost in the process and thats unfortunate, but id much rather have one or two more runs with Holtbeast than with an unproven goalie and a draft pick that could be something of nothing in the far distance future.

I cant believe i actually was very pro-trade Holts at some point of the season. Im shamed. Thanks for proving me as an idiot, Braden!

I also think winning a cup makes Holts, and the whole team only better. They will have the hangover to start the season and they can never be as hungry as they were this time around, but they should gain a lot of confidence and experience from this.

But who cares for now! Today its time for a parade!! :)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Samsonov is one of the best goalie prospects on the planet and has a considerably higher ceiling than Grubauer. His numbers in the KHL were better than Vasilevskiy’s; if he performs in Hershey next year I think he could push Holtby pretty quickly.

Fact is, Holtby has two years left on his current deal. If Samsonov is in the NHL next year and looks the part, then what to do with Holtby next summer? The salary cap reality is we can’t give both him and Backstrom raises when their current deals expire—one of them will have to go, and we (hopefully) have a pretty clear cut replacement for Holtby. Assuming Holtby plays well next year, he’d likely fetch a sizeable return which would allow us to bolster other areas of the roster while Samsonov is the future in net.

Hockey teams are filled with players that are people. They are not pieces on a game board. The Caps don't win very likely with another wingers with the same stats or better than Oshie. The Caps don't win very likely with another vezina class goalie that is benched for the playoffs. They one they had was the right fit.

Samsonov can be better than Grubauer. That doesn't change anything. I expect Holtby to be Vezina finalist level again next season. You don't trade a 29 year old Vezina level, cup winning goaltender that is core to your team for a shiny new rookie. MacLellan isn't going to do that.

He will also manage his cap so that he can resign Backstrom and Ovechkin when its time. Are we going to talk about trading them in the last year of their deals?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Holtby came through! I've never been so relieved in my life. Ok there was this other time when a family member fell down a flight of stairs right in front of my eyes and looked dead but got up unscathed. But Holtby is a close second!!! R.I.P Holthree.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->