Value of: Braden Holtby to Buffalo

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The Caps aren’t undoing the Forsberg for old broken wheel trade.

Nah this would legitimately get Sabres to the playoffs, maybe they lose it later on if Mittelstadt pans out but perhaps the culture change + winning season to build off of is worth it. The Forsberg trade led to McLellan taking over and Caps getting Oshie and Williams, the two years they lost to the Pens they were the best caps teams ever iced. If they didn't lose to the team that roflstomped everyone else even harder we'd bear the Forsberg trade just fine. I threw in Trotz for a reason.

Also in no universe is Erat = Holtby, Holtby's value is greater than Schneider's when he was traded for 9th overall and Varlamov's when he was traded for 10th overall (Forsberg), so that trade would be pretty even even if Buffalo doesn't want to do it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nah this would legitimately get Sabres to the playoffs, maybe they lose it later on if Mittelstadt pans out but perhaps the culture change + winning season to build off of is worth it. The Forsberg trade led to McLellan taking over and Caps getting Oshie and Williams, the two years they lost to the Pens they were the best caps teams ever iced. If they didn't lose to the team that roflstomped everyone else even harder we'd bear the Forsberg trade just fine. I threw in Trotz for a reason.

Also in no universe is Erat = Holtby, Holtby's value is greater than Schneider's when he was traded for 9th overall and Varlamov's when he was traded for 10th overall (Forsberg), so that trade would be pretty even even if Buffalo doesn't want to do it.

Prospects of Mittelstadt's ilk don't get moved for goalies, and it's not like the Caps would be selling high on Holtby here. Think more like a 2nd round pick and some filler.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
What about something around Holtby for Alex Nylander? Each side adding to make value and salary cap / contracts work.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Prospects of Mittelstadt's ilk don't get moved for goalies, and it's not like the Caps would be selling high on Holtby here. Think more like a 2nd round pick and some filler.

So 9th overall and 10th overall do but not 8th overall? That's the scientific cut off?

But I'm sure you're getting a guy who was a Vezina winner and a Vezina finalist the last 2 years for a 2nd rounder and some filler lmao. What does that make Eichel worth, a 3rd round pick? He also had an underwhelming season so he must be on his way out.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd do nylander straight up for any of the caps 3 goalies.

Trades can have pluses or minus depending on the goalie involved (i.e off setting salary )

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You should be well aware that this is stupid. Remind us all how much you paid for Lehner and how his career compares to Holtby's.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'd do nylander straight up for any of the caps 3 goalies.

Trades can have pluses or minus depending on the goalie involved (i.e off setting salary )
Holtby is unlikely to be available. If he is you're going to be adding significantly to a 0.5PPG AHL forward.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
In a day or two we could see a thread B. Holtby to the moon
The guy gave up 1 goal in the only playoff game he's been in this season. What say we let him actually play a game before we send him to the moon. Let's also let the team actually play some effective team D first. The Gs haven't been good but it's not entirely their fault we find ourselves where we are.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
The guy gave up 1 goal in the only playoff game he's been in this season. What say we let him actually play a game before we send him to the moon. Let's also let the team actually play some effective team D first. The Gs haven't been good but it's not entirely their fault we find ourselves where we are.

It was a sarcastic post.

In this part of the board you can see Holtby proposals to almost every teams.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Come on, Mittelstadt is going nowhere. He is a top prospect and probably will be in contention for the Calder next year.

Sabres will probably go with Ullmark and Lehner next year

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Come on, Mittelstadt is going nowhere. He is a top prospect and probably will be in contention for the Calder next year.

Sabres will probably go with Ullmark and Lehner next year
I agree Mittelstadt is unrealistic. However, the only thing I have seen Sabres fans offering is Nylander. Nylander might be a good offer for Grubauer. If Sabre fans are okay with Ullmark and Lehner that's fine but that doesn't seem like the tone of the thread started by a Sabre fan. If the thought is that the Caps are going to gift Holtby or Grubauer we may as well just shut this down.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I agree Mittelstadt is unrealistic. However, the only thing I have seen Sabres fans offering is Nylander. Nylander might be a good offer for Grubauer. If Sabre fans are okay with Ullmark and Lehner that's fine but that doesn't seem like the tone of the thread started by a Sabre fan. If the thought is that the Caps are going to gift Holtby or Grubauer we may as well just shut this down.
I don't think the sabres are ready to compete next year. So why trade assets away? Sure the OP was just asking but I don't see a good match between these teams for Holtby or Grubauer unless the Caps were interested in someone like Okposo, Pomminville, Larrson, Girgensons or some B prospect and I don't see the caps doing that. I think the sabres learned their lessons on trading for a goalie already.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't think the sabres are ready to compete next year. So why trade assets away? Sure the OP was just asking but I don't see a good match between these teams for Holtby or Grubauer unless the Caps were interested in someone like Okposo, Pomminville, Larrson, Girgensons or some B prospect and I don't see the caps doing that. I think the sabres learned their lessons on trading for a goalie already.
I think the lesson might be not to trade for Robin Lehner. I'm not trying to sell you on any Caps G but to my eye the Sabres will need to do something about goaltending or they won't be "ready to compete" for a while. Going with Ullmark is reasonable but I'm guessing the Sabres will have a Plan B (that might even be a trade for a Plan A, like Holtby/Grubauer) and Lehner will be catapulted into the sun. Otherwise you're only several seasons away from being in the same position the Islanders are today with Tavares (Eichel)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Holtby? NOW, there are a lot better goalies at 6.1m. Washington shouldn't expect much in return.
Actually Lehner and Holtby had identical GAA and Save % this year. And Lehner played for the Sabres.
Goalies that go from good teams to poor teams often don't fair well. Seen many Washington pumping Holtby and Grubauer, by really I can't see it. And it looks like this playoff has made their trading value even less.

Reactions: Sam Spade

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If not Lehner then you need to get somebody so who?
There will be some options out there that won't break the bank. Ulmark will be up obviously, how much he plays will be dependant on who the other goaltender is. Hutton is a UFA and would be a good get. Plenty of journeyman goalies as well, Bernier, Lehtonen, Niemi, Khudobin. Steve Mason could be traded to clear cap space for the Jets and we could actually fetch an asset for taking him on. Koskinen has been rumored to be coming to the NHL as well. That's just a handful of options, and it doesn't include the Sabres simply giving Lehner a one year deal and letting him split time with Ulmark. If a goalie doesn't come cheap you don't make a deal.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think the lesson might be not to trade for Robin Lehner. I'm not trying to sell you on any Caps G but to my eye the Sabres will need to do something about goaltending or they won't be "ready to compete" for a while. Going with Ullmark is reasonable but I'm guessing the Sabres will have a Plan B (that might even be a trade for a Plan A, like Holtby/Grubauer) and Lehner will be catapulted into the sun. Otherwise you're only several seasons away from being in the same position the Islanders are today with Tavares (Eichel)
Eichel is locked up until the 25-26 season. I think we've got time before we have to worry about him walking because we don't have a good goaltender. Most goaltenders are a roll of the dice you never know what you're going to get and their play is largely dependant on the team in front of them. Let's build a team and in particular an adequate defense before we start chasing another goaltender, unless that goalie is coming cheap.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
So 9th overall and 10th overall do but not 8th overall? That's the scientific cut off?

But I'm sure you're getting a guy who was a Vezina winner and a Vezina finalist the last 2 years for a 2nd rounder and some filler lmao. What does that make Eichel worth, a 3rd round pick? He also had an underwhelming season so he must be on his way out.

It’s not the 8th overall. It’s someone drafted 8th overall who has since become the top prospect. Similarly, Nylander is worth less than 8th overall. And yes, Holtby is totally worth more than eichel

Man this thread got derailed fast

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

you have something to back that up? Statistically that statement is a joke.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Holtby? NOW, there are a lot better goalies at 6.1m. Washington shouldn't expect much in return.
Actually Lehner and Holtby had identical GAA and Save % this year. And Lehner played for the Sabres.
Goalies that go from good teams to poor teams often don't fair well. Seen many Washington pumping Holtby and Grubauer, by really I can't see it. And it looks like this playoff has made their trading value even less.
Yeah I'd say you're seeing it how you want to see it, which is fine but Caps fans are going to see it differently and their position (backed by Holtby's career stats, both RS and POs) is more easily defended. You think the <2.00GAA Holtby has in this playoff after allowing a single goal has had any effect on his value AND you think that effect is negative? Certainly you are an oracle.

As for Holtby/Lehner, Holtby played 54G faced 1495Shots and had 34W.

Lehner played 53G faced 1417Shots and had 14W.

I'm sorry but contrary to your narrative the big difference here (that of Ws) was not entirely in spite of Holtby and was, at least partially because of Holtby.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Eichel is locked up until the 25-26 season. I think we've got time before we have to worry about him walking because we don't have a good goaltender. Most goaltenders are a roll of the dice you never know what you're going to get and their play is largely dependant on the team in front of them. Let's build a team and in particular an adequate defense before we start chasing another goaltender, unless that goalie is coming cheap.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadsp...d-then-the-sabres-cleaned-hous-1794496665/amp
You don't have to like it but Eichel has the Sabres by the stones. If the team remains in the dumpster it's entirely plausible he looks for greener pastures and he's shown a willingness to resort to extreme measures to dictate the direction of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad