Braden Holtby - 9 straight regulation periods without allowing a goal.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Should be among the candidates to get Vezina -nomination but he's not going to win. As good as he's been both Rinne and Price are having insane seasons.

Could make a very solid argument that he's only behind those guys as of now.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If you watch Holtby when he is on his game, there is zero wasted movement. He doesn't have to make the big splashy save because he's always in the right position.

That said, the Kings looked pathetic last night and hardly generated any legit chances. Caps defense is playing decently in front of him.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Should be among the candidates to get Vezina -nomination but he's not going to win. As good as he's been both Rinne and Price are having insane seasons.

Could make a very solid argument that he's only behind those guys as of now.

how can you dismiss the guy who just had 3 straight regulation shutouts, this is why many feel that Holtby is underrated, I agree that Price is front runner and will see how Rinne looks after he comes back, but Holtby has a decent shot if he keeps up his amazing play

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To be honest I always feel like he's an excellent goalie but not quite unstoppable intimidating like Price or Rinne or other goalies can be. He'll make a ton of great saves but if you keep up the pressure he'll let some in eventually, but I could be biased because that's how it seems to go against the Rangers in my head.

can't argue he isn't having a good season though

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Regretfully admitting I've seen him in the Twilight movies...Vampires have great reflexes, so it is no surprise he is excelling as a goaltender.
Braden%20Holtby.jpg

jhglassman

Jan 13, 2015
I think a lot of you are missing the point. It was said that "if he can keep it up", he might win the Vezina.

This is absolutely correct. If Holtby can continue not allowing any goals in regulation, he will runaway with the award.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Regretfully admitting I've seen him in the Twilight movies...Vampires have great reflexes, so it is no surprise he is excelling as a goaltender.
Braden%20Holtby.jpg

Not to mention the sparkles distract all the shooters. Unfair, really.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Not to mention the sparkles distract all the shooters. Unfair, really.
Exactly, time for the league to implement the Cullen Rule.
I do remember the playoffs others are talking about though. He was only 22 and was fun to watch.
I won't be forgetting this.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I like how we're just ignoring an overtime goal in the interest of falsely establishing a "streak".

Of coure, we're fans of a league that doesn't count overtime losses as part of a losing streak (Toronto is 0-9-1 in their last 10, but the nhl.com standing page lists their streak as "lost 3"...), so at least we know where we get it from :laugh:

CAPS LOCK

Aug 10, 2005
I like how we're just ignoring an overtime goal in the interest of falsely establishing a "streak".

Of coure, we're fans of a league that doesn't count overtime losses as part of a losing streak (Toronto is 0-9-1 in their last 10, but the nhl.com standing page lists their streak as "lost 3"...), so at least we know where we get it from :laugh:

Don't worry, Holtby will have a chance to keep his "real" shutout streak alive tomorrow:sarcasm:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Could you kindly tell me how an overtime goal ties into a regulation period?

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Has been fantastic since a rough start to the season. However, doubt he gets much Vezina consideration - not because he's not deserving, but because pretty much everyone on the Caps but Ovi gets overlooked.

Was shafted from the all-star team while Halak, Elliott, etc. made the team - hell, he wasn't even next in line, Hutchinson was. That's some major oversight.

Besides, look at Backstrom. Has been an elite player for years and gets virtually no credit outside of Washington.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
To be honest I always feel like he's an excellent goalie but not quite unstoppable intimidating like Price or Rinne or other goalies can be. He'll make a ton of great saves but if you keep up the pressure he'll let some in eventually, but I could be biased because that's how it seems to go against the Rangers in my head.

can't argue he isn't having a good season though

you are talking about the "old" Holtby, he used to be consistently inconsistent, that was his signature even during his best stretches even prior to when Oates completely messed him up...but Holtby this season starting from early December looks like completely different goalie, this is why I said earlier "Korn magic"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Could you kindly tell me why we're ignoring overtime periods, like they don't count?

Nobody is ignoring them, it was even explicitly mentioned in the OP. However, a goal surrendered in OT doesn't change that he hasn't given up a goal in nine consecutive regulation periods. Pretty simple concept to understand, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->