Brad Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Brad Stuart

- Watching him currently play vs. Yotes, and looks very very good. Played 20+ min the other night, was also + 2...not a HUGE sample size, but what are peoples thoughts on this guy? I am 50/50...Here is a guy playing for the Wings, had a good contract with the Wings, played important minutes, then peaces out? B/C his wife didnt like the cold? I find this very intriguing, bc KH***(sorry lovers)*** receives crap in compensation/return for him, thus screwing the Wings over even more...

Personally, it makes me mad seeing him play for SJ, play well for them and for Todd McLellan..

You?

HTT3*

Brad Stuart

- Watching him currently play vs. Yotes, and looks very very good. Played 20+ min the other night, was also + 2...not a HUGE sample size, but what are peoples thoughts on this guy? I am 50/50...Here is a guy playing for the Wings, had a good contract with the Wings, played important minutes, then peaces out? B/C his wife didnt like the cold? I find this very intriguing, bc KH***(sorry lovers)*** receives crap in compensation/return for him, thus screwing the Wings over even more...

Personally, it makes me mad seeing him play for SJ, play well for them and for Todd McLellan..

You?

I thought the story was she couldn't leave California because she has kids that are not allowed to leave the state. Stuart made the right choice, he wanted to be with his wife. Can't blame the guy...

As for Holland not getting assets? Stuart was an UFA and said he wanted to play in California due to his circumstances. Who wanted to waste assets to trade for a guy that already made his intentions clear?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Brad Stuart

You?

Wait, so basically you're saying that last year when he played like crap, he had his eyes set on playing back home in San Jose? NO WAY!!! WHAT A NEW INSIGHT NONE OF US EVER THOUGHT OF!

Christian Ehrhoff got 4th rounder for his contract rights. If you're going to try and make it seem like Holland did something horrible because he traded Contract Rights for a draft pick and some 4th liner, well... Don't. Negotiating rights don't cost that much on the trade market. Holland didn't get jobbed. Don't even try blaming Holland.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Holland got the Sharks to give up an asset for a player who was going to sign there anyway. A player who had already said he absolutely would not sign with the Wings and wanted to sign with the Sharks.

MOveAlongFolksnothingtoseehere.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As mentioned before his wife's kids were a problem because of custody issues.

In any event he played very poorly here and racking up + against the Oilers and Flames aren't exactly shocking. I think he will play better there, but Stuart is slowing down in a hurry, when stay at home d-man start to struggle the end is near. Glad Holland got anything for him when we all knew where he was going. Wish him the best, but he was awful last year and our worst d-man in the playoffs if we are going to be honest on the end of Brad Stuart's tenure with the Wings. Worse than new favorite KQ.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Wait, so basically you're saying that last year when he played like crap, he had his eyes set on playing back home in San Jose? NO WAY!!! WHAT A NEW INSIGHT NONE OF US EVER THOUGHT OF!

Christian Ehrhoff got 4th rounder for his contract rights. If you're going to try and make it seem like Holland did something horrible because he traded Contract Rights for a draft pick and some 4th liner, well... Don't. Negotiating rights don't cost that much on the trade market. Holland didn't get jobbed. Don't even try blaming Holland.

Im not blaming Holland, just bringing up something. I just find this whole this interesting, watching Stuart play well for SJ....

As mentioned before his wife's kids were a problem because of custody issues.

In any event he played very poorly here and racking up + against the Oilers and Flames aren't exactly shocking. I think he will play better there, but Stuart is slowing down in a hurry, when stay at home d-man start to struggle the end is near. Glad Holland got anything for him when we all knew where he was going. Wish him the best, but he was awful last year and our worst d-man in the playoffs if we are going to be honest on the end of Brad Stuart's tenure with the Wings. Worse than new favorite KQ.

Thanks for the educated response, unlike some others..

Holland got the Sharks to give up an asset for a player who was going to sign there anyway. A player who had already said he absolutely would not sign with the Wings and wanted to sign with the Sharks.

MOveAlongFolksnothingtoseehere.jpg

cool picture bro, some kind of special. lemme guess, paint?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Im not blaming Holland, just bringing up something. I just find this whole this interesting, watching Stuart play well for SJ....
I find this very intriguing, bc KH***(sorry lovers)*** receives crap in compensation/return for him, thus screwing the Wings over even more...

How else am I supposed to interpret this?

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
How else am I supposed to interpret this?

People who love Holland will defend every move he makes, even the KQ one, thats what I meant when looking into my "sorry KH lovers" comment, :facepalm:

As for the Stuart stuff, considering his wife/kids were the problem, due to custody issues, then I',m sure Holland did everything he could to get the best deal as someone mentioned. As if I'm supposed to know players personal problems involving custody and marital status....lol

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
What was Holland supposed to do? LAst year at trade deadline we were healthy and leading the league in the presidents trophy race, a favorite to win the cup, and Pavel and Lids looked ****ing platinum... we added Quincey for a long deep run assuming someone got hurt.

Turns out .... a week later EVERYONE got hurt and the season when to **** @ the 65 game mark. We were in cup contention talks right up until Pav/Howie/Lids/E/Bert/Mule/Helm etc got hurt. If Holland flogged Stuart for a slightly better return than he got (UFA status ... wouldnt have gotten much) and we got bounced early anyways Holland would be crucified for that too.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The only criticism I can make is we should've dumped him at the deadline last year when it was obvious he was leaving and had no intention of playing well. He looked lost all year last year. Probably could've gotten a solid prospect from a team looking to bolster their blueline.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
What was Holland supposed to do? LAst year at trade deadline we were healthy and leading the league in the presidents trophy race, a favorite to win the cup, and Pavel and Lids looked ****ing platinum... we added Quincey for a long deep run assuming someone got hurt.

Turns out .... a week later EVERYONE got hurt and the season when to **** @ the 65 game mark. We were in cup contention talks right up until Pav/Howie/Lids/E/Bert/Mule/Helm etc got hurt. If Holland flogged Stuart for a slightly better return than he got (UFA status ... wouldnt have gotten much) and we got bounced early anyways Holland would be crucified for that too.

Should've flipped him for Doug Murray + pick. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

RedWingsNow*

All this Brad Stuart was "poor" is a lot of ****.

A lot of **** talkers on this forum.

Stuart was better than Lidstrom last year.

Trading him was not possible because Holland thought he could win last year. You don't trade your heart-and-soul defenseman before the playoffs start.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Brad Stuart's head was already in SJ and I can't blame him.

He had no contract. Imagine him giving 110% for Detroit then getting concussed in the playoffs. He didn't have many options team wise. All of his eggs in the SJ basket.

Not happy about it, but I understand it. Stuart was a warrior for us for years after we acquired him and I wish him the best in his future. Great player.

edit: also, those mentioning trading him at any point -- Holland had zero leverage with SJ and that was basically his only choice. We were better off keeping him for a playoff run.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
All this Brad Stuart was "poor" is a lot of ****.

A lot of **** talkers on this forum.

Trading him was not possible because Holland thought he could win last year. You don't trade your heart-and-soul defenseman before the playoffs start.

If he was our "heart-and-soul" dman, explains why we were out in 5:laugh:. He was not better than Lidstrom :shakehead

Last edited:

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Stuart was worse than Quincey last year. He was worse than Kindl. After acquiring Quincey, Stuart was the worst defenseman on the roster. He was absolutely terrible last season and should have been in the press box once the Quincey deal was made. Realistically, he should have been traded the moment his NTC was up, as I have been saying for years.

I said back then to try and trade him to Philly for Meszaros, Carle, or Coburn - or somewhere else for someone similar. How would the Wings look now if that deal had been made, assuming any necessary extensions? Kronwall, Carle/Meszaros/Coburn, White, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl would probably be the defense. There likely is no Quincey trade. Maybe there's a trade to add a forward with that pick instead?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Brad Stuart

You?

It was a family decision, a daughter from the wife's first marriage, guy hasn't played in SJ for seven years. Let's not embarrass the board with baseless speculation where complex personal matters are involved.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad