Sportsnet: Brad May predicted the Leafs would make the Playoffs (McClement, JvR, and RC)

ForSpareParts*

I'm sorry. I don't have a youtube video or a link to provide. Before the season started Brad May boldly predicted that the Leafs would make the post-season. His reasoning was simple: key off-season acquisitions Jay McClement / James van Riemsdyck, and Randy Carlyles' coaching (defensive systems). At the time it seemed that he was painting a positive picture because RC was his former coach, and that he's now a hockey media figure. I know it's only 7 games into the season, but every one of these things that he said would make Toronto competitive have been present.

Jay McClement Is a very competitive player. He makes many smart plays out there. His penalty killing is top notch. RC seems to put him in different situations and he keeps contributing. I feel really confident when he's out there. You know he's going to take care of things. He absolutely deserves the 'A'.

James van Riemsdyck I actually want him to succeed and be our new Dave Andreychuk. RC has him playing in front of the net on the PP and he's getting his opportunities. He's unselfish too. He could have buried a goal on that 2 on 1 with Kessel (vs. WASH), but instead elected to pass to help Phil out of his scoring slump. I can't wait to see what else he can do. A future all star? I can see fans warming up to this guy in a big way.

Randy Carlyle The team has bought in to the system. I think they respect him in a big way. Most importantly he has given the Buds a healthy self-esteem. Bonus: the kids are playing and playing well. :)

Do you think Brad May's "Keys To Success" will hold up? Did you predict RC, JM, and JvR would impact this team so much?

Go Leafs Go!

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I hope so. It has been too long since we've been in the playoffs which is a shame for a great hockey city like Toronto. Obviously we're not even close to Cup contenders since we're missing quite a few pieces but anything can happen once you make the POs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His keys to success will only go as far as Reimer takes them. Another knock to his coconut and the season will be pretty much over.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
His keys to success will only go as far as Reimer takes them. Another knock to his coconut and the season will be pretty much over.

That's definitely true but if this team plays a better team D (For example, Phoenix), average goalies can look like stars.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's definitely true but if this team plays a better team D (For example, Phoenix), average goalies can look like stars.

Who is the average Goalie after Reimer?

ForSpareParts*

As long as we have below average goaltending, we've also had:

-poor coaching
-poor penalty killing
-very little net presence in the PP or in 5 on 5 situations

I agree with the above comments about Reims. If he could give us some of what he brought when he first came in we might be land a playoff spot.

other new things:

-youthful contributions (Kadri and Frattin)
-scoring from 3 lines
-toughness

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Who is the average Goalie after Reimer?

Well that's a good question. I still think Scrivens isn't terrible and could work on his game. If PHX's defensive system can make Bryzgalov look like an all star goaltender, Scrivens can at least keep us in games.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Well that's a good question. I still think Scrivens isn't terrible and could work on his game. If PHX's defensive system can make Bryzgalov look like an all star goaltender, Scrivens can at least keep us in games.

In my books:
Reimer: skilled goalie with potential
Scrivens: Technical goalie with potential.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I hadn't watched much of Phoenix. Is Carlyle's system comparable to theirs?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
In my books:
Reimer: skilled goalie with potential
Scrivens: Technical goalie with potential.

I actually think they're both technical goalies. Reimer relies so much on being in position and just letting pucks hit him. He doesn't have the reflexes and mobility of a guy like say, Gustavsson. Although that's not necessarily a bad thing :laugh:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I hadn't watched much of Phoenix. Is Carlyle's system comparable to theirs?

Phoenix is even more defensive minded. Their D (after Yandle, at that time at least since OEL wasn't a Coyote yet) wasn't particularly impressive by any means but all their players bought in to the system and continue to so it really is a team effort to stop the puck from going in the net. Carlyle will, like Tippett, try to have the team buy in to the formula of playing team D. Defense wins championships.

Also, this is the kind of system where Beauchemin would have looked great, as he did under RC in Anaheim.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I actually think they're both technical goalies. Reimer relies so much on being in position and just letting pucks hit him. He doesn't have the reflexes and mobility of a guy like say, Gustavsson. Although that's not necessarily a bad thing :laugh:

Reims has more natural skill IMO. I don't know how to explain it but you can just see it I think. Agreed, both aren't very athletic goalies per say, scrivens is capable but not as much as Jonas was.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Reims has more natural skill IMO. I don't know how to explain it but you can just see it I think. Agreed, both aren't very athletic goalies per say, scrivens is capable but not as much as Jonas was.

I think both Reimer and Scrivens are in position so much that they don't HAVE to flop around to make a save, most of the time.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think both Reimer and Scrivens are in position so much that they don't HAVE to flop around to make a save, most of the time.
Pretty much, and their rebound control is more stronger as well so they don't have to do so. Jonas biggest flaw here was the quick rebound.

ForSpareParts*

Your MVP so far out of these 3?

please put a ✔ beside who you think has had the biggest impact so far:

Jay McClement
JvR
Randy Carlyle

I'm most impressed with McClement, RC a close 2nd.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
RC
JvR/McClemment.

Idk why our PK is doing so great, but whatever it is, keep continuing.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Jay McClement
JvR
Randy Carlyle ✔

RC for me. I think his system will define whether we float or sink this season and for a while.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Jay McClement
JvR
Randy Carlyle

Carlyle is a difference maker because he uses all the tools in the coaches box to put players in the best situations for the team to win, and understands the importance of defense when it comes to winning as a team.

At present he still doesn't have a lot of player personnel to be a contender, but he is doing the best he can with what he was given to work with.. "Playing the kids" has also rewarded him, as he does not give veterans a free ride because of "sense of entitlement" like we witnessed in the past.

ForSpareParts*

I sure hope the RC's system and a few acquisitions (over the next two seasons) could have us more competitive than 8th. Going several rounds in the playoffs could be in the cards. I think it will happen. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad