Brad Marchand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm a little shocked he was demoted honestly. He looks like typical old marchand to me. people need to remember he is not a point per game type of guy, he is going to have stretches where he slumps.

He has not played with that truculence we love so much...oops, wrong franchise;)

He does this every year, forget`s about his agitating way on the ice, it`s not just a coincidence that when he involves himself in some of the on ice BS, he produces, he hasn`t done this so far this year, he`ll be fine, he has stretches like this every season and has always bounced back

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think his struggles have been vastly overstated.

He has been mediocre in his own end a few times but I also think he's been the best player on that line (Bergy and Eriksson). He was really good today.

I couldn't agree more. People pointing the finger at Marchand for the early season second line struggles are misguided, IMO. That line is/was struggling because Bergeron hasn't looked a thing at all like his normal self so far this year. Moving Marchand down doesn't fix the issue either. Loui scoring 2 games in a row is more anecdotal than anything Smith is doing differently than Marchand was.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I couldn't agree more. People pointing the finger at Marchand for the early season second line struggles are misguided, IMO. That line is/was struggling because Bergeron hasn't looked a thing at all like his normal self so far this year. Moving Marchand down doesn't fix the issue either. Loui scoring 2 games in a row is more anecdotal than anything Smith is doing differently than Marchand was.

It looks to me that Marchand seems to be holding on to the puck longer than he should be and trying to get too cute when it's obviously not working right now. There are times he can turn players inside out, but right now it's not working. When he finally put a shot on net from the top of the circles, it went in, rather than trying to get it all the way to the net.

I don't think he's pouting or anything like that, it just appears that he's trying to do too much.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It looks to me that Marchand seems to be holding on to the puck longer than he should be and trying to get too cute when it's obviously not working right now. There are times he can turn players inside out, but right now it's not working. When he finally put a shot on net from the top of the circles, it went in, rather than trying to get it all the way to the net.

I don't think he's pouting or anything like that, it just appears that he's trying to do too much.

his best 2 games have been against detroit, with team canada's mike babcock behind the opposing bench. saw a lot of good things from 63 in last game. just a matter of time before he's "back".

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hmmmmmmm... Isn't Julien one of Babcock's TC assistant coaches?

he is, and assume MB would lean heavily on what clode says. but the human element tells me that marchand may want to impress the coach and possibly had a little more jump in his step. could be totally unrelated, too.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

What was your opinion of Marchaund's play in the finals last year?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What was your opinion of Marchaund's play in the finals last year?

I don't think his performance was up to par in the finals. For the record, a lot of the forwards on the roster under delivered during their cup run. The defense really carried them offensively. It was why they fell short, IMO. They just didn't get enough from several of their key forwards.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Now I'm not a big fan of Marchand but I do give him his due. In fact, I wasn't "sold" on him for a long time but finally came around. Personally I like him on the 3rd line and, IMO, on this team, that's where he should be. It give more scoring touch to that line without taking anything away from either the 1st or 2nd. I'm sure he'll get over the funk he is in. The question for some now is, "Do we want to pay a 3rd liner $4.5 mil for 4 more years?"

If it comes to it, I'd be willing to trade him depending on what comes back. But then, I'm not a big fan of his.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I really hope Brad finds his game, and soon. As awesome as it has been to see the LKI thrive, they can't always be the line to score. Eventually, they're either going to slump or get shut down when some teams start to wise up to their play.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I think he has been better the last couple games. When Bergy starts to also produce, the points will come back for Marchand.

Ah, and also, stop putting Kelly on the 2nd PP unit and get Marchand back there...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't think his performance was up to par in the finals. For the record, a lot of the forwards on the roster under delivered during their cup run. The defense really carried them offensively. It was why they fell short, IMO. They just didn't get enough from several of their key forwards.

I think a lot of people forget that last year a few weeks before the playoffs, Marchand sustained a concussion. He came back pretty quickly, but I never thought he looked liked himself then, and I have no doubt that the concussion was to blame. Most players take awhile to get back to their old selves, and while I don't think that is the issue this year, it probably didn't help.

The kid is a proven big game performer and I have no doubts he will be back and has looked better of late. Needs to get some of that chirp/hate going on IMO.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
I think a lot of people forget that last year a few weeks before the playoffs, Marchand sustained a concussion. He came back pretty quickly, but I never thought he looked liked himself then, and I have no doubt that the concussion was to blame. Most players take awhile to get back to their old selves, and while I don't think that is the issue this year, it probably didn't help.

The kid is a proven big game performer and I have no doubts he will be back and has looked better of late. Needs to get some of that chirp/hate going on IMO.

:handclap: (not for the Volchenkov elbow, but for the observation).

No question, Marchand is not the same player he was in 11-12. He did not play during the lockout and it showed, and he certainly wasn't the same player he was in '13 after coming back from the March 8 concussion in Newark. He also got dinged in this season's opener vs. TB at the penalty box and in the next game on the Abdelkader cutback hit. JJ's right, he picked up his energy vs. the Sharks, and he's beginnjng to intersperse some vintage efforts into his otherwise-lifeless outings. Note how long Marchand holds the puck and pulls his reverse moves when he's cycling in the corners, and how hard he skates with it (ie. is the courage there to take it wide on the defenseman?). These are two of the telltale gauges for Marchand's engagement level.
Concussions (as we saw with Bergeron especially in the 08-09 season) can take away a player's jump and affect his stride even after he's been cleared to play. It's a complex matter, and the scary aspect in Marchand's case is the game he plays is a hazardous one and you cannot number the guys around the league who would love to be the next messenger from hell ... goes with the territory.
IMO the Bruins should be concerned in a general kind of way.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
One more thing (always a lie ... right through my teeth ... :D): Claude Julien is the best I've seen in the money era at using line changes to bring about better results. The Lucic thing last season, same thing. Not about singling out a guy for humiliation but about getting four lines going because, when they do get four lines going, the Bruins become greater than the sum of their parts. In Marchand's case, it's similar. They know exactly what's going on with him and they're trying to bring him back to his level while, at a higher priority, making things work for the two-way game on all lines. If it were only about individuals and merits, wouldn't Paille have started the season in the top nine ahead of newcomers who hadn't proven a thing in the NHL?
If we believe Julien's quotes on these matters, his maneuvering makes a ton more sense than if we insist he's babbling to cover up the fact that he's unhappy with a player's effort and is punishing that player old-school style.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Not really worried about Marchy. Our favorite little ball of hate just needs a new opponent to focus his hatred on. The season is early yet. It *will happen. It's just a matter of when. Once that happens, our little Marchy will be back to the one we all know and love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad