Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
That explains the Miller contract. :laugh:

Marchand must have called in a favor. He needed Sweeney to pay Miller more money so he could afford his piece of the lodge.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
brad-marchand-with-daughter-1552238051.jpg

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Life after 'The Lick': Is the Bruins' Brad Marchand on the other side of $879,522.46 of angst?

Bruce Cassidy addressed Marchand’s legacy. The left wing had turned 30 the month before. It was time, Cassidy said, that Marchand thought about how he wanted to be remembered, even if the end wasn’t close.

Julie Cassidy says she didn’t know her guest as Marshy, Little Ball of Hate, a rat or a licker. He was Brad: a good husband, father, son, grandson and brother.

“It’s disappointing,” she told Marchand of the lick’s aftermath, “because this is not who you are.”

Marchand acknowledged his mistake.

“This is what I did wrong. Hard stop,” Julie Cassidy recalls Marchand saying. “This is how I want to move forward.”

The evening concluded. The families said their goodbyes. As Marchand drove home, he reflected on how the Cassidys — his friends, not his coach and his coach’s wife — helped sharpen the realization that he was at a crossroads.

“You’ve got to put your pride aside a little bit and think long-term,” Marchand said. “That’s what I started to do — look a little further down the road, look at the guys around me that have had success and all kinds of good praise and try to follow their footsteps. It just opened my eyes a little bit and allowed me to try to make good decisions in my actions and my mindset.”

Marchand has played 207 games without an incident: no fines, no suspensions, nothing since that dinner at the Cassidys.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Life after 'The Lick': Is the Bruins' Brad Marchand on the other side of $879,522.46 of angst?

Bruce Cassidy addressed Marchand’s legacy. The left wing had turned 30 the month before. It was time, Cassidy said, that Marchand thought about how he wanted to be remembered, even if the end wasn’t close.

Julie Cassidy says she didn’t know her guest as Marshy, Little Ball of Hate, a rat or a licker. He was Brad: a good husband, father, son, grandson and brother.

“It’s disappointing,” she told Marchand of the lick’s aftermath, “because this is not who you are.”

Marchand acknowledged his mistake.

“This is what I did wrong. Hard stop,” Julie Cassidy recalls Marchand saying. “This is how I want to move forward.”

The evening concluded. The families said their goodbyes. As Marchand drove home, he reflected on how the Cassidys — his friends, not his coach and his coach’s wife — helped sharpen the realization that he was at a crossroads.

“You’ve got to put your pride aside a little bit and think long-term,” Marchand said. “That’s what I started to do — look a little further down the road, look at the guys around me that have had success and all kinds of good praise and try to follow their footsteps. It just opened my eyes a little bit and allowed me to try to make good decisions in my actions and my mindset.”

Marchand has played 207 games without an incident: no fines, no suspensions, nothing since that dinner at the Cassidys.

This is Fluto at his best, as an aside. He flubs his hockey analysis at times, but he is great with these types of stories. Really good read.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Another shorty and another big goal. Nothing new. Most competitive guy on the team. Name a better player in the NHL when all of the following are taken into account:

Short-handed goals
Big goals
Defensive zone play
Offensive zone play
Neutral zone play
PK ability
PP ability
Creativity/skill with the puck
Desire to win
Edginess

Sure, there are players who are better at some of those things, but one would be hard-pressed to find a player who is as well-rounded and as good at the sum of all of those areas as Marchy.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Since the start of the 16/17 season, only McDavid and Kucherov have more points-per-game than Brad. That's 5 seasons of super-elite hockey. I think it is time to start thinking of him as a future hall of famer, especially, if he can keep this up for a few more years.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Since the start of the 16/17 season, only McDavid and Kucherov have more points-per-game than Brad. That's 5 seasons of super-elite hockey. I think it is time to start thinking of him as a future hall of famer, especially, if he can keep this up for a few more years.
Amazing too considering he takes regular shifts on the PK unlike the other elite offensive players in the league.

Reactions: Pierre-MIchel

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I already consider him a future HOF player.

Reactions: Ivo

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I do too and on hockey terms he is well on his way. But I feel that he may be hurt by his controversial reputation, which to be fair, is often warranted, although he has turned the page on his antics in the last few seasons. Winning the Gold with Canada next year would probably go a long way for him to overcome that hurdle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalus

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I do too and on hockey terms he is well on his way. But I feel that he may be hurt by his controversial reputation, which to be fair, is often warranted, although he has turned the page on his antics in the last few seasons. Winning the Gold with Canada next year would probably go a long way for him to overcome that hurdle.
Let's look at the possbility of Marchand in the HHOF
PlayerGoal FinishesAssist finishesPoint FinishesSelke finishesAll-star team votingHart Voting
Marchand4,65,85,5,6,9,101,2,2,4,55,7,9
Kariya4,7,9,103,83,3,4,7-1,1,1,2,6,7,7,82,8,9
Heatley2,5,6,8,8,9-4,4,9-1,2,4,4,510
Tkachuk1,6,7,7,10---2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,610
Hossa4,5,5,6-5,65,7,102,3,3,3,610
Fleury2,6,76,76,7,852,3,3,4,7,105,5
Iginla1,1,3,3101,3,6,8-1,1,1,2,3,5,5,7,72,2,3,10
St. Louis4,51,1,2,5,7,91,1,2,5,64,1,2,2,2,2,3,5,6,7,81,3,9
Recchi91,4,7,93,4,5,10-2,4,4,4,5,7,76,9
Alfredsson9,9,984,7,94,102,3,4,5,7,8,9,95,
Shanahan5,6,6,9,10-8,10-1,1,2,3,3,4,4,4,4,6,7,9,109,
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Keep in mind, Kariya, Hossa, Iginla, St Louis, Recchi and Shanahan are HHOF, while Heatley, Tkachuk, Fleury, and Alfredsson are not currently HHOFers.

If you compare how Marchand has done in Hart voting, he has done better than the non-HHOF guys and behind only Kariya, Iginla, and St. Louis. Who knows what the end of the season will bring.

Marchand has been a first and second-team all-star three times. That is also better than the non-HHOF players and better than Recchi (1), Hossa (1), tied with Shanahan (3), but Kariya (4), Iginla (4), St. Louis (5). Aside from Hossa, the other HHOFers have him on longevity. How this year finishes can have an impact.

Marchand is 3rd best in Selke voting, behind Alfredsson and Hossa, but I think he will get in the top-10 again this year.

Offensively, Marchand is probably the weakest, but he is having a great year this year and will make a big difference.

If Marchand had to retire tomorrow, he isn’t in the HHOF IMO. If Marchand was liked like Hossa was, he most likely gets in. However, since he is hated, it would be easy to put him in with Heatley, Tkachuk, Alfredsson, and Fleury. His peak is better than these players, but behind in longevity to Tkachuk, Alfredsson, and Fleury IMO.

Nevertheless, a strong finish this season gets him in the HHOF conversation. Another elite season would seal it IMO reputation be damned!

Reactions: Ivo and Spooner st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad