Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
A contrite Brad Marchand regrets his antics in the playoffs - The Boston Globe

“I had no idea it was going to get this big, and that was not my intention,” said Marchand, who was informed by the NHL office following Game 4 of the Tampa Bay series that another of his “kissing” displays would be subject to supplemental discipline. “So . . . I didn’t really pay attention to it a ton at the time. I never thought for a second it was going to get that big.”

Later he added, “I think the biggest thing for me now is to really take a pretty hard look in the mirror and, you know, realize the actions, some of the things that I’m doing have much bigger consequences than I may ever think or really believe would come out of it.

“I’m really a pretty easygoing guy, and there’s not a whole lot that fazes me at all. The last thing I ever want to do is bring the embarrassment on my teammates and organization that I did.”
Good for Brad.

Love the kid but the licking was a bit too weird for me.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I hope they don't, 30 teams would get in line to have Marchand on their team.

Speaking as a guy who's played hockey his entire life and has had pests on his team (and been a pest), I guarantee his teammates love him, even if he goes too far once in a while.
We get to see the players interact up close at every home game. From where I sit his team mates like him.

At the end of every home game Bergy gives everyone a hi-five but Brad gets a hug.

Reactions: NDiesel

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
A contrite Brad Marchand regrets his antics in the playoffs - The Boston Globe

“I had no idea it was going to get this big, and that was not my intention,” said Marchand, who was informed by the NHL office following Game 4 of the Tampa Bay series that another of his “kissing” displays would be subject to supplemental discipline. “So . . . I didn’t really pay attention to it a ton at the time. I never thought for a second it was going to get that big.”

Later he added, “I think the biggest thing for me now is to really take a pretty hard look in the mirror and, you know, realize the actions, some of the things that I’m doing have much bigger consequences than I may ever think or really believe would come out of it.

“I’m really a pretty easygoing guy, and there’s not a whole lot that fazes me at all. The last thing I ever want to do is bring the embarrassment on my teammates and organization that I did.”

It’s encouraging that Brad said what he said, and I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt (again). But in the end, talk is cheap and I’m hoping he backs that up with how he acts on the ice.

He is such a talented player, and I love his competitiveness and his skill set. It kills me when he embarrasses himself, and more importantly, the team that I’ve loved for over 40 years.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Don Sweeney, Bruce Cassidy weigh in on Brad Marchand

“Yesterday was eye-opening for me that this one's hit a lot harder than some of the other things that have come his way,” said Sweeney. “I think he realizes the impact. We spoke a little about his family and how it reflects on him as a person, more so than him as player. I think he's gained a tremendous amount respect around the National Hockey League, worldwide as a matter of fact for him as a player. And I think that's where the attention needs to be 100 percent focused on, his impact as a hockey player...and as a leader of our hockey club. The things that he does to take away from that really don't need to exist anymore. And it'll be up to him. The proof will be if he can find that line and never really cross it anymore. Because he doesn't need to. He's accomplished things as a hockey player and now hopefully he wants to accomplish things as a leader and quality person. He was honest about it.”

“Brad's an elite payer in the National Hockey League so when I have conversations with him, it always starts there. Then it goes to 'Well, what do you want your legacy to be?' He's at a stage in his life and maturity where he understands, he truly gets it that he doesn't need the other stuff to make him to truly be an elite player,” said Cassidy. “So the licking? Is that crossing the line? Apparently it is. Sow we've talked about that. And I think Brad is ready to do that. We have his back. We always. As Donnie said, there are people around him, including his coach, his teammates. (Zdeno Chara) said it the other day. We love what Brad brings on the ice and that's what we want to be focused on. Having discussions with him, he does have a family now and that's part of it as well. There's a certain level of behavior he needs to get to. And he's admitted it. That's where we're going with Brad. We want him to keep being an excellent hockey player, without some of the other stuff. And we're going to work with him to do that.”

Reactions: Spooner st

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Don Sweeney, Bruce Cassidy weigh in on Brad Marchand

“Yesterday was eye-opening for me that this one's hit a lot harder than some of the other things that have come his way,” said Sweeney. “I think he realizes the impact. We spoke a little about his family and how it reflects on him as a person, more so than him as player. I think he's gained a tremendous amount respect around the National Hockey League, worldwide as a matter of fact for him as a player. And I think that's where the attention needs to be 100 percent focused on, his impact as a hockey player...and as a leader of our hockey club. The things that he does to take away from that really don't need to exist anymore. And it'll be up to him. The proof will be if he can find that line and never really cross it anymore. Because he doesn't need to. He's accomplished things as a hockey player and now hopefully he wants to accomplish things as a leader and quality person. He was honest about it.”

“Brad's an elite payer in the National Hockey League so when I have conversations with him, it always starts there. Then it goes to 'Well, what do you want your legacy to be?' He's at a stage in his life and maturity where he understands, he truly gets it that he doesn't need the other stuff to make him to truly be an elite player,” said Cassidy. “So the licking? Is that crossing the line? Apparently it is. Sow we've talked about that. And I think Brad is ready to do that. We have his back. We always. As Donnie said, there are people around him, including his coach, his teammates. (Zdeno Chara) said it the other day. We love what Brad brings on the ice and that's what we want to be focused on. Having discussions with him, he does have a family now and that's part of it as well. There's a certain level of behavior he needs to get to. And he's admitted it. That's where we're going with Brad. We want him to keep being an excellent hockey player, without some of the other stuff. And we're going to work with him to do that.”
Perfectly said. Glad they are trying to get that message through to him. Reminds me of a pro wrestler who is above average, but relies on gimmicks to get himself over even more. Then when the wrestler actually becomes elite it's time to lose the gimmickry because he has arrived. Brad has arrived. Time to lose the foolishness. He doesn't need to be doing it any more. He can still have an edge without the stupid crap. The best way to get in the heads of opponents is to light up the scoreboard, which is what Brad does about as well as anyone in the league now. He is so stinking competitive that I think what will change his antics is when he fully realizes his behavior is costing the team. Hopefully that change happens in the upcoming season.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I still think it's just ridiculous that he's thrown hits that can and have legitimately hurt people, has speared people in the junk, elbowed them in the head, and everyone's just like "that's hockey," but he licks one guy and the whole hockey world stops in its tracks.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I still think it's just ridiculous that he's thrown hits that can and have legitimately hurt people, has speared people in the junk, elbowed them in the head, and everyone's just like "that's hockey," but he licks one guy and the whole hockey world stops in its tracks.
So. Much. This.

Been saying this all week.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Perfectly said. Glad they are trying to get that message through to him. Reminds me of a pro wrestler who is above average, but relies on gimmicks to get himself over even more. Then when the wrestler actually becomes elite it's time to lose the gimmickry because he has arrived. Brad has arrived. Time to lose the foolishness. He doesn't need to be doing it any more. He can still have an edge without the stupid crap. The best way to get in the heads of opponents is to light up the scoreboard, which is what Brad does about as well as anyone in the league now. He is so stinking competitive that I think what will change his antics is when he fully realizes his behavior is costing the team. Hopefully that change happens in the upcoming season.
What you're saying is Brad Marchand is indeed Goldust?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Neither will Ryan Kesler from 2011

With his ridiculous shorthanded goal, ahh the good old days.

tumblr_lmv99hRewa1qff0tw.gif

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Vegas Golden Knights on the verge of hitting the jackpot - The Boston Globe

If you have the slightest fear that the Bruins are peeved enough at Brad Marchand and his active tongue that they would consider trading him, three words: ain’t gonna happen.

Beginning with his first full NHL season in 2010-11, the L’il Ball o’Hate ranks 12th overall — among players with a minimum 400 games over those eight seasons — for his goal-scoring average.
In the modern-day NHL, he is the sniper that Bruins fans for years begged then-GM Harry Sinden to find.

Reactions: Hali33 and Ladyfan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Vegas Golden Knights on the verge of hitting the jackpot - The Boston Globe

If you have the slightest fear that the Bruins are peeved enough at Brad Marchand and his active tongue that they would consider trading him, three words: ain’t gonna happen.

Beginning with his first full NHL season in 2010-11, the L’il Ball o’Hate ranks 12th overall — among players with a minimum 400 games over those eight seasons — for his goal-scoring average.
In the modern-day NHL, he is the sniper that Bruins fans for years begged then-GM Harry Sinden to find.
Agree no way Bruins are trading him,but also there is no reason he can’t control his antics a little bit more,it might even help his game,getting even a hint of respect from the refs could really go along way.Dont get me wrong I love the guy,but come on Brad just a little less antics wouldn’t hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->