TSN: Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak earn spots on TSN's Top 50 list

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I was amazed they dropped Toews and Kopitar as much as they did

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I was amazed they dropped Toews and Kopitar as much as they did

the truth is their play has dropped off a bit/battling injuries

Kane is no doubt the Hawks most valuable player right now.

I wonder what Krejci excuse is =T

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Cam Talbot ? Mitch Marner at 50, give me a break, should be nowhere near that list. Austin Mathews already at #10, you see why TSN is called the Toronto Sports Network.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cam Talbot ? Mitch Marner at 50, give me a break, should be nowhere near that list. Austin Mathews already at #10, you see why TSN is called the Toronto Sports Network.

Matthews is a top talent...at #10 ...yeah a little high

i would have Marchand higher

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cam Talbot...really?

The Reinhardt for pick 16 (Connor or Barzal) and 31 (Carlo) for a guy who was selected by Vegas and won't ever amount to much in NHL is so bad you have to give Chiarelli a gift

I'd rather have Rask with a Long Island Iced Tea in him than Talbot straight

Glorydaze within 5 minutes of the Edmonton/Islanders trade texted me this is a brutal mistake by Chia and followed it up the next day he could have taken Carlo

Nice call Joe :handclap:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You mean the guy 3rd in the league in goals last year at 10? What a travasty.

Kucherov is No. 7, where's the Canadian bias there?

Fact is, list like these are 90% about what a guy did last year, the other 10% what he's done historically.

I wouldn't have Talbot in my Top 50, but he's a very good goaltender.

Did any team have 3 forwards on the list besides the Bruins? (EDIT I see Winnipeg)

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Those 3 are easily top 20 players in the league. When together on a line, they are the best line in hockey.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Marchand at 18 indicates that in his case his historical performance was valued higher than last year's. If he repeats or even regresses a bit this year, he'll likely rise a few spots to maybe 12 next year.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
You mean the guy 3rd in the league in goals last year at 10? What a travasty.

Kucherov is No. 7, where's the Canadian bias there?

Fact is, list like these are 90% about what a guy did last year, the other 10% what he's done historically.

I wouldn't have Talbot in my Top 50, but he's a very good goaltender.

Did any team have 3 forwards on the list besides the Bruins? (EDIT I see Winnipeg)

There is a lot more to being a top player then scoring goals, being able to play in your own end is also very important and Mathews is nowhere close to being in the upper echelon of defensive forwards. I'm not doubting his talent, but my beef is having him #10 after only 1 year.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Reinhardt for pick 16 (Connor or Barzal) and 31 (Carlo) for a guy who was selected by Vegas and won't ever amount to much in NHL is so bad you have to give Chiarelli a gift

I'd rather have Rask with a Long Island Iced Tea in him than Talbot straight

Glorydaze within 5 minutes of the Edmonton/Islanders trade texted me this is a brutal mistake by Chia and followed it up the next day he could have taken Carlo

Nice call Joe :handclap:

That move actually reminds me a lot of the Seguin deal.

I know, I know...rough comparison. But it's one of those deals where it seems like Chia zeroes in on a player he, for whatever reason, really wants and gives up things without considering how disproportionate the value swap is. You want Loui Eriksson? Fine. Have a conversation and see if you can make it happen. Don't give up a goddamn second overall pick at 20 years old for him. You want Griffin Reinhart? Fine. See if you can make it work. But don't give up what is essentially two first round picks for him. It's just foolishness.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There is a lot more to being a top player then scoring goals, being able to play in your own end is also very important and Mathews is nowhere close to being in the upper echelon of defensive forwards. I'm not doubting his talent, but my beef is having him #10 after only 1 year.

I don't disagree. It's not just about goals and points.

But this list is largely about that, and how these players produced last year.

Is Brent Burns ranked where is he is because he's a fantastic defensive player? No, because he had amazing goal totals for a D-man last season.

Not so much about who are the best all-around players.

Don't put too much stock in it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That move actually reminds me a lot of the Seguin deal.

I know, I know...rough comparison. But it's one of those deals where it seems like Chia zeroes in on a player he, for whatever reason, really wants and gives up things without considering how disproportionate the value swap is. You want Loui Eriksson? Fine. Have a conversation and see if you can make it happen. Don't give up a goddamn second overall pick at 20 years old for him. You want Griffin Reinhart? Fine. See if you can make it work. But don't give up what is essentially two first round picks for him. It's just foolishness.

While I agree to an extent, the difference was that Eriksson was a bonafide NHL player, while Reinhart was not even the Isles best AHL d-man.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
OK, you can make the case for how they performed last year being a significant factor. What about Marchand then? He scored exactly one less goal than Matthews while playing SIGNIFICANTLY better defensively. If last year was heavily weighted, then TSN **** the bed in putting Marchand so low.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00