Status
Not open for further replies.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
wait for it.

38592327-lighting-the-fuse-on-a-bomb.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So why is what basically amounts as assault on an unwilling combatant kosher but Wilson making a bad play that was still in the context of a game worth 20 games.

This sport is ass backwards sometimes, sanctimonious about hits to the head that are arguably a risk of a fast game where fractions of a second determine legality and contact point. (Which just be clear I’m not saying doesn’t have merit, I understand stand the fear and reaction to plays like Wilson’s).

In the same breath of that outcry this sport celebrates the assault of a guy for celebration, a beat down that had several unblocked head blows. An assault that results in just being booted for the game.

Like I’ll believe the NHL’s Schtick about safety when these glaring oversights aren’t so apparent

I didn’t make the rules.

Score as much as you want. At some point you gotta act like you been there or show a shred of professionalism. It’s 7-0 and you’re celebrating in front of the other teams bench? You deserve the beating. You don’t show up the other guys like that.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It could have.

Remember Savard? Remember how dangerous that was? That’s why Washington fans feel outraged, getting a concussion is something that happens when someone starts throwing, especially when their opponent doesn’t want to fight.

Just throwing it out there since you are wondering why people are outraged. People don’t like dangerous plays. We don’t need more Savard cases.

Had Marchand gone with the elbow he'd deserve the 10+. I hope he sticks to dirty trips and licks if he MUST do something. No headshots.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
The game was 6-0 and Eller scored an easy goal on some bad goaltending by Halak. Eller celebrated by waving his hand and wrist almost in a mocking manner (a decent amount of players do it as a celebration) and did it again passing the bruins bench.

Marchand May get a call from the league... possibly a game or a fine.

If the league is trying to crack down on dirty plays... this is the exact play you look at. Eller clearly said no to the fight, Marchand then threw punches while Eller still had his gloves in and stick in hand.

I love fighting and that gritty play, but this is unacceptable. There’s no place for it.

The bruins lost 7-0... emotion got the best of Marchand, but his name is getting synonymous for dirty plays and this just adds to it.

Boston can’t be upset when something goes against them.
This is a good take to examine the down the line differences between the two types of hockey fans out there.

You say Eller said no to the fight so it should stop or not happen.

I say he said yes as soon as he ran his mouth after scoring a goal in a 7-0 game. Whether he decides to participate after that point is irrelevant.

Not sure there’s an in between with fans

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
If you can't handle getting embarrassed then maybe try to stop being embarrassing. It's not Eller's fault that the Bruins played like ****. I hate the pathetic sore loser mentality.

what about the poor winner mentality then ? hot dog celebration after the goal and did it again in front of Bruins bench

complete douche move and he deserved what he got..

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
Marchand lost all respect from anyone with half a brain when he licked Callahan. This just shows he hasn't changed from being the little bitch. 7-0 or is it 15-0?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Whats stopping him?

And marchand ellers not a fair fight.. how the hell mot?
I mean would fans be able to come in here an brush that hit off without being called disgusting, since assuming here that Marchand jumped Eller that same game. Seems about the same pace of reasoning

Size isn’t the only thing about a fair fight... I’ve never heard Eller described as a fighter, tough guy, or even physical player... and he clearly wasn’t ready to fight there.

I’m quickly turning on Wilson as a Caps fan, but shot like Marchand just did makes this game seem more gratuitous than WWE to casual fans and outsiders. And the head damage... I mean come on, how do you hate “headshots” but support fights in general, let alone against players not ready to protect themselves

Some hypocrites in this thread for sure

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
and what if you concuss the guy with your first punch giving him severe brain damage?

Supplementary discipline, I'd imagine. On the extreme side, what happened to Todd Bertuzzi.

I dunno. Fighting and instigating fights are both illegal, hence the penalties.

Marchand is probably my most hated player in the league, but on the scale of Marchand-isms, this one is pretty low on said scale and IMO seems to have been punished appropriately, including a game misconduct.

Do you think it should be more?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not really how head trauma works, doesn’t onset immediately and often CTE isn’t apparent for years.

OPs point is if we’re making a safer leave than why is this still kosher? It’s a pretty evident example of blows to the head but the context of it being a fight vs hit makes it somehow acceptable.

Then i expect to see you leading the charge every time there’s a fight. Every time.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
sore winner is far worse than a sore loser. honestly if you're going to taunt someone after crushing them you're TRYING to get punched.

if that's what happened, anyway.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Marchand is definitely a rat, shame someone didn't press sexual assault charges on that creepy pos with his licking antics.

I look forward to the day he gets Wilsond.

It just occurred to me there's still time to get Wilson and Marchand into a rocket and set coordinates for the Sun. Maybe NASA could do some pro bono work for the good of mankind.

Reactions: dukeofjive

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There are a good 3-5 punches landed before Eller drops the gloves. Eller clearly didn't want to fight. Marchand punched him until his choices were fight or turtle.

He earned it. It may be 2018 hockey but it is still hockey. What purpose did it serve to mock the Bruins bench then trash talk as he entered his bench?

Reactions: Gnome17

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Just a note. That bleeding from the side of Eller's head. You can punch a guy onto IR but cant check someone there. Its an interesting dynamic. Yes, yes a player knows what he is getting into when he agrees to fight, but then we have this where Eller is neither a fighter nor consenting to fight.
He took his own gloves off, tell the whole story instead of making shit up. He scores and makes it 7-0 then make motions towards the Bruins bench and start yapping, if you are going to talk the talk, better be ready to back it up. He knew what he was doing and you can be sure he won’t do it again, he is a puke and just got schooled, got what he derserved, looked good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad